5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 1:48 PM by rob.matthews

animating a step by step movie

rob.matthews

I need to create a movie from a photoshop file that pops up upon entering a site I work for.  I was wondering the best way to do this.  The movie does not need any buttons or interactivity.  It just needs to show a simply process of going through necessary steps within the site.  I know how to insert check marks shown below, I just don't know how to subtly highlight each box as if it was being scrolled over.  Any help would be much appreciate.  Below is the file I need to turn into a flash movie

• 1. Re: animating a step by step movie
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

1. You can overlay an additional object over each section of your artwork and fill this overlay with a translucent color to make any given segment appear to be unselected.

2. You can separate each segment in Photoshop, and import each segment as a separate item into Flash. Make each segment a movieClip. You can then use a color effect, add a tint to each movieClip to show it as unselected.

3. You can separate each segment in Photoshop. You could then make a highlighted and unhighlighted version of each in Photoshop and then import all of these pieces into Flash. I do not recommend this method.

• 2. Re: animating a step by step movie
            rob.matthews Level 1

Thanks a lot Rob.  Very helpful.  My movie is working great.  My only problem is that I do not know how to stop the movie once all of my animations have completed.  I've tried adding a stop(); command to a layer I named "actions" at the top of the timeline but it does not do anything.  And, when I leave the movie looping, I get an error message at the end that says:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

at splash_fla::MainTimeline/frame1()

Is this because I added a button that links to a URL?  So basically I just need to know how to stop my movie leaving the button link to the URL active.

• 3. Re: animating a step by step movie
              rob.matthews Level 1

Thanks a lot Rob.  Very helpful.  My movie is working great.  My only problem is that I do not know how to stop the movie once all of my animations have completed.  I've tried adding a stop(); command to a layer I named "actions" at the top of the timeline but it does not do anything.  And, when I leave the movie looping, I get an error message at the end that says:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

at splash_fla::MainTimeline/frame1()

Is this because I added a button that links to a URL?  So basically I just need to know how to stop my movie leaving the button link to the URL active.

• 4. Re: animating a step by step movie
                robdillon Most Valuable Participant

If all of your animation is spread out along the timeline of the main movie, then go to the last frame, add a keyframe in that actions layer at this last frame. Select the keyframe and add stop(); at this keyframe. This will stop the movie at the end. I have no idea what is causing the error when the movie loops back to the beginning, but if you don't loop back, it won't occur.

• 5. Re: animating a step by step movie
                  rob.matthews Level 1

awesome.  I was trying to use the stop() command without inseerting a key frame first.  Thtanks a lot