24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2009 7:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.

ahsumtoy

I have recently purchased premiere elements 7.0 and I am not happy with it. I have a Dell XPS system with 2GB Ram, and over 200GB of free space on my hard drive. I am creating a movie with JPG's from my Canon DSLR that have been downsized them to 1024 x 680 before putting them in. My movies have been downloaded from a Sony Handycam HD camera to the wmv format before bringing them into Premiere Elements. I render my pics and movies everytime I put around 10 into the project and then do a save. I have tried to create a 3 1/2 hour movie on DL DVD's but this program seems to blow up all the time and eventually won't even load the project. I have exported small projects to avi format and reloaded them, which seems to work but after converting to wmv then exporting to avi and then bringing them back into premiere elements, the movies seem blurry. I decided to cut my project in half and I still have memory problems. Premiere says I am running low on memory and better save the project. When I check how much memory I have left, I have 760MB left. I have even closed everything on the task bar. I continue to get memory problems when I don't have memory problems, or the program elements.exe blows up with a "software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0). My most recent problem is that I was finaly able to put together a movie about 1 1/2 hours, rendered it, put my theme into it and saved it. Now I am trying to burn, with everything shut down in the system, just elements running and I can watch the memory start at about 1.5GB and it goes to about 650MB and the burn stops, and the program disappears from my screen. I have tried everything adobe says to do on their KB site but nothing seems to help. Anyone have a clue.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          My movies have been downloaded from a Sony Handycam HD camera to the wmv format before bringing them into Premiere Elements.

Why did you choose WMV for the format/CODEC? It is one that requires very heavy processing.

For some tips on gathering clues as to crashes, see this ARTICLE.

Do you only have one HDD on your system? If so, that could be a contributing factor, especially with a large Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
            ahsumtoy Level 1

I chose wmv because when I converted all the movies from my Sony Handycam to MPEG, there was no sound. My only other option was to convert to WMV. I don't have an external drive connected to my laptop but will try one. I have an external that I can hook up and set up caching, etc. to that drive since it has close to 1/2 terabytes left on it.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tell us a bit more about the files from the Sony. You state MPEG, and some issues. Please give as many details, as you can. G-Spot will give you all details about those original files.

Also, please list the Project Preset that you chose in this case.

I edit to/from externals on my laptop, but it does have 3x 200GB SATA II HDD's. I use 2TB FW-800 externals, and all goes well. USB will likely be an issue. FW-400 will be better, albeit slower than FW-800. If you have eSATA, it will be the best. Hint: make sure that you do set the external drive letter in the OS, so it will always appear the same, or you will have to locate Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                Rosario Abate

Exacly the same problem I had... The difference is that my project consists in raw images converted to .jpg with log side of 3.800 and several small pieces of .avi videos .... I bought Premiere tired of the rigidity of the Nero Vision application but Premiere is doing worst.... It freezes , stops and obliged me to restart the job more times. My PC has a Quad Core 3.0 gtz , 4 giga Ram and a double disk with 250 giga but Premiere warns me to save and procede carefully because of out of memory..... Where is the bug....?

Thanks for helping me...

Rosario

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd recommend starting your own thread. It's very likely we'll be able to help you resolve the problems with your source files. (Most likely related to your photos being larger than 1000x750 pixels.)

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rosario,

First, welcome to the forum.

I do agree completely with Steve on a new thread. The reason is that many, who will probably be able to help you, will see this thread, know that it has pretty much run its course and not bother to look at it anymore. Next, your system will differ from the OP's and great confusion can result. Some longer threads are difficult to follow, even where it's about one poster's system, Project and Assets. Heck, I often get confused whether I am in the PrE, or the PrPro forum!

Before you do post, take a look at this ARTICLE from the Tips & Tricks section on how best to state your problem and what info is so very important for those trying to help. Also, make sure to think about the title of your post. It's kind of like a magazine cover on the newstand - you are competing for attention, 'cause you want everyone to read your post and help you. A good one would be something like "[PrE7] Problems with Large SlideShow," or similar. Titles like "Help," do not get that much attention. Within a few short words, you can catch people's attention and give them some idea of what the post is about. I always look for posts with "Audio" in them, because I can usually help out in that area. Same thing for "DVD," as I do a great deal of authoring. When I see "Organizer," I'll put that thread on the back burner, as I know little of that part of PrE.

Along with Steve's tip on the size of the still images, this ARTICLE might give you some insight and some tips on preparation, prior to Import. This is also from the Tips & Tricks sub-forum. Last, I strongly recommend the FAQ sub-forum. Though it took a hit, when the fora were recently overhauled, Steve has done a great job getting most of the important pieces back together. There are a lot of good recs. on how to get the most out of one's computer there, and all make good reading, even if you do not use, say a JVC camera (there are probably 2 FAQ's aimed at those cameras).

Good luck, and I'll look forward to seeing your post. I'll bet that many here can step in and help you immediately,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                      paulgoelz Level 1

I'd like to add that I had the same issues with PE3 and with PE7 when I ran XP (32 bit).  Made the program very unpredictable and frustrating to use for anything beyond maybe a 10 minute project when the assets were h.264 encoded.

Those issues ALL vanished TOTALLY when I switched to Vista 64 bit on the same PC.  I recently completed a project with >30 minutes of h.264 1080i assets AND 400-500 still images AND DVD menus.  The photos were brought into PE7 as-is and NOT resized from their native 8-10MP size.  I doubt that I could have completed this project on my old XP 32 bit system unless I broke it up into pieces.  But running Vista 64 bit, PE7 swallowed the entire project whole and didn't even flinch.  Vista reported that memory in use was around 1.8GB while editing and about 1.7GB when rendering.  While experimenting trying to find the best way to render the project to DVD format, I even re-built it with different project presets.  At no time (including rendering it to a 1080i MPEG2) did it do ANYTHING unusual.

I am firmly convinced that the vast majority of abberant behavior is due to resource issues in 32 bit operating systems.  The solutions here on this forum address that in part but cannot totally overcome the inherent limitations of a 32 bit OS such as memory allocation per program.  It is unfortunate that Adobe is not more up front about what you can and cannot expect with a 32 bit OS, especially when marketing to users with HD camcorders.  However, at least there is a cure if your basice hardware can support it.... upgrade to a 64 bit OS.  At least it worked for me.

Paul

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

That is good to know. Thanks for reporting.

As for:

The photos were brought into PE7 as-is and NOT resized from their native 8-10MP size.

Besides the unnecessary use of resources, another compelling reason for resizing in PS/PSE is quality. The resizing algorithms in PrE and PrPro are just not that good. The ones in PS/PSE are far better. Quality will be better when resizing outside of your NLE.

It's the same, when using Vector images from Adobe Illustratior. The Adobe NLE's will Import these, and Rasterize them. However, the job done is far, far inferior to the job done in PS/PSE. The Rasterization algorithms are vastly superior. They are, after all, digital image manipulatin programs. That is their specialty.

Good luck,

Hunt

Note: "PS/PSE" = Photoshop / Photoshop Elements. Similar, though separate programs.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                          paulgoelz Level 1

Yes, I am aware how much resources may have been wasted by not resizing the photos.  I was trying to prove a point and also to see if I could freak PE7 out.  It didn't even blink. And, the RAM in use was just about the same as it was when I created the project minus the photos.  I'll have to experiment further on that one to be sure. 

As for quality, funny you should mention that.  I can understand that resizing in PS would be superior in quality to letting PE7 do it.  Again, it was an experiment.  But the end result was that when rendered to DVD quality, the photo part of the project looked terrific and the video (rendered from 1080i to DVD quality) looked awful.... nowhere near the resolution / sharpness compared to the photos.  Still investigating that one.

BTW, the "conventional wisdom" here is to resize photos to something just a bit bigger than the target resolution before importing them.  But doesn't that invoke the same inferior resizing algorithm when rendered to DVD?

Paul

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            BTW, the "conventional wisdom" here is to resize photos to something just a bit bigger than the target resolution before importing them.  But doesn't that invoke the same inferior resizing algorithm when rendered to DVD?

Yes, but to a much lesser degree. Now, I take a different tack with this regard. First, the background. I come from an advertising print background, so I view still images in my video a little bit differently than most folk do. Each image is unique, and is treated as such in my Projects. I do no random anything. Each image is sized precisely to either my Project's Frame Size, or to the exact dimensions that I will need for Pans on a Zoomed out image - no more. I've gone so far as to do two versions of a resized image, if I need to do a lot of Panning on the Zoomed out version. I'll Keyframe that, and then use a Cross-Dissolve to the exactly resized version for Zooming in more and Panning inside the image. It's a little more work, but is easy and gives me the best result that I can achieve. With Actions in PS, I can knock out 100's of images in the time that it takes to have a few sips of coffee. I may end up with Destination Folders for 3 different sizes of images, and those sizes will be determined by how I will use them in the Project. I work toward getting exactly what I will need, prior to Import, rather than using a rule-of-thumb. However, many will not wish to take that time and do that planning. I understand that. Hence the "rule-of-thumb" suggestions. They work OK in most cases and do save a lot of time. That user gets to the editing phase much more quickly than I do, even with my automation in PS. So long as the results suit their needs, there is no reason to recommend that they go my route. The differences in sizing within PrE are so much smaller if they use that rule-of-thumb, than if they start with the full image from the camera, that one is not likely to notice - unless they are horribly critical, as I am. For me, it's worth the effort. For most - probably not so much.

Good question!

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                              paulgoelz Level 1
                              So long as the results suit their needs, there is no reason to recommend that they go my route. The differences in sizing within PrE are so much smaller if they use that rule-of-thumb, than if they start with the full image from the camera, that one is not likely to notice - unless they are horribly critical, as I am. For me, it's worth the effort. For most - probably not so much.

Now you have me curious.  I'll have to try an external resize and see how it stacks up to doing it entirely within PE7.

Paul

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                Rosario Abate Level 1

Thanks for your tip, I will follow it.

Rosario

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Please let me know what you think.

What I did for my test was to take a Nikon RAW image, process it in ACR to the full rez PSD, and studied it on my 21" monitor to get an idea of its quality. I then resized to NTSC 720x480 PAR 0.9 (for my SD Projects) and Imported that, plus the full-rez .PSD. I used .PSD for both files.

I placed them on the Timeline as still image Clips, and let PrPro resize down to my 720x480. I actually did two of these: one with Scale to Fit, and one with Motion>Scale, just to check. I burned to a DVD RW and had them loop. Basically, in Encore I did the one Timeline and set its End Action back to itself. I then watched the results on several of my systems, including my 60" HD home theater. I could easily spot the PS resized image, and could detect better results in the Motion>Scale, over the Scale to Fit larger image. It was the same on all systems.

Since you're working in HD, IIRC, I'd be very interested to hear what you detect. I would burn a BD RE for the test, so you can use it again. Please report your findings, as it will definitely help others, and myself, when I go over to HD production.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rosario,

We'll be looking for your post, and I hope that someone can help you immediately.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                      paulgoelz Level 1

Give me a day or two.  I'm rendering the Sony version right now and after that I'm gonna rest a bit.  Been obsessing on this a bit too much and it is time to come up for air.  But I'll do the experiment and report back.

EDIT:  The project rendered and burned OK in Vegas / Architect.  It also looks great.  Now to rest a bit.

Paul

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                        paulgoelz Level 1

OK, I did the resizing experiment.

I took two photos shot at 6MP.  Each one was placed on the timeline alongside a 640X480 version resized in Photoshop.  I superimposed titles identifying which was which.

In the preview window there was a clear difference between them, but the project preset was HD.  In the resulting file rendered to NTSC DVD standards, there was no difference at all.  In the rendered file, both versions were considerably softer than the Photoshop resized version as viewed in Photoshop.

So there it is.  Whether or not PE7 does better with externally resized photos is moot since the final render to DVD mucks up the resolution.  There is simply way too much smoothing in PE7 when rendering to DVD.  Unless there is a hidden setting I have yet to find.  I even tried turning off "Fit to disc" and manually selected 8Mb/S and there was no difference.

Paul

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, Paul. When I tested (PrPro 2.0, and not PrE 7), I took an 8MP image and resized it in PS, then took the full image into PrPro. These were placed into an SD (DVD-Video) Project and Exported out as DV-AVI Type II files, that were brought into Encore 2.0. The Transcode was Automatic (with such a small Timeline it was done at max Transcode Quality). When viewed on a calibrated Sony 35" CRT, it was not even close. The PS resized image was the hands down winner.

Now, I do not have PrE 7, so I cannot match your exact test. I also do not have a calibrated HD CRT monitor (to the best of my knowledge, no such unit exists and if it did, based on my SD CRT, it would probably cost upwards to $15,000), and any up-rezing by a set-top player would weigh the visuals, depending on the unit, plus the settings.

If you like the results of the larger still images better, then my suggestion would be to go with those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                            paulgoelz Level 1

Looks like if I keep responding to the last post, the width will keep reducing until it vanishes......

I have no doubt that there is a difference between letting PE7 do the resizing and using Photoshop.  But at least in my case, the the poor quality rendering of HD assets to DVD totally masks it.

I would be MOST interested in hearing from anyone with PE7 who CAN see a difference, because that would mean they are probably getting better quality renders than I am.

And it isn't that I "like" the results from letting PE7 do the resizing.  It is simply easier to dump the full sized photos into PE7 as-is.  At least on 64 bit Vista, the program handles it just fine.

FWIW, this issue of poor quality renders has driven me to Sony Vegas Studio, which I purchased.  For the most part, I am happy with it.  I have not had a single hiccup so far even though it is apparently not officially supported on 64 bit Vista.  However, it is missing two important features that PE7 has..... it will not generate automatic scene markers at clip boundaries and it will not burn Bluray menus.  Fix the render quality issue and I'll be back with PE.  Maybe when PE is ported to 64 bit, the render issue will also get fixed?

Paul

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                              Paul_LS Level 4

What Veags are you using Paul? Vegas wont burn Bluray from the timeline but it will in DVD Architect/Studio. Vegas Pro comes with DVD Architect 4.5, not sure if Vegas Studio comes with DVD Architect Studio but it is only $50 to buy stand alone.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                                paulgoelz Level 1

I bought the Vegas 9 Studio bundle, which includes DVD Architect 4.5.  Vegas WILL burn Bluray from the timeline.  According to the manual, it will burn it complete with chapter markers, but without a menu.  DVD Architect 4.5 will NOT burn a Bluray disc and will not recognize my camera original files from the HF100.  So it is so far a partial solution.... OK until I want to get serious about burning my projects in Bluray format with menus.  But for that, I am assuming I can either do the project totally in PE7 (PE7 so far seems to do OK rendering an HD project from HD assets) or render the Vegas project in a format that PE7 can handle and then finish up in PE7.  Not sure if PE7 will recompress if all I do is add menus and burn though.  DVD Architect generally does not recompress unless it has to, and it is very good about telling you when that is and why.

Paul

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                                  ahsumtoy Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I have found a way to make PE7 work with a system like mine. Read below:

I'm trying to put a movie together using JPG's and WMV movies. I have about 450 JPG's that I made all 720 width by using PS7, I let PS7 pick the hight. The movies came from my Sony Handycam HD camera and I used the Sony software to make them into wmv movies. I put them on my hard drive. Why did I use wmv - for some reason, when I used the Sony software and downloaded the movies to MPG, the sound did not come with them. As I said before, PE7 could not handle all my JPG's and movies (total of about 4 hours worth). I was hoping to put a 4 hr movie on a dual layer DVD. Forget that. I couldn't even put a 2 hr movie together. PE7 sometimes just went away on the screen, or I received a C++ error, or memory getting low when I still had 750MB's of memory left and 100GB left on my hard drive and just either froze or disappeared from my screen. I couldn't even move the movie bar too much without PE7 crashing. I found that as I worked in PE7, trying to put a 2 hr movie together, l would have to load about 10 JPG's, do a save, then render them, do a save, bring in about 5 movies, do a save, render those. I kept doing this for days, but as I got about 1 hr worth of movie, PE7 would crash all the time. I finally got 1 hr and 50 minutes all saved and rendered with all my markers, etc. Ready to go right. Wrong. When I tried to burn, the encoding right before the burn would blow up all the time and I couldn't burn the DVD. Days and days of trying to produce a movie and PE7 would just blow up everytime.

My system:

Laptop - Not the best for PE7

Dell XPS M1730 Dual core, 2GB Ram, 200 GB HD with 120GB left to work with PE7, 512 Geforce video card. PE7 says this is enough - wrong

OS -XP with SP3

Everything turned off on the task bar.

About 1600 MB left of RAM to work with

This system exceeds PE7 requirements but it is not enough.

Here is a way to create a 2hr or 4hr movie with the system I have:

Continue to load 5-10 jpgs, save them, render them, load 5-10 short movies, save the project, render the project and save the project. Don't go to long without rendering and saving your project. Continue until you get to about 20-30 minutes worth of movie in your project. Do NOT put any markers in because they will be lost when you do continue to do what I did to create a 4 hr movie. You will do them later. Now go to File and export to a Movie. This will put it in AVI format. Once it is saved, start another new project. Start it where you left off and do the same thing again and again until you have all your AVI movies. I ended up with 5 avi movies. Now start your last new project. Get Media (grab each avi file you saved). Put them in order. Now you can put in your markers, title, etc. and shouldn't have memory problems. You're ready to burn. It worked. I finally have a 4 hr movie through PE7 with the system I have above. I forgot to say, I also run a program called FreeRam XP Pro (free shareware). Before starting my burn, I would use FreeRam XP Pro to free up memory. Many times after a render and save, I would use FreeRam XP Pro to free up memory.

I wish Adobe would let everyone know how PE7 really works. You would think by the ads, that my system would work properly. I hate to see how PE7 will work doing HD type movies from my camcorder. I will have to experiment with that one later. Right now, I am tired of working with PE7 over the last 2 weeks.

Again, thanks everyone for helping out here. I hope this helps some others that are frustrated with PE7.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                                    paulgoelz Level 1

Your workaround is pretty standard advice here on the forum..... break large projects into smaller pieces.  And a 4 hour project is FAR over the top in my experience.  I'm surprised you got as far as you did.  The problem as I understand it is that PE7 simply runs out of resources when handling projects over a certain size.  The danger point is hard to quantify, but in my experience using PE7 on WinXP Pro 32 bit was that whenever the RAM usage as reported by Task Manager exceeded about 1.5GB, you were headed for trouble.  This was not always preceeded by a "low memory" warning from PE7.  Sometimes PE7 would simply freeze in its tracks and you would lose any edits that were not saved..... if not the entire project.

Note that I do not think the problem is simply that PE runs out of physical RAM.  Windows allocates memory to applicaitons that is a combination of actual RAM and virtual RAM (ie., the paging file).  The problem is that in a 32 bit OS and/or applicaiton, there is a hard limit of 4GB TOTAL per application.  Windows splits that up 50/50 between the system and the application, so I believe PE only gets to play with 2GB.  In a 32 bit OS and/or application, there is nothing you can do about the 4GB limit and PE7 does not run out of memory gracefully to say the least.

In my case, I moved on to 64 bit Vista and ALL my problems quirky PE7 behavior vanished.  Since PE7 is still a 32 bit app, there is still a 4GB limit for it.  But Vista can (I think) play with much more than that and PE7 runs MUCH smoother and I can deal with much larger projects as I wrote earlier in the thread.  If moving to a 64 bit OS is an option for you, I would recommend it.  And when/if PE ever becomes a 64 bit applicaiton and runs natively on a 64 bit OS, I think the last vestiges of errant behavior will be gone, regardless of project size.

Paul

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                                      just wanna edit Level 1

hello guys,

since this is a new post I am going to switch to this one from the one I was posting on.  same problems - constant crashes.  Since my last post we have loaded Vista (64 bit OS) vice the 32 bit XP I was trying to use. (quad core, 4 mb RAM, 2 huge hard drives so now one drive has XP, the other has Vista).  Virus protection SW is not even loaded on this OS so I don't have to disable it - the drive does not even know it exists.  I don't like running naked but with PE there is no choice.  Anyhow, on Vista, PE7 ran for about an hour with light editing to a 54 minute video before crashing.  After re-starting the computer it would start, open the file, and immediately crash.  aftrer going thru this for about 5 re-starts we then added more virtual page memory and i was able to open the file, move the scene markers around a little, add three still photos to the video, and add a couple of narration clips.  after every single change, I hit "save".   I am now burning this version to disc.  there is still an error where I created a slide show in Photoshop elements, put in a title, and somewhere along the way to turning it into a .prel file, the text of the title turned a "&" into an ASCII character.  also shrunk the text box so the lines end mid-word.  If I get a succesful disc out of this I will go back and try to fix the slideshow.  but I am so sick and tired of the crashes, and have spent dozens of hours just fighting it to get to the end of this project, that I wanted to try to get at least a nearly-OK disc before trying to fix that last issue.  I have gone thru the FAQ, gone thru the "follow these steps to make your computer optimized to run PE", badgered my husband to help me with all this, discussed it with our IT guys at work, and overall I just don't think it should be this hard.  so for those who have the option of returning the software, I would say that is the way to go.  Next time I have video to edit I am going to investigate a Mac running the native Apple video editing software.

Just Wanna Edit

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 7 freezes, haults, blows up, etc.
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In my years of troubleshooting issues in Premiere (all flavors), the problems normally sort out this way, and in this order:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

4.) OE

5.) Bugs

Now, to help you get started with the necessary detail to remove these one-by-one, this ARTICLE is a place to begin.

This ARTICLE will help with gathering clues on crashes.

If you need additional info on gathering the details of your Assets, please see this ARTICLE for details on that info gathering, and why it's important to get complete details.

Remote troubleshooting is never easy. We cannot sit at your computer along beside you, while you encounter problems. The more that you can help us, the more effective and efficient we can be.

Good luck,

Hunt