2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 10:17 AM by SVLbyler

CS3, exporting to tape has problems with more than two video tracks

SVLbyler Level 1

Well, not quite, but that's the best I could do in the subject line.

I record multiple performances and edit scenes from among them.  At times, this results in three or four video tracks on the timeline at once.  Each track is 100% opaque, so only the top Enabled track shows.  By Enabling or Disabling the various tracks, I can get the sequence I want.

And the sequence plays back fine in the Monitor window.  But when I try to Export it to tape, as soon as I get to such a place, the image hiccups around the same small number of frames (think of the video equivalent of an audio sample).

It's not the number of video tracks.  I can add Image Mattes on a third video track operating on the two below.  I can add any number of titles on different tracks.  They need to render, but then they export to tape perfectly.

What's different about three or more .avi tracks, even when they are Disabled?

• 1. Re: CS3, exporting to tape has problems with more than two video tracks
          Jim_Simon Level 8

AVIs need to be "read" from the hard drive and can create a bottleneck depending on certain conditions.  Mattes and titles are stored within the project (and hence memory) so don't cause that same bottleneck.

Render before exporting to tape is SOP.  Go with that.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS3, exporting to tape has problems with more than two video tracks
            SVLbyler Level 1

Thanks, Jim, for your reply to this and other threads.  (Warning:  I had two other questions — been saving them up for awhile — that I'll post shortly.  It was too late already last night).

> AVIs need to be "read" from the hard drive and can create a bottleneck depending on certain conditions.

Agreed, but unless there is partial opacity in the top Enabled track, only one track at a time is exported.  And in the cases I cited, the unused clips were Disabled.  No need for Premiere to read them at all.  I assume the state of each clip is part of the Project.

Ah well, I was only curious if I was missing something obvious, or perhaps it was a known bug that would be addressed.  Apparently the additional resources needed for tape export push Premiere over some edge.  Remember, I can watch (even Preview) the sequence in the Monitor window without seeing this artifact.

> Render before exporting to tape is SOP.  Go with that.

Naturally.  And I do.  And if I didn't, Premiere would do it for me automatically before opening the Export to Tape window.

Thanks again.  On to the next thread.