3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 8:34 AM by igraq

Could not open the file. An internal error occurred.

JohnDoe40

I've recently encountered a show-stopper of a problem.

I've been working on a large, 10.1MB, 57-page Fireworks PNG inside of Fireworks CS4. Fireworks often threw an error that read "Internal error occurred," and a page didn't display properly, but I just saved the PNG and restarted Fireworks and the problem disappeared. Now, when I try to open the same file, I get a dialog box that reads:

Could not open the file.

An internal error occurred.

This is obviously mission-critical and I have no idea how or why this happened. I never had this problem before; it wasn't gradual.

These are the steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue:

• I've moved the vast majority of my 3500 fonts into the control of Extensis Suitcase, which caused its own problems (certain Postscript fonts added in Suitcase aren't recognized by Fireworks), thinking that possibly a font file was corrupt. Only system fonts remain in the Fonts folder.
      • I've deleted the Fireworks preferences folder.
      • I've opened the identical file in Fireworks CS3 on the same computer, which opens just fine. However, when I even start to scroll through the pages of the document, Fireworks instantly crashes.
      • I've opened that Fireworks PNG in Fireworks CS3 and began deleting pages. Here's something very interesting that happens. When I delete one certain page (titled "change", let's say), it's deleted. But when I click on any other page after deleting it, Fireworks instantly crashes. So deleting that one page is okay, but then I move to any other page afterward. Other pages are deleted successfully.

One question is this: as I can't delete certain pages, is it possible to export Fireworks pages one-by-one in Fireworks CS3? I want to preserve all the web layers and everything. So I don't want to just export a pages as a jpeg.

Another question: If I open this file in Fireworks CS3 and export pages one-by-one and then open them in CS4, will there be any difference? Will opening the file in CS3 and then saving it as a Fireworks CS3 PNG change the file and make it different from if I had saved it in CS4?

I'm on Vista x64, SP2. Fireworks 10.0.3.

• 1. Re: Could not open the file. An internal error occurred.
          pixlor Level 4

JohnDoe40 wrote:

I've been working on a large, 10.1MB, 57-page Fireworks PNG inside of Fireworks CS4.

Fifty-seven pages?

This is obviously mission-critical and I have no idea how or why this happened. I never had this problem before; it wasn't gradual.

You say the problem didn't come on gradually, yet a few lines above you say that Fireworks gave you plenty of warning it was having trouble with this file. Even with the errors, you continued to build on a fragile, or possibly corrupted, document rather than stop and identify the problem wtih the file:

Fireworks often threw an error that read "Internal error occurred," and a page didn't display properly, but I just saved the PNG and restarted Fireworks and the problem disappeared.

When the program started having trouble handling the file, you probably should have split it, or at least separated out the problematic pages and tried identify if the problem was with any element on that page or if it was simply the size and complexity of the file. Did you ever run Task Manager while you had Fireworks open on this file? (Check the Resource Monitor under the Performance tab for detailed system use info.)

• 2. Re: Could not open the file. An internal error occurred.
            JohnDoe40 Level 1

pixlor wrote:

You say the problem didn't come on gradually, yet a few lines above you say that Fireworks gave you plenty of warning it was having trouble with this file. Even with the errors, you continued to build on a fragile, or possibly corrupted, document rather than stop and identify the problem wtih the file:

Fireworks often threw an error that read "Internal error occurred," and a page didn't display properly, but I just saved the PNG and restarted Fireworks and the problem disappeared.

When the program started having trouble handling the file, you probably should have split it, or at least separated out the problematic pages and tried identify if the problem was with any element on that page or if it was simply the size and complexity of the file. Did you ever run Task Manager while you had Fireworks open on this file? (Check the Resource Monitor under the Performance tab for detailed system use info.)

Let me please clarify, pixlor. This problem did not come on gradually. I never had any difficulty opening this PNG in Fireworks CS4. I have numerous other files of roughly the same length with which Fireworks has had no difficulty.

When I said that Fireworks was throwing errors, it wasn't throwing them when encountering certain pages of the file. I doubt that the file is corrupt. Rather, the longer I worked on the file, the more likely it was that Fireworks would encounter an error. These errors could be ignored, in fact, as a simple restart of Fireworks remedied them. And again, there were no "problematic pages" or "elements." I hope you can see, now, why I claim that this error came on suddenly.

However fun it may be to lambaste me, though, pixlor, my goal is to solve this problem. So if you have any suggestions or answers to my questions, I would appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Could not open the file. An internal error occurred.
              igraq

This is obvious problem for me, when i forget to delete all Photoshop Live effects from fireworks objects. When i copy/paste any object from photoshop with live effect on it, i can save that file without any problems, BUT i can't open it. No solution yet. Anybody else?