8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 2:30 PM by Stryder T

Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"

Web Traffic

Hi

I just installed Adobe 9 Reader and tried opening a PDF file. The moment I double clicked the file, it showed a small window saying "insufficient data of an image". What does it mean? I thought all images are already embedded once converted to PDF. I don't remember having this problem using the older version of Adobe. Can anyone explain. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It is an indicator that the pdf file is corrupt.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
            Web Traffic Level 1

That's what I thought BUT I opened the same file using the older version of PDF Reader and I don't remember having this problem. Will have to try and see whether I will face similar problem with other pdf files. Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
              slipstream14

Hiya,

Also ran into the same issue this afternoon and after much experimentation discovered the root of my problem was my optimization of PDF files via Adobe Acrobat 6  with the Monochrome images being compressed using JBIG2. I removed the compression on the monchrome images only (colour images, etc still being compressed via JPEG) and now my files open just fine in reader 9.1, 8, etc.

I have no idea why this is the case and it seems odd as an adobe product was used to create/optimize the files. Not sure what you can do if you don't have a PDF creation tool unless you can expand this line of thought and see if there is a way to add better JBIG2 compression support into later versions of acrobat reader.

Hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
                Web Traffic Level 1

Thanks for your information. Not too sure if that's the case. I didn't create pdf file. I was trying to open it and popped the message. It could be that the file is corrupted but I thought I did manage to open it with the older version of Adobe Reader. I have already deleted the pdf file so i couldn't try it further. By the way, thanks for your feedback.

• 5. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
                  garalare

Hi,

I ran into this same problem today. Adobe 9 gives me this message "Insufficient Data For An Image" when I open certain PDF files.  However they open just fine on Adobe 8.  Does Adobe know about this problem? Are they working on fixing it? I've attached on of these files..,. try it for youself

• 6. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
                    Web Traffic Level 1

Hi Garalare

I have no answer till date.

I suspect it could be corrupted files.

If possible, try asking the other party to convert it to pdf file again and resend to you.

However, since then, I have no problem opening other pdf files with Adobe 9.

Cheers! :-)

• 7. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
                      garalare Level 1

I'll just wait 'till they have a fix for it. In the mean time I uninstalled Adobe 9 and reinstalled Adobe 8.  Now I can view those files just fine.

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:18:41 -0600

To: gk_koester@hotmail.com

Subject: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"

Hi Garalare

I have no answer till date.

I suspect it could be corrupted files.

If possible, try asking the other party to convert it to pdf file again and resend to you.

However, since then, I have no problem opening other pdf files with Adobe 9.

Cheers!

>

• 8. Re: Adobe 9 - "Insufficient Data Of An Image"
                        Stryder T

Hi All, just to let everyone know this is still a continuing error. It is not due to a corrupted file issue either. I

have been fighting with this for days, and so far have had no responses from Adobe. The fact is this only happens when you get over

version 9. I have several clients who recently upgrade to Acrobat 9 and this issue started

happening. I have advised them to use Reader ver8.2 or lower to view the files

but that still does not  help them to edit or change them. This is very frusterating as the clients depend on Adobe to change create or edit PDF's. If this does not get fix ASAP I will recommend all my clients drop Adobe and switch to another type of PDF creator.