6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 9:04 AM by stuey73

raw not working on cs2

stuey73

i have a nikon d60 and cs2 . i cannot open raw files . i have downloaded the latest update available for cs2 camera raw 3.7 . made sure the correct path was chosen but it still does not recognise the files .

• 1. Re: raw not working on cs2
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

That camera is NOT supported in CS2.  Period.

The Nikon D60 was first supported in ACXR 4.4, as per

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

D60NEF4.4

You have to download and run the free, stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter 5.4 to convert your raw NEF files to raw DNGs first, which you can then open in ACR 3.7 hosted by CS2.

Or you can upgrade to CS4, update it immediately to ACR 5.4, and open the Nikon raw files directly.  ACR 5.4 is light-years ahead of 3.7.  You'll be losing a lot of image quality if you stay with 3.7.

• 2. Re: raw not working on cs2
            safarilad

I own a D700 and am considering buying Photoshop.  It was my impression that the new version (CS4) came with the latest ACR version (in this case 5.4) as part of the Photoshop software.  i.e. nothing to download, and Photoshop (and Lightroom) would work seemlessly w/ my NEF files.  Have I got this all wrong?

• 3. Re: raw not working on cs2

When you first install Photoshop CS4, it installs an old obsolete version of ACR, namely 5.0, which you must immediately update to ACR 5.4 yourself.  You also have to update Photoshop to Photoshop 11.0.1, as the version that will be installed had some bugs fixed in 11.0.1.

Version 5.0 of ACR was current when Photoshop went golden, the install media were burned and the trial download was put up on the web site.  At that time Photoshop 11.0.0 was current.

The user has to update both after the initial installation—and keep them current adterwards.  There are three to four orderly updates to ACR per year.

The feature set changed very substantially in 5.2.

Always use the latest version of Camera Raw.  Beside support for more camera models, each version icludes unannounced bug fixes and unheralded enhancements and improvements.

I can't speak to Lightroom, as I don't use it.

• 4. Re: raw not working on cs2

In general, after installing any new software, the first thing I do is to look for updates to keep it current.

• 5. Re: raw not working on cs2

Another drive-by poster… …makes two in this thread.

Nice.

• 6. Re: raw not working on cs2
                    stuey73 Level 1

thankyou very much for your advice , downloaded dng convertor and all working sweet now . i was gobsmacked at how much more detail you get in a photo shot in raw as i had never done this before . i think i will have to save my pennies and upgrade to cs4 .