11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 9:31 AM by Rueberm

Closed Captioning

Rueberm Level 1

My company produces a weekly TV show... Because of our turnaround we needed to close caption the material in house.  We purchased CPC Caption Maker.  The flow works ok.  It captions to the VOX Data (I believe that is what it is called).  The only problem is that if I touch the avi at all it erases the captioning.  This includes exporting it.  We now would like to export our show as an mpeg.  I could take the file into encore add the CC file and then export it to a VOB then try to change it into a mpeg... but that really slows down the export process.  Is there a different way I can export the avi to a mpeg and keep the captioning? If I can't figure out a way I will have to buy the upgraded software.

• 1. Re: Closed Captioning
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would do all CC work in Encore, and NOT in PrPro. Though there is a difference between real CC and Subtitles, I'd post to the Encore Subtitles sub-forum. There are a lot of users, who do both CC and Subtitle work there and you'll get great tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Closed Captioning
            Rueberm Level 1

Hopefully this will help with answers,

My current workflow

1. Export segment of show to avi (about 5min)

2. Import into CPC Caption Maker

3. Transibe text

4. Sync Captions

5. Export to avi

6. Import into Premier

7. do this for all other segments (28:30 show)

8. Export to DVCPro

9.(new step) Export to Mpeg 2 or 4 for ftp delivery (we are in 2 broadcast markets as well as 2 cable systems)

My hope is to not add Encore... which I don't know if it works.

9. export to Encore

10. Export captions from CPC

11. Import captions

12. encode

13. take vob file and convert it to mpeg 2 (might eliminate mpeg 4 possibility)

• 3. Re: Closed Captioning
              Rueberm Level 1

correction on my original post... It is VAUX Data

• 4. Re: Closed Captioning
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's probably the better way.

1. Import into Premiere.

2. Edit

3. Export out as AVI

4. Import into CPC Caption Maker, add captions.

5. Export out in desired format.

Now I've never done captions, so I can't speak from experience.  It just seems logical that captioning would be done after editing, not before.  Much like color corrections.

• 5. Re: Closed Captioning
                  Rueberm Level 1

That is basically what I do... I just organize it all in premier.  I do one segment at a time to save time.  If I get segment 1 done on Tuesday and cant finish segment 2 until Friday.... I caption 1 in my spare time... That way I don't have to do it on Friday. 

The issue is that CPC caption maker only exports to avi and mov.  You can export "captions only" but that is basically a text file.  I can upgrade the software but the sample files they provide don't seem to work with premier... Another option is to export to tape... then use the monitor output to capture back as a file. (more steps)

I guess I will just have to hope for more Captioning support in the next release.

• 6. Re: Closed Captioning
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The issue is that CPC caption maker only exports to avi and mov.

Then you may have to switch software to one that will export captioned MPEG.

I can upgrade the software but the sample files they provide don't seem to work with premier

That should be irrelevant if you do your editing first and do your captioning last, exporting in a format that is required for delivery.

• 7. Re: Closed Captioning
                      Rueberm Level 1

I think CPC caption maker is the only captioning software out there that outputs to files... At least I can't find any other.  As far as I know all other closed captioning is done live or from tape to tape.  I am looking for a potential Vaux data pass through setting or at least hoping that Adobe considers this for the future.  My other hope would be that CPC would expand there export formats... But this is the wrong forum for that.

• 8. Re: Closed Captioning
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

This is the result of a very cursory search, but maybe it'll help.

http://www.captions.org/softlinks.cfm

• 9. Re: Closed Captioning
                          Rueberm Level 1

Yeah I have seen that link before.... Although there are some new links on there, Caption Maker still seems like the best choice. It seems like all the suggestions I am getting are non Adobe.... I was really hoping I could fix it that way.  I will put an e-mail into CPC and see what I get for a response.  Last time I called them I think I got the head programmer on the phone.

• 10. Re: Closed Captioning
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

It seems like all the suggestions I am getting are non Adobe....

My guess is because captioning work is usually done after the files are through and out of the Adobe program chain.

• 11. Re: Closed Captioning
                              Rueberm Level 1

Maybe usually but not always.  It is current more efficient for me to take them back into Premier.  Before my position at my current company I worked at a one of the largest automotive advertising agencies in the world.  I worked on hundreds of infomercials and every time we would bring the captioned file back in to the Avid... (We would send out the audio to be captioned, then finish b-rolling the infomercial and then put the captioning on top of the finished product in the Avid)  It is the fastest way when you have tight deadlines.