12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 12:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Orange Flashes in Exported Movies

buckleydog

I am using Premiere Pro CS3 on a PC running WIndows XP sp2 with P4 and 3gig of RAM. The video card is a RADEON x300 series.

My source for videos is a Panasonic SDR-H200 Hard Disk Palmcorder that creates .MOD files using MPEG2 compression.

I simply change the file extension to .MPG in order to import the files to Premiere - no conversion other than that.

When I export movies using the Media Encoder I usually get one or more brief orange flashes in the video. The flashes fill the entire screen for a split second so I'd say for maybe 15 frames.

Here are the specs on the source video:

Type: MPEG Movie
      File Size: 1.7 GB
      Image Size: 704 x 480
      Pixel Depth: 704
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Total Duration: 00;25;47;01
      Average Data Rate: 1.1 MB / second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.909

and here is the summary of my encoder settings:

Exporting to MPEG2

Video Codec MainConcept MPEG Video

NTSC, 720x480, 29.97 non-drop frame[fps], Lower, Quality 5

VBR, 2 Pass, Min 2.50, Target 4.20, Max 6.00 [Mbps]

I've trimmed the source video down to a seven minute segment, added a still title with an iris transition on the source video at the top and a dip to black at the end. Other than that I am not using any video effects at all.

I know there are a lot more encoder settings but I've left them at the defaults because I'm not sure what they do yet.

Here is a link to the exported video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNumHDFowg8

There's an example of the flash at 0:15 and again at 0:20 in this particular file.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this and point me in the right direction to fix it?

THANKS!

• 1. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

Tho the editing softwares these days(talking as If I had more than 2+years of experience) can natively edit a wide range of codecs, I usually just convert(the ones that give me trouble) to DVCPRO or DVCPRO50(for a closer to original quality...not that you can see it withoug hurting your eyes). I've also had problems where the audio skips and gurgles in the clip, but this happens only in the editing software. The remedy was to export the original to H.264 and convert that file back to DVCPRO/PRO50.

Talking bout Quicktime here.

• 2. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While you may SOMETIMES use MPEG as an edit source (other people can't get those to work at all) your BEST edit source is DV AVI type 2

Try converting your edit files and see what happens

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_convert_my_files%3F

• 3. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a LINK that Ann Bens provided for conversion of MOD & TOD files.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an ARTICLE in the PrE FAQ's on converting with CyberLink's PowerDirector. Unfortunately, the screen-cap of the PowerDirector Export module has been lost, with the forum changeover. Still, the steps are outlined.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also... go to my Adobe notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files

There are some products listed there (which I have not used, only read about in the forum) which may do a better job of "light" editing of MPEG files

There is also a link there to an article about why editing MPEG is very difficult

• 6. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Good consolidation of conversion techniques and tools.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                      buckleydog Level 1

Thanks for the pile of information John. So I understand I'm using the wrong tool for the job here but maybe someday I'll own a pro camera - you never know...

I grabbed VirtualDub MPEG2 and I'll see what kind of results I get using that to convert to AVI and then using Premiere to compress back down to MPEG2.

I'll let you know how it goes and thanks again for your help.

Todd

• 8. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

As you are finding out, PrPro (and the conversion programs, etc.) is but a tool. One can never have too many specialized tools in the old roll-away. This is especially true, when one has to deal with other formats and CODEC's. You have the right attitude. Too many expect PrPro (or FCP, or Avid, et al) to just "handle it," regardless of what they feed into the program.

To date, there are very few sources that cannot be converted to work, at some degree, with most NLE's. It's finding the right "flex-socket" with a "wobble-extension" to use on the ratchet. Too many expect success, when using an adjustable spanner, and cannot understand why it won't work. Keep that attitude and you'll edit well and go far (Chinese proverb from a fortune cookie?)

Hunt

• 9. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                          buckleydog Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the pep talk! I feel kinda stupid now that I'm thinking more about what the heck I'm doing here. I am an audio engineer and would never work with an mp3 file as my source unless I absolutely had to - duh! So why edit a compressed movie then? Well, because Premiere was kind enough to let me work that way so I did.

We'll see if working on an MPEG2->AVI->MPEG2 gives me better results.

I see it's a deep forest of knowledge I've wandered into here. Yippee!!!

Todd

• 10. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Quite a few Audio-folk here lately. Glad that they can add their expertise to that side of editing.

Though I come from film, I feel the same way about MP3's too, and with the exception of a few tiny SFX files either go to the source, or convert (we both know that this will not get anything BACK, just make using those files easier).

Video is exactly the same, but sometimes we have to work with what the client hands over and just give 'em a caveat - "ain't gonna' look pretty... "

The "pep talk," was because far too few see the "light," and just insist on fighting it. Most of the "I HATE Adobe" threads are from people, who never did "get it." That's why I applauded you. Right mind set and it will help with Video editing, I assure you.

Hunt

PS please do not hesitate to contribute to the many Audio threads. Most of us get by with Audio, but having experts in it is a real boon, and everyone benefits and learns.

• 11. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                              buckleydog Level 1

After playing around with the settings in VirutalDub I found some that will create an AVI that I can use in Premiere. I exported to MPEG2 and no orange flashes. Yay. Could be that it just didn't screw up the export this time but hopefully I found a better way to edit thanks to your help.

I'll drop by the Audio forum and see if I can help out.

Thanks!

Todd

www.toddevans.net

www.myspace.com/toddsevans

• 12. Re: Orange Flashes in Exported Movies
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I'll drop by the Audio forum and see if I can help out.

Todd,

Actually it was this forum that I was referring to. As PrPro does some Audio work (for what it does, it does it well), users here often have Audio issues inside of PrPro. Having expert advice from the Audio production end will be very helpful. You're already in the "right" forum, and it's just the individual threads, where input would always be appreciated.

Good luck,

Hunt