8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 6:31 AM by Susanraegolf

Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up

Susanraegolf

Can anyone help me with a new Toshiba laptop with Vista and Premiere Elements 4 and Photoshop 6.... I keep having errors, it shuts down, hangs up, etc.,  I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times.  When on Premiere, the screen shows like a white srceen and i have to start all over.  Elements isnt working normally either....  ANY HELP??????  do I have to buy the newer Adobe versions? 

• 1. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Susan,

You have gotten into the wrong sub-forum. Since the changeover, many have fallen into the same pit. Here is the PrElements forum.

Now, PrE has been good to go with Vista, since the PrE 3.0.2 update, IIRC.

For your problem, I'd first download and install the very latest Audio and Video drivers for both your video card and audio card/chip. The video driver can be a bit tough, as Toshiba does some proprietary work on the video drivers, so those from the card's mfgr. will often not install properly. If this is your case, do try the Toshiba site, but they were never very good at updating the proprietary drivers. Audio should be much easier.

Also, install the latest version of Apple QuickTime Player. PrE interfaces more so with this player, than does PrPro.

If you have Window Blinds, get the latest version. I'd also make sure that you have things like Sidebar turned off.

Good luck, and please post to the PrE forum, as others will very likely have even more input,

Hunt

[Edit] Well, it seems that while I was posting, the MOD's moved the post for you. That was why I got a "Server Error," when I posted.

• 2. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
            Susanraegolf Level 1

im sorry i was in the wrong forum.  So thank you for catching it

So you are saying there should be nothing wrong with Premiere 4 and Vista????  Its my brand new laptop?

Very upsetting.  Do you think the next version of Premiere would work better- more smoothly?  So frustrating... to have a decent program that wont work with a new computer..

• 3. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 4 and Photoshop Elements 6 should run very well on Vista, Susan!

I've got them running on both my XP and Vista machine, and they run almost flawlessly!

Have you got adequate hardware on your computer? Lots of power and hard drive space, with at least 2 gigabytes of RAM?

Have you ensured you have latest updates to Vista SP2 and Quicktime? Even brand new, fresh out of the box computers can be months out of date!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

Do you defragment your hard drive often? Do you clean and maintain your system?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

Finally, most challenges people have with Premiere Elements (aside from a poorly maintained computer) are related to their source files.

What kind of camcorder is the video your'e editing coming from?

• 4. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
                Susanraegolf Level 1

here is my system- I used the snipping tool..

(see attached)

my camera is sony handycam dcr-sr47

but I dont understand how to make settings on camera match the program.....

neither one is working smoothl- keep shutting down.   Wierd things.

I will do the updates and quicktime now....

• 5. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I dont understand how to make settings on camera match the program.....

Susan,

It is actually the other way around. You media source files will dictate the Project Presets in PrE. These need to match. If you need to get something different, that is handled with Export/Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I'm sorry i was in the wrong forum.  So thank you for catching it

Do not worry. The sub-fora were just restructured and most of us are still working through the changes. The forum MOD's actually moved your post to the correct sub-forum, as I was posting the link here - they ARE quick!

So you are saying there should be nothing wrong with Premiere 4 and Vista????  Its my brand new laptop?

Very upsetting.  Do you think the next version of Premiere would work better- more smoothly?  So frustrating... to have a decent program that wont work with a new computer..

Your version of PrE should run fine. Now, you must remember that when a computer ships, the drivers are probably out of date already. Then, if there is a Windows update (usually set to automatic by default), these will likely render most drivers obsolete and one never even knows that their system changed.

Unfortunately, Toshiba, while making good computers, does not offer the support that I feel they should. With my Satellite (top-of-the-line then), I was never able to update my video driver. nVidia's would not install, and Toshiba did not offer a new one (though nVidia had maybe 50 new ones in that time), while the laptop functioned. I had to actually "build" my own driver! Toshiba never responded once in five years, to my requests - nada. Now, the Realtek audio drivers were another thing. The new drivers from the Realteck site installed fine.

The above was one reason that I did not consider Toshiba, when I replaced my laptop. I went with another laptop company, Sager, that did not do proprietary drivers for video and then not offer any updates or support.

I hope that Toshiba has changed their policies and now actually offer TS for the users.

If they HAVE changed their policies, you might be able to get updated video drivers from the vid-card mfgr's site, or from Toshiba's site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
                      Susanraegolf Level 1

Thanks so much for your input- you reccommend a Sager for Adobe products?  I think I may take the toshiba back today.... Ive tried all things this forum has mentioned.... nothing is working..... So a Sager might be the answer

• 8. Re: Premiere 4 and Vista- a "white out" apears/gets hung up
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For me, it was. What I appreciated most was the multiple HDD's. Internal HDD's are a real boon to editing, but too few laptops offer them. Instead, one is relagated to a single disk. Even a large, fast single disk is handicapped when doing things like Video editing. The best that one can do is use externals, but their connection will be the limiting factor. I do this, even with the 3x internals on the laptop, but I also want the portibility of the external, so I can move entire Projects between the laptop and the workstation. For this, I use FW-800 externals and have a FW-800 dual-chip ExpressCard on the laptop, plus PCIe multi-chip FW-800 cards on the workstation. FW-800 is about the minimum, by my performance standards, and eSATA would be even better. When I started, eSATA externals were still rare, so I have a major investment in FW-800 externals. Were I building from scratch now, eSATA would be the way that I would go.

Now, I do have to point out that the Sager laptops are not cheap. They are an investment, but like all computers, have a limited useful lifespan. Today's hottest unit will be rendered almost obsolete in a year! I have had great results from my Sager. It has been well worth the $ to me. Still, they are not cheap. Their power, performance and quality come at a steep price. Please check out thier SITE, before you ditch the Toshiba. Going back, my Toshiba did well for about four years. I had few problems, other than a total lack of support by/from Toshiba. It was a good machine, though I had to "build" my own video drivers, whenever a new one came out, as Toshiba had a policy of abandoning each machine, when it left the factory. The little bit of interaction that I have had with Sager TS has been positive. Because of the construction of their units, I can use the nVidia video drivers right from the nVidia Web site - unlike with the Toshiba. I'm not sure how Sager supports drivers, and other issues, as I have not needed them - the drivers are right on the nVidia Web site.

Good luck, but please check the $'s first. I do not want to be recommending something that would not fit into your budget, however good the laptop might be. Also, be very aware that with things like a high-rez 17" display and multiple internal HDD's, battery life WILL be limited. I run my on AC, so it's not an issue. If I had to shoot in remote locations and use the Sager, I'd need a generator, or multiple batteries (not as easy to swap out, as my old Toshiba) to do much computing. Also, the unit produces heat, so you will not want to actually work with it IN your lap. Even outside, on a teak table with slats and openings, I run a Zalman laptop cooler pad - but also remember that I am outside in Arizona!

Hunt