25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 1:54 PM by the_wine_snob

CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?

SVLbyler Level 1

I use the Titler externsively in my projects, but always with trepidation and fear (and saving the project after each use ).  Why?  Because the Titler, more than any other Premiere operation, crashes Premiere without warning.  Click a button and I'm staring at the desktop.  Occasionally I'll get a "Premiere must now close" box first.

I had the same problem with the .ptl titler in 6.5, but I thought surely — surely by the time the product had passed through 7.0 to CS3, someone would have fixed it.

Thanks for any insight.

• 1. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This happened for me with 2.0 whenever I had my camera connected during editing.  Very predictable, very repeatable.  Open a title, camera is connected, Premiere crashes.

• 2. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

There are strange things done by Adobe, son,

By those men who moil for Flash --

And Amtraks' rails have their secret tales

That would make your face to blush,

The Titler is the prodigal son. It is such a pity that TitleMotion Pro never got a decent SDK from Adobe with the advent of PP to continue their line of development with the only worthwhile titler plug-in for PR. They quit and understandably, but we, the users are the victims. I'm still hoping, against rationality, that Adobe will entice TtileMotion again to supply their fabulous plug-in again for PR CSx.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do a forum search for corrupt font

I don't have a link, but I have read a few messages that titler problems were caused by a corrupt font

Windoze itself does not complain when starting, but the Premiere Titler is VERY sensitive to font corruption

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With the exception of Jim's stated situation (never encountered that, but then I do all my Captures, disconnect everything, then edit, so I would likely not have seen it), I agree that the most oft encountered reason for a crash is a corrupt font.

Titler is far more sensitive to bad/corrupt fonts, than anything else by Adobe. I've had one bad, installed font bring Titler to its knees, when PS, AI and InDesign worked happily with that same bad font.

I use Extensis Font Doctor (part of my Suitcase font management system, but available as a stand-alone) to survey and repair all fonts on my system. It'll go out at my direction and survey all 10,000 fonts in various folders (only a few hundred ever installed at one time) and give me a report. It'll likely repair most, and then offer to furnish me with full info (so I can go get another copy) and delete any that cannot be repaired.

FontFrenzy (freeware, but you do need to register it) is good at finding bad fonts and repairing them too. [Make sure that you click on the correct Download link as there are ads on that page!]

Also, there are some fonts that are not "bad," they are BAD for Titler. Deja Vu (included in the SunMicro Systems' OpenOffice) is one that we've been warned about. There are probably others too. [Thanks to Jeff Bellune]

While there could be other causes of crashes for Titler, fonts are the most common issue. Clean out any bad, BAD or corrupted fonts, and you likely have solved the issue - oh, and do take Jim's advice and unplug your camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Just pulled up an article from another forum, to refresh my memory.

Two other fonts, both TTF's:

Isabelle

Isabella

Caused both display issues and also crashes. Note that both have several different variations from different foundries. My tests indicated that each had display issues (as many variations as I could download and test for free), but I got no crashes. Other users got the crashes too.

Probably many, many more out there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                    SVLbyler Level 1

Thank you Hunt, and others, for your help.

> oh, and do take Jim's advice and unplug your camera.

The camera is not the problem.  It's only attached during export and, seldonly, when I need to upload a patch from tape backup (I record direct to disk, and occasionally that glitches).  Most of the rest of the time it's out recording other gigs.

However, I'll take your (collective) advice and make sure I don't leave it connected after such an upload.

One aspect that isn't clear from your font discussion:  Does the Titler only crash if the title is using a corrupt font, or also if any installed font is corrupt, even if it's not used in the title that causes the crash?  I would assume the former.  If so, it's a long shot (but I'll check) because I only use Arial and Times New Roman.

Side comment, perhaps stating the obvious:  Crashes such as these result from uncaught exceptions.  Any well-written program should have at least a generic exception handler.  I suppose the "Premiere must now close" window comes from one such.  The sudden disappearance to the desktop come from one or more the authors didn't allow for.

(BTW, not knowing the rules/etiquette of this forum, I didn't sign my name originally.  I'll fix that.)

Thanks to all again.

Larry

• 7. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Does the Titler only crash if the title is using a corrupt font, or also if any installed font is corrupt, even if it's not used in the title that causes the crash?  I would assume the former.  If so, it's a long shot (but I'll check) because I only use Arial and Times New Roman.

Good question. The answer is basically, no. Titler will survey all installed fonts, and that is where the problem most often happens. It basically builds a list of all installed fonts, upon opening. The display issues will be with a selected font.

Note the "installed fonts." Though I have many fonts on the system, it's only the ones that get installed in Windows that matter. As I manage mine (installing and removing) with Suitcase, I needed to know that ALL fonts were good, not just the ones that are installed.

For Titler crashing issues, it is the installed fonts, that you need to be concerned about for now. If you are like me and have many others that are not installed, you only need to worry, when they ARE installed. That's what I liked best about Font Doctor - it'll go into my TTF, my OTF, my PS Fonts and any other folders to check them all. That way, if I need to install one from one of those folders, I have no fear that that one might be corrupt.

I also keep my installed fonts list pretty short, until I need other fonts, to keep the resources usage down as much as I can. That is where a good font manager (FontFrenzy does that too, and it's freeware) comes into play. You can install/uninstall on the fly. I create "Font Sets," usually by client, or by Project, and just load those, when needed.

Also, Titler is a little resource hog. Some crashes have not been from particular fonts, but from having resources in the computer too strapped. If all of your installed fonts check out fine, then I would look to Task Manager, or similar to see where your system resources are going, with and without Titler running. You possibly (actually, that should be probably) have many unnecessary Processes loaded, that will sap resources. I use a little utiltiy EndItAll2 to stop all unnecessary programs and Processes for each editing session. This gives the greatest number of resources to my NLE, whether I am using Titler, or not. If it isn't a font(s), then look to your resources next.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                        SVLbyler Level 1

I'm afraid your knowledge of fonts far exceeds mine.  I've been assuming that any font in

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

is installed, simply by living there.  Any font anywhere else is uninstalled.  Is that correct?

I downloaded Font-Frenzy (thanks for the pointer).   I haven't figured out yet how to register, but it appears to work.  It found 430 installed fonts.  After Defrenzy there were 54...

That should really help the boot time delay as well as the Titler and resource issues we've been discussing.

It Repaired all 430 (original) fonts with imperceptible delay and no notification of corrupt fonts.  From that, I gather there were none.

Thanks again for your help.

Larry

• 9. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

I've been assuming that any font in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts is installed, simply by living there.  Any font anywhere else is uninstalled.  Is that correct?

That is correct. You can have all sorts of fonts "stored" on your system, but it's only the ones that are installed in Windows\Fonts, that matter for now. [See my comments on installing other fonts with a font manager. THEN, they would come into play, as well.]

It Repaired all 430 (original) fonts with imperceptible delay and no notification of corrupt fonts.  From that, I gather there were none.

It's been a long time since I used FontFrenzy, so I do not recall its dialog screens well. I, too, would assume that all was well, if you got no errors, or warnings in the process. Font Doctor displays a lot of dialog boxes, when every font is not perfect. It tells of any problem and then offers to Repair. If this works, it tells you that it was successful. If not, then it offers to Delete in a couple of ways - full Deletion, Move font to another folder, after uninstalling from Windows, etc. It also gives full details of any that it cannot repair, so one can go out and track that font down elsewhere.

I'm hoping that after FontFrenzy, your Titler issues will clear up. Sprucing up the Windows\Fonts folder will likely help some resource issues and also load times.

As many programs will install bunches of fonts, I am always amazed to find that I went from a lean, mean 250 and now have 900+ installed. I just go in and uninstall some, placing them into the appropriate storage folder for later use. One must take care here, though, as some of those "new" fonts might be needed for their program's interface, like the necessary Windows fonts. I've uninstalled and moved a few, only to find that program A won't open any more. Dang, have to go in and reinstall some fonts, until I track down the one that that program is needing.

By my recollection, FontFrenzy was pretty smart about uninstalling fonts that are "system fonts," and needed by Windows. Maybe with Vista, or Win7, those will be marked with a big red star, or something. Same for necessary program fonts - maybe a yellow star?

If problems presist, after all that you've done, then a long hard look at Task Manager>Processes would be my next step. I mentioned the utility that i use. First, however, I used MSCONFIG to eliminate all detritus from the Startup and Boot sections. Next, I close ALL AV, pop-up blockers and spyware sweepers, because they will lie to EndItAll2 and tell it that they ARE necessary. It's part of their design. Then, I run the utility, and during editing have zero Internet presence. I do not do any e-mails, and never have any "messaging" apps. installed. I've also removed most of the "helpers," for programs like iTunes and similar, and let EndItAll2 shut those down completely. If I want to edit by music (other than in my Project), I grab the iPod and listen.

Hope that you get all Titler issues resolved.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that I do, when faced with a Tilte-intensive Project is to do all of my Titles in Photoshop (PS). I'll use my word processor with Spellcheck, as I am a poor spellar [SIC], and Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v the text into an appropriately sized image in PS. I can add all sorts of extra Styles and Filters there, and often arrange my text onto different Layers, so I can animate these individually in PrPro (Import>Sequence, so as to retain all Layers).

I like Titler, but it does have limitations. It's a touch of PS, with a bit of Illustrator thrown in. Still, it falls short with intricate Titles. I'll eschew the ease of workflow, for the power of PS, plus the Spellchecker of my word processor.

Just something to think about,

Hunt

• 11. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                              SVLbyler Level 1

[my origina reply, sent by e-mail, bounced.  Here 'tis, directly on the forum...]

> If problems presist, after all that you've done, then a long hard look at Task Manager>Processes would be my next step...

[long list of apps snipped]

I do live recording of community theater groups.  I bought two laptops primarily for direct-to-disk capture using OnLocation.  Real time performance is crucial, so I've deliberately kept them lightly loaded.  When I'm on a shoot, I also Disable the wireless network interface and shut down the AV.

I also edit on one of these, so there is no e-mail client, iTunes, or any other unnecessary clutter.  Just a few simple utilities like a registry cleaner and now Font-Frenzy.  Unless there is some rogue system process, or the AV is interfering unnecessarily, there shouldn't be any CPU resource issues.

I should also have mentioned that I don't do anything fancy with the Titler — just credits text (still and scroll) over screengrabs.

But I just remembered something that supports your (virtual memory?) resource issue argument.  Sometimes the screengrabs are instead imported fairly high-res photos.  The Titler crashes more often when I use those.  It did that in 6.5 as well, and I was only using the old .ptl facility there.

Save early — and often.

Thanks again,

Larry

• 12. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Sometimes the screengrabs are instead imported fairly high-res photos

I always resize to the Project Frame Size in PS. This maintains the ultimate quality and also does not unnecessarily sap resources. Might be worth a try.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS glad to hear that your machine is lean, clean and mean. All too often people have a hundred unnecessary programs/Processes running and never even know it.

• 13. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                  proenza Level 1

the best way to do titling, complex or even simple ones, is using aftereffects...

my opinion

cheers

• 14. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

AfterEffects is a great compositing and animation program. However, it is overkill for 98% of the Titles. One can do nearly everything needed in PrPro and PS. For the rest, there is AE. It is like saying that to go to the grocery, one needs an MB SLR (McLaren). Great car, but overkill.

Hunt

• 15. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                      proenza Level 1

i said that is my opinion.

And it makes all the sense...

a few years ago, i just wanted to do all the things in premiere, because i didnt want to learn any more programs, maybe i was a little bit lazy

of course, at that time didnt existe all the suits and integration in adobe like today.

one day i decided learn aftereffects, and did you know, it's not so scary at all, it's very user friendly program

i think if we want to progress, we need an open minded and learn new tools to not stay froze in time.

i'm talking here about two adobe products that they are very well intergated, not a different program like 3D.

Photoshop is a great option too

Another thing, many times i see people that they want to do many (3D things) in aftereffects like titling or creating volume from 2D, and it's possible, but the thing becomes very complex and you loose too much time... some things like that can be done in a real 3D program in 5 minutes. so i say, the best way is sometimes learn new things, im not talking in mastering every program, just for the needs...

cheers to every video artist

• 16. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh I do agree with you. AE isn't scary at all *. I use it very often for things that PrPro, or a combo of PrPro/PS do not do well. It has great powers and they are appreciated. I just find that much CAN be done, without going to it. It all depends on what one wishes.

I try to keep my workflow simple, though I do not hesitate to reach for other tools. I use Painter for a lot of image work, as an adjunct to PS. I feel no shame in doing so. It's the same with AE. When PrPro can't do the job, off it goes to AE.

I am not putting AE down, in any way. It's a great program. There are so many things that it can do that it would either be impossible in PrPro, or take forever and not afford adequate control. For what I believe the OP is looking to do, however, I think that all can be done in PrPro. Now, if they do have AE, it might prove easier to use it. Only the OP can tell.

Thanks,

Hunt

* Now, I do wish that some aspects of the GUI in AE were more similar to those in PrPro, but then I spend 95% of my time in PrPro and only 5% in AE. I still have to search a bit too much, but that is just me.

• 17. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                          SVLbyler Level 1

Hunt wrote:

> For what I believe the OP is looking to do, however, I think that all can be done in PrPro. Now, if they do have AE, it might prove easier to use it. Only the OP can tell.

I do not have AE, and have no plans to buy it.  You see, Hunt is right.  I'm creating simple static or scrolled titles over (usually) a static photo or (occasionally) a clip from the video.  Since I'm only a hobbyist providing souvenir recordings of community theater productions, that's all I need.

I used to use a variety of transitions between the stills (which are individual photos of cast members; the title is their role and/or name) — clock wipe, push wipe, slash slide...  I was counseled by another videographer, whose work I respect, that it was distracting.  Now I only use simple dissolves.

In other situations (sales or marketing videos, for example) it may well be true that AE would be useful in spicing up a presentation.  I've always admired the way the opening "Jeopardy" title flies in like a magic carpet before settling into place on the screen.  You can probably do stuff like that with AE; I wouldn't know.  But such effects would be severe overkill in my videos.

Still, I appreciate the flow of ideas and the help I've received here.

Thanks again,

Larry

• 18. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm with that other videographer. Now, part of it is because I started in film, and we did not have, but a few Transitions, that we could use - luckily.

Some years later, Ampex was a great still advertising client, and they were doing some very powerful switchers of the day. I'd get to play with those, while my assistants were setting up the lights and building the sets. The biggest thing that they were touting was the number of Transitions that one could use with multi-camera feeds and film-chains. I looked at and played with these, and wondered - "what the heck would I ever use these for?" Still, they were the big selling point, so we shot the switchers and the monitors and accented those Transitions, 'cause they were selling these switchers, regardless if I could see a need, or not. I recall when they added something like the "beam me up Scottie" Transition and that add-on was US$15,000! Still, TV stations around the world ate that stuff up.

For your uses, PrPro and PS can do all that you would want. If you have not looked into the power of Keyframing in PrPro (OK, AE's is more powerful), you absolutely must do this. Using multi-Layered .PSD Titles, you can animate each Layer. With some Keyframed Effects, so very much is possible.

However, just as with Transitions, think about exactly what you are doing. Do not animate just to animate. Keep true to the theme and keep it subtle and smooth. If the audience even says "wow," once, you have probably overdone it. You want them to smile inwardly and never know exactly why.

Just like dance, you want the audience to remember the total performance, and not get hung up on a few special moves, or steps.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS there is a standing joke in the Video Lounge, that each editor only gets to use "Page Curl" once, and then must delete that Transition.

• 19. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

Sorry that I managed to get your request for help off on a tangent.

Did the font suggestions help you? Is Titler still crashing on you?

Because Titler does take more resources than most other aspects of PrPro, I'm hoping that if it was NOT a font issue, the resizing of the still images, and maybe removing some resource intensive programs and Processes in the background, have helped with your original problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                                SVLbyler Level 1

Hunt wrote:

> For your uses, PrPro and PS can do all that you would want. If you have not looked into the power of Keyframing in PrPro (OK, AE's is more powerful), you absolutely must do this. Using multi-Layered .PSD Titles, you can animate each Layer. With some Keyframed Effects, so very much is possible.

I do not have PS.  Rather, I should say I have PS Elements 3.0 on another box.  I use it only for DVD case and label artwork, and to generate my matte masks.  Animated titles would be nice for menu buttons (and I could do that with clips anyway), but I doubt I would use them in credit sequences.

And I do use keyframes, primarily for Motion control.  Maybe someday I'll read the manual a little deeper and learn what they can do for titles.

> PS there is a standing joke in the Video Lounge, that each editor only gets to use "Page Curl" once, and then must delete that Transition.

I used to use it, along with the other transitions I mentioned in an earlier post, and many others.  Before I went digital, I had a friend make up titles for me (he was an earlier adopter), and I added them to my analog video using extremely crude techniques.  He was particulaly fond of Page Curl, but he was doing me a favor so I kept my mouth shut.   I very rarely use oddball transitions in the body of a performance.  I just used a Page Flip in a production of Little Women to illustrate a flashback transition.  If you're familiar with the show, it starts with Jo March in a boarding house in New York.  After the first number, the scene segues continuously to two years earlier in Concord, MA.  It seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

From a different post:

> Sorry that I managed to get your request for help off on a tangent.

Hey, that's what forums are all about.    It's always interesting to hear new stuff and new slants on old stuff.

> Did the font suggestions help you?  Is Titler still crashing on you?

Your timing is almost perfect.  I haven't had a chance to try yet, but I'm finishing up an edit.  I wanted to be done today, but at this rate I'll be lucky if I finish tomorrow.  Then I start work on the credits sequence with a whole slew of hi-res stills and only 55 fonts instead of the 430 that used to be there.  (I use as hi-res as possible, up to PRs 4K x 4K limit, in order to be able to make otherwise obscure chorus members big enough for a separate credit.  The photos I have for this job are 3504 x 2336.)

The hi-res should provide a good stress test of the resources..  If the Titler still crashes, it probably rules out fonts as a cause.  I'll report back when I finish.

Thanks,

Larry

• 21. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  I do not have PS.  Rather, I should say I have PS Elements 3.0 on another box.  I use it only for DVD case and label artwork, and to generate my matte masks.  Animated titles would be nice for menu buttons (and I could do that with clips anyway), but I doubt I would use them in credit sequences.

I've never even seen PSE, so take this with a grain of salt. From my reading, it appears that about the only thing missing from PSE, for these purposes, would be Adjustment Layers. Not sure if it has Layer Masks, or not. Otherwise, many use it for the same purposes in Video, that I use PS. As a matter-of-fact, I was going to recommend it, until I read the lines above.

Now, if you wish to animate Menu buttons for use in Encore, just remember that you will be producing a Video to "lead into" the real Menu. During the Transition to the real Menu, you'll want the animated graphics of your Buttons to be really short, so the user doesn't try to click on them, until they become the "real" Buttons. Also, in Encore preview, you WILL get a black flash between your "transiton" Video and the real Menu. Check this out with a DVD RW and do not be alarmed. That preview glitch is very common, and almost always disappears, when a DVD is burned.

One useful little feature that you might miss out on is the Edit in Photoshop operation from within Encore. This is not a biggie, but is a workflow enhancer. OTOH, with the .PSD file association to PSE, it might work fine. I just do not know.

Before I went digital, I had a friend make up titles for me (he was an earlier adopter), and I added them to my analog video using extremely crude techniques.

Going back to my film days, I did all titles via Lettraset press-on type, and tons of grey art boards. Some would be filmed directly, while some went first to 35mm slides and then were shot with a micro-lens on the motion camera. A lot were shot on lith film and then hand-colored. Boy, I do not miss those days.

Good luck with the fonts issue. Just because that is often a cause of similar problems does not mean that it is the only possible cause.

Hunt

• 22. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                                    SVLbyler Level 1

> I've never even seen PSE, so take this with a grain of salt. From my reading, it appears that about the only thing missing from PSE, for these purposes, would be Adjustment Layers. Not sure if it has Layer Masks, or not.

Your question triggered a dimming memory.  It does not.  When I first got the CS3 stuff, I spent some time actually skimming the manuals looking for useful ideas.  When I got to Encore and its interfaces with PS, including layering, I tried layer masks with PSE 3.0.  It didn't fly, so I lost interest.

> One useful little feature that you might miss out on is the Edit in Photoshop operation from within Encore. This is not a biggie, but is a workflow enhancer. OTOH, with the .PSD file association to PSE, it might work fine. I just do not know.

It might, but as I wrote earlier, I keep the capture and edit boxes as lightly loaded as possible.  My PSE 3.0 is on a separate system, so I do all my PS work on that system and just network the results to the edit system.

When I set up my present arrangement, I considered dedicated real-time capture systems (with only OnLocation loaded) and a separate edit box.  That would have allowed PS on the editing system  Then reality, in the form of budget, intervened...  So I capture on both systems (one camera for each hand, each through a laptop running OnLocation, direct to external disk).  Then I attach both disks to one of the systems for editing.

Larry

• 23. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

Thank you for the clarifications. Even in the PrE forum, I write all still image manipulation articles for PS, and point out that PSE might well be different.

Now, back to the fonts issue (maybe?). Do you happen to have SunMicro System's Open Office, or similar? Any Corel Draw fonts?

The reason for those questions was touched on upthread. Jeff Bellune found that the SunMicro OO font, Deja Vu crashed Titler. It was one of their fonts. I do not know if there any more in its installed fonts - only that one. Still, there could be more. As for Corel, things might have changed over time, and I do still use WordPerfect and its installed fonts on most of my machines without issue. Still, going back, Corel Draw had a ton of fonts that were nothing but trouble. These problems usually manifested themselves with commercial printers, but there WERE other issues as well. I removed 100% of those, and never saw another issue. Might be worth thinking about, if you don't yet have it sorted.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                                        SVLbyler Level 1

>> Did the font suggestions help you?  Is Titler still crashing on you?

> Your timing is almost perfect.  I haven't had a chance to try yet, but I'm finishing up an edit.  I wanted to be done today, but at this rate I'll be lucky if I finish tomorrow.  Then I start work on the credits sequence with a whole slew of hi-res stills and only 55 fonts instead of the 430 that used to be there.  (I use as hi-res as possible, up to PRs 4K x 4K limit, in order to be able to make otherwise obscure chorus members big enough for a separate credit.  The photos I have for this job are 3504 x 2336.)

> The hi-res should provide a good stress test of the resources..  If the Titler still crashes, it probably rules out fonts as a cause.  I'll report back when I finish.

I finished Tuesday but the Forum was down.

I thought maybe we were on to something, since I had worked through more than 50 titles without incident (saving the project all the time, to be sure).  Then along about the 58th it crashed (direct to desktop, no "serious error" window).  And again at about 65 (which was almost the end).  But that's far fewer than before.

I think there must be some kind of memory leak with the Titler, and perhaps in Premiere itself.  I know that with continued use, things start slowing wa-a-ay down, and are only set right by rebooting the system.  That's why I always reboot before exporting to tape.  It might have been interesting to reboot after the first Premiere crash and see if that would have avoided the second.

Larry

• 25. Re: CS3, why does Titler often crash Premiere?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

I am saddened to hear this. I was hoping that you had it licked.

Now, Titler is a really a little add-in app., so it does require a bit more in the resouce dept., than just PrPro. Still, I've never seen a memory leak with it. When doing as many Titles as you, however, I probably do most of my work in PS, and then Import the PSD's as Footage, into PrPro. If you cannot get a handle on things, you might want to consider doing the last dozen, or so, in PS with PSD's. The limitation will be that you will not have the direct movibility of the Text blocks, a la Titler, but you can use Motion>Position on the PSD's to move the text around, as is needed. Might get the Project out the door.

I think that we discussed running/loaded Processes, as a possible resource hog on your computer, but maybe I'm confusing threads. If you have not cleaned out all unnecessary running/loaded Processes and programs, I'd do so. I do this with MSCONFIG, when I get a new computer, and check after much has been installed. I then shut down ALL anit-virus, pop-up blockers and spy sweepers, then run EndItAll2 to shut down anything else. This gets me into "NLE-mode," and frees up as much as can be freed up for PrPro.

Also, did we discuss your Page File, its size and how it's managed? If not, please tell us about it too.

Good luck,

Hunt