14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 9:39 PM by tavo024

Beta version limited to 15 pages/status

Wulffrunner

Hello,

I was using Catalyst for a vew days now just to realize that there is a limitation on the amount of pages/status you can create. After 15 pages/status a window informs the user that a "temporary limitation" to 15 pages/status is reached. Is there any way to work beyond this limitiation or is my work lost?

All the best,

Wulffrunner

• 1. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Sorry to hear this limitation has gotten in your way. The good thing is it is a temporary limit for beta 1 and will be increased in the next beta release.

Here is how you can work around this limitaiton in beta 1:

- convert several of  the application level sates/pages into a custom component.  The custom component will then take up only one Application level state/page. You can still use interactions to control the state of the custom component. You will notice that when you build a "Play Transition to State" interaction that both Application states and states of custom components are list.

Here's a ASCII diagram to Illustrate

Start

State1     State2     State3     State4     State5     State6     State7...

Refactored to push application level states into a custom component

State1     State2     State3      State7...

|

Custom Component

State4     State5     State6

Now, I don't know the content of what your building. For some designs this can be an inconvenient workaround and for others it can really clean things up by reducing complexity. If you have several top level pages in your app that are completely different than other pages (as in they don't share any objects with the other states) than pushing these down into a custom component makes things a lot more manageable in Catalyst. The layers panel, for example, shows all objects across all states. This is useful when your states share many objects. If your states don't share a lot of objects the layers panel gets a bit unmanageable. Refactoring into a custom component allows you to fix this by grouping content into a containe

Ty

• 2. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
            Wulffrunner Level 1

Dear Ty,

Thanks for your help. You added another dimension to my work. I will try it right away.

All the best,

Wulffrunner

• 3. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
              dragotron75 Level 1

Ty you helped me out with this in an earlier thread and it sounded like it will work but now im not sure. What I want to do is create a gallery. and in my PSD file all the images are on top of each other so if I turn them each into custom components wont they all just cover the underlying ones making me need to still have a state for each image?

• 4. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                dragotron75 Level 1

i'll explain better what i'm trying to do through ASCII

i have 8 gallerys with 4 images and 4 thumbs each. I want to be able to switch between each gallery and then when i'm in that gallery to switch between images by clicking each thumbnail.

GALLERY1              Gallery1thumb1                 Gallery1Image1

GALLERY2              Gallery1thumb2

GALLERY3              Gallery1thumb3

GALLERY4              Gallery1thumb4

GALLERY5

GALLERY6

GALLERY7

GALLERY8

If I make all of the thumbnails in Gallery1 one component, wont I no longer be able to treat each thumbnail as a separate link to show and hide each image?

• 5. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                  Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi There,

What you're trying to accomplish is certainly possible. I'm going to describe one way of doing this, though there are several other related ways.

Let's say that you're just creating a "Gallery1" component. It has the following behavior:

1. Click on the "Gallery1" button, we show a list of Gallery1Thumb[1-4]

2. Click on one of Gallery1Thumb[1-4], we show the corresponding Gallery1Image[1-4]

I made a component that lays out similar to your ascii diagram (Gallery1 button shows thumbnails in a vertical list to the right, Gallery1Image1 is shown to the right of the thumbnails). The basic idea is that clicking on the Gallery1 button transitions to another component state that shows the thumbnails. Clicking on any of the thumbnails transitions to a state where the corresponding (larger) image is displayed.

Steps:

1. Create your Gallery1 button. Right Click / Option Click it and choose "Convert Artwork to Component" > "Custom Component"

2. Double click your new component to enter Edit-In-Place

3. Select your initial state in the Pages / States bar and choose "Duplicate State"

4. This second state is your "Showing Thumbnails State". Select it.

5. Now create your list of thumbnails. I did this using a DataList. Here's the rundown:

5a. Drag out one of your thumbnails to the top left corner of where your thumbnails will go

5b. Right click / option click the image, and choose "Convert Artwork to Component" > "DataList"

5c. Double click the image to enter Edit-In-Place on the Image

5d. Right click / option click the image, and select "Convert Artwork to DataList Part" > "Repeated Item"

5e. Open up the Design Time Data panel at the bottom of Catalyst. Remove / Add rows and set the image in each row to be the thumbnail you want (click the image in the DTD Panel and you'll be able to change its source)

5f. Double click the ArtBoard to exit Edit-In-Place on the DataList

6. Duplicate State 2 (your thumbnail state) in the Pages / States panel, and click State3 to begin working there. This is your "Gallery1Image1 Showing" state.

7. Place Gallery1Image1 on the ArtBoard (I placed it to the right)

8. Set up the event handlers. To do this:

8a. Select your Thumbnail DataList

8b. In the Interactions panel choose "Add Interaction" -> "On Select" -> "Play Transition to State" -> "State3" -> "When a Specific Item is Selected" -> "Item 0".

9. Repeat 6-8 for each of your Gallery1Images.

10. Click your Gallery1 Button, add an On Click -> Play Transition to State -> State2 (so you'll show the thumbnails)

Run the project and see what you get. Instead of creating a DataList, you could add each image, convert it to a component, and add a separate On Click -> Play Transition to State handler.

-Bear

• 6. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                    Dragotro Level 1

thanks a lot Bear! it seems to be working! I appreciate the help.

• 7. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                      paulslashbruce

hey!

the way you showed here is great and seams to be working.. although, i've got a little problem with this. in my 'gallery' page i made two custom components - photography and graphics (check out the image)

screen1.jpg

but when i click 'photography', the 'graphics' button doesn't disappear... (the 'photography' button disappears when i click 'graphics', so i think it happens because the layer with 'graphics' component is over the 'photography' component layer and i can't put anything between them, cause i'll cover one totally, or replace them, 'cause it won't change a thing)

screen2.jpg

this really annoys me, especially that i've been working on this page a whole day and i can't think of anything that would fix the problem.

i'll be really grateful to anyone who'd like to help me out!

cheers!

• 8. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                        YKCreativeArts Level 2

You may use Action Sequence on click on Custom Component Interaction, like:

01) When you click on say Photogallery Custom Component, add interaction as "On Click->Play Action Sequences".

02) Select the Graphics Custom Component on Canvas, and choose Fade in Timeline panel to fade it out. Then it wont show up.

Hope it helps.

• 9. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                          paulslashbruce Level 1

Thank you so much! it worked and everything's fading as it should!

• 10. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                            paulslashbruce Level 1

hey!

once again thanks for your tip - now everything works great! however, i've got a little problem... when i go to the gallery page and choose one of the custom components ('photography' or 'graphics') and i can't get back to main gallery page anymore. i was trying to put a button that would transit me to the 'gallery' state but that didn't work.. i also tried to make a button that would make the components fade out, but that doesn't seem to be workin' as well.. pls, help!

• 11. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                              YKCreativeArts Level 2

That seems to be a logical problem to me. I also tried similar project and could get the states back, but we have to apply logics to let FC know that we want what appearance at which state. I am uploading a sample project as per your desire at

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ATXP0AKC,  which you may download and see how exactly I have played with different custom components in Interactions Panel. Hope it helps.

• 12. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                                YKCreativeArts Level 2

That seems to be a logical problem to me. I also tried similar project and could get the states back, but we have to apply logics to let FC know that we want what appearance at which state. I am uploading a sample project as per your desire at

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ATXP0AKC,  which you may download and see how exactly I have played with different custom components in Interactions Panel. Hope it helps.
                                • 13. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                                  paulslashbruce Level 1

oh thank you once again! had to re-organize my project and that really helped me out! ;P

• 14. Re: Beta version limited to 15 pages/status
                                    tavo024

Muchas gracias muy útil tu aporte