5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2010 5:20 AM by JETalmage

Curved rectangles

KC29 Level 3

This must be simple but I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

If I draw a rectangle with round corners, how do I adjust those corners after the rectangle has been drawn?

I can double-click on the toolbar and set a new radius for the next rectangle, and I can do the thing with arrow-up-down to adjust the radius as I'm drawing it.................but how do you adjust the corner radius of an existing rectangle?

Using CS3 on a Mac 10.4.11

• 1. Re: Curved rectangles
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You don't. This is just how it works. If you need adjustable values, create a sharp-cornered recttangle, apply the Round Corners effect. Expand appearnace when satisfied for further processing.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Curved rectangles
            KC29 Level 3

That solved the problem - so to adjust a curved corner you draw a straight corner. Weird way of going about it, but it works !

• 3. Re: Curved rectangles
              cmgtbone03

When you choose the rounded corner rectangle tool here are some good tricks. Note you need a stroke for this to work. As you drag your mouse across the screen to create the rectangle you can press the Up and Down arrow keys to adjust the radius of the corners. Left and Right arrow keys snap the corners to no radius and rounded radius. Enjoy!

• 4. Re: Curved rectangles
                [scott] Level 6

cvalley.com makes the XtremePath plug in for Illustrator.. it's a huge benefit for filling these types of holes in some areas of Illustrator path editing.

• 5. Re: Curved rectangles
                  JETalmage Level 6
                  That solved the problem - so to adjust a curved corner you draw a straight corner. Weird way of going about it, but it works !

What you're struggling with is the fact that--unlike just about any drawing program (or even word-processor, for that matter!) on the planet, and unbelievable as it is--Illustrator has never provided basic geometric shape primitives with live adjustable parameters. When you use a shape primitive tool (ellipse, rectangle, star, polygon, etc.) in Illustrator, the result is simply an ordinary, dumb path.

The shape prmitive tools in every other graphics program in the world create special objects that are "live effects" in the same sense that, for example, setting a path's stroke weight can be considered a "live effect"--it's parameters are adjustable until and unless the object is "nailed down" to basic paths. Illustrator has never provided this very basic functionality. In fact, it was only a few versions ago that Illustrator began to provide the awkward keyboard modifications of the parameters during mousedown as you create the path. It's one of several unbelievably outdated limitations in Illustrator's archaic interface. It embodies the very definition of sub-standard.

It's why an ellipse in other programs can serve as a circular or elliptical protractor. It's why other programs can maintain the centroid of a star or polygon as a snappable location.

It is why just about any other drawing program you choose can do far more than AI with fewer shape primitive tools cluttering the main toolbox. For example, done right, there is no need for separate Star and Polygon tools. Nor for separate Rectangle and Rounded Rectangle tools. Nor for separate Ellipse and Arc tools.

The continued absense of proper shape primitives in Illustrator is nothing other than, well, downright primitive--and is an exceptionally embarassing limitation beyond even that, given all of Illustrator's too-much-ballyhooed emphasis on eveything being a "live effect" in Illustrator since version 9.

As another workaround just as stupid as the poorly-designed Round Corners effect already mentioned, you can employ the ridiculously limited and laughably unintuitive Convert To Shape>Rounded Rectangle effect. But even this too-prominate-for-what-it-does feature is unable to adjust the corner radii individually.

This matter of basic shape primitive objects is case-in-point of the clutter and disorganization of too many too-underpowered tools and commands that continue to permeated Illustrator's interface.

JET