16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 8:17 AM by the_wine_snob

CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?

Extend77 Level 1

A co-worker made me think about the life of my DVDs that I'm recording my productions on, and I found on various blogs that Taiyo Yuden disks are supposed to be the best (and they are much expensive!).  And +R the best media type.

So I got a stack of TY +Rs, I tried to burn a recent production on PE7 and got an error code 2130932483 from PE7!   The disk being ejected before the burn process (apparently).

So I checked out the DVD burner (Lite-on LH20A1H) put in the latest firmware (LODD) and tried again.

Same 2130932483 from PE7.

So tried the disks I usually use, Philips and Datawrite, PE7 works fine!

Tried coping a 1G file via Nero7 to the TY disk, and that works fine!

So Help!  Is there something in PE7 that I need to change?

Thanks if you can help,

Extend77

• 1. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
          Ed.Macke Level 3

I've never had a burn error with TY DVDs, so I don't have any direct knowlege. Not that that helps you.

But, here's how I do things:

1. Use PRE to "Burn to a folder"
          2. Use ImgBurn (or Nero) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD. My DVD supports 16X, but I buy 8X TY DVDs and burn at 2X or 4X (depending on how much of a hurry I'm in).

This gives you several advantages:

• Isolates PRE's rendering process from the DVD creation process. As you've discovered, if you use PRE for everything, you have to re-render each time.
          • You can control your burn speed - the faster you burn the more chances you have of errors
          • Gives you an automatic backup of your physical DVD (if you keep your "burned" folder - which I do)
          • If you want to make more copies in the future, you just re-burn a DVD with ImgBurn or Nero. If you save your project, you could probably do this in 2 or 3 clicks.

Not that this answers the question of why TY DVDs are giving you a problem, but it might give you a more workable, flexible workflow.

FYI, Verbatim media comes highly recommended as well.

Just out of curiousity, where did you get your TY media? I've heard of counterfit TY media, and the fact that you're having so many burn issues just seems odd - generally TY is kind of the "gold standard".

• 2. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have used TY's for years and am on my second 1000 now. I have never had an issue with a single disc. I use Verbatim for all DVD-9's (DL), and it's been the same, though I am still on my first 500 there. I've also tested the TY "Water Shield Printables" and found them to be perfect, though only tried 10 as a test. When I'm done with my matte TY printables, I'll likely purchase more of the Water Shields.

By burning at the slowest speed possible (Encore, like ImgBurn, allows this), I have never had one disc returned from a client - both TY DVD-5's and Verbatim DVD-9's.

As for the counterfit TY's, I'd first load one up in ImgBurn and see what it says about the media. It's pretty good at scoping out the actual mfgr. I have another utility that gives more data on blank media, but cannot find it right now. Still, ImgBurn will tell you the media type and even the lot number.

I found this out some years ago, when I was having problems with Memorex media. In a spindle of 25, I had about 10 Ritek, 1 Sony and some with absolutely no mfgr data whatsoever. Similar with recent TDK media, and they were once thought to be good. Many companies buy whatever is cheapest and stamp their name on it. The real info should be imprinted in the disc.

I just hope that TY has not gone by the wayside, even though I still have nearly 1000 in stock.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
              Extend77 Level 1

Thank you for the tips Ed, I will try them out on the week-end.

Also I will try ImgBurn as maybe I need to control the burn speed too!

Best wishes,

Martyn

• 4. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                Extend77 Level 1

Hi Hunt

Thanks for this, I too thought TY the best and can't understand why I can't write to them.

I've downloaded Imgburn, and it says the disks are YUDEN000-T03-00!

Which I guess means they are TY!

And again I can burn the disk from a 1G file, so I think the TY's are OK, so your 1,000 are safe!

But I haven't solved the why it doesn't work from PE7, question.

I guess I need longer so I am going to get a better DVD writer (Samsung SH-S222A/BESE which I'm told is the ace machine for archiving and R+).

So maybe I'll have better news on Saturday?

Best wishes and thanks for replying

Martyn

• 5. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                  I've downloaded Imgburn, and it says the disks are YUDEN000-T03-00!

You're probably right.

I've never actually encountered bogus TY media, only read about it. But I don't know what would prevent a counterfit DVD manufacturer from putting a TY ID on the DVD.

I'm sure you're fine, it just seems odd that you're having so many problems with TY media and not others, when generally the reverse would be true. Just makes me wonder if you have a bad batch or counterfits or something.

Did you get them from a reputable source?

In any event, let us know what happens with your ImgBurn tests.

• 6. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

But I don't know what would prevent a counterfit DVD manufacturer from putting a TY ID on the DVD.

I can see that point, and could only conjecture that someone selling counterfit TY's would have a slim profit margin. To get the real mfgr. to rewrite that data in the production stage would likely cut into that profit margin. TY's are a bit more expensive, but not THAT much more than "crap" discs. They are popular with serious editors and folk doing other sorts of burning, but I'd guess that Memorex sells 1000x more discs in a year (regardless of what brand they actually are). Still, there are those, who just cannot play it straight, no matter what.

Now you have me questioning that Rolex Cosmograph Daytona (with the Paul Newman dial), that I bought in Madrid for US$35.00...

Hunt

• 7. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                      Joe Avitry Level 1

I'll first admit to living in a cave regarding video editing for the last year or so, but I was always under the impression that the -R discs were more compatable than the +Rs to begin with, is this still true?

• 8. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello again Joe, and welcome out of that "cave!"

At one time there was much more of a difference in the playability of -R and +R. With some exceptions, that difference has evaporated. Now, some do still report problems with -R's in Encore, but I wonder if their problems are not actually someplace else. Little data is ever furnished with regards to those problems, so my "jury" is still out on aspect.

I usually use +R media, but do have some -R, and have yet to have a problem with either at any phase, including playability on client players.

Now, I am going on what has worked for me, and for my clients, so it is not emperical, by any stretch. Maybe others can cite scientific studies on these types of media and what is out in the population, regarding players.

Hunt

• 9. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                          Extend77 Level 1

Hi Ed and Hunt

Well good news and bad news.

The good news

The Samsung DVD R/W arrived today, replaced one of the LITE-ON drives, burnt a folder from PE7 as you suggested Ed, and burnt a copy on a blank TY disk, which plays fine on the Samsung drive and on the family DVD player!

But the remaining LITE-ON drive could not read the TY disk that the Samsung could!

The LITE-ON has the latest firmware, so maybe LITE-ON isn't as good as Samsung?  Or just they don't like TY disks (if they are TY of course)?  So at least one LITE-ON is destined for eBay!

Meanwhile the Bad news.

One of my raid disks went down so I'm going to do some backing up whilst I wait for the replacement.

So I'm gonna be off the air for a bit.

Maybe the really hot weather we're having here in the UK?

Thanks for your help guys, it's been a great help to get your advice.

Best wishes,

Martyn

• 10. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                            Extend77 Level 1

Hi Ed and Hunt

The good news

The Samsung DVD R/W arrived today, replaced one of the LITE-ON drives, burnt a folder from PE7 as you suggested Ed, and burnt a copy on a blank TY disk, which plays fine on the Samsung drive and on the family DVD player!

But the remaining LITE-ON drive could not read the TY disk that the Samsung could!

The LITE-ON has the latest firmware, so maybe LITE-ON isn't as good as Samsung?  Or just they don't like TY disks (if they are TY of course)?  So at least one LITE-ON is destined for eBay!

Meanwhile the Bad news.

One of my raid disks went down so I'm going to do some backing up whilst I wait for the replacement.

Best wishes,

Martyn

• 11. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                              Extend77 Level 1

Hi Ed and Hunt

The good news

Meanwhile the Bad news.

Best wishes,

Martyn

• 12. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                                Ed.Macke Level 3

Well, as you say, the good news is that you were able to burn a DVD, and it works!

I don't know about different models of DVD burners. I've only used the Philips one that came stuffed in my Dell and never had any issues (knock wood).

I've never heard of a burner preferring certain media, but I'm sure anything's possible in this crazy computer world.

Good luck with your RAID fixes, and report back...!

• 13. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I've never heard of a burner preferring certain media, but I'm sure anything's possible in this crazy computer world.

Well, not exactly different media, but I've encountered many situations where one drive would work perfectly with a burned disc, while another would not. That is why all of my machines for the last several generations have two different makes/models of burners. I've gotten discs that my LG loved, and my Plextor would not touch (in my current workstation), and also the opposite. I also try to use different high-end models in different machines, so I have several burners handy (2 in each computer + 3 externals). I have not noticed any drive's preference for, or aversion to, any particular brand of media, and my clients come in with some real off-the-wall media brands. It seems to be more of a situation where the actual burning made the difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                                    Extend77 Level 1

Thanks Ed, waiting on the risks now.

Let you know what happens,.

Martyn

• 15. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                                      Extend77 Level 1

This is a good tip Hunt, have two different manufactures burners (at least!).

I have now!

Best wishes,

Martyn

• 16. Re: CAN YOU HELP WITH TAIYO YUDEN DISKS?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

It's kind of like having different wine glasses for different wines. A young red Burg will taste better in some styles of glass, while an older Bordeaux will taste better in another sytle glass. Either glass will likely work with either wine, but each wine will taste best (IMHO) with the proper glass.

With CD/DVD's, it can be a matter of just working at all.

Good luck,

Hunt