14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 9:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Noise Reduction help please, CS3

Diamond Ent.

Hi Everyone,

We have a 1 hour 32 minutes long footage, and we would like to use the Noise Reduction (set to 10) in Media Encoder to make it look better.

When we started the encoding, we saw we have 80 HOURS remaining of encoding time altogether. VBR 2 pass, it told us it takes 40 hours per pass.

Is there something wrong with our settings somewhere, or does this really take this long? It makes such a huge difference in our footage for the better, that we'd really like to use it.

Is there any settings/effects in Premiere or Encore where we could replicate the noise reduction that Encoder does, without having to have the computer run for 4 days?

When we checked our footage on the Xbox 360, we noticed that our TV had a "MPEG Noise Reduction" setting on it, where we could choose Low, Medium or High. Those settings took care of our noise problem (our picture gets very pixelated at times) on the fly. When we did 30 second test renders with the noise reduction in Encoder, the end results looked identical to those of the TV set. We find it hard to believe that a TV can do noise reduction on the fly while Premiere/Encoder would take 4 days....

Computer:

Quad core at 2.7 GHz

6 GB RAM

Project settings:

PAL source footage, 1:32 (h/m) long

Encoder settings:

NTSC Progressive High Quality at quality 5

PCM sound

Thank you for your help in advance

• 1. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Noise Reduction in the AME takes a very long time.

Although I've never used it beyond the demo, others have had very good

results with the Neat Video plug-in.

http://www.neatvideo.com/

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
            Diamond Ent. Level 1

Thank you for the tip, Jeff.

Is there a way for us to replicate the noise reduction as an effect? We'd like to avoid buying more software to finish our projects if possible.

• 3. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
              Diamond Ent. Level 1

Also, does Neat Video render faster?

With the quality of AME we are very satisfied, it just takes so long that its impossible to wait out, not even speaking of being scared all the time when a power outage or a thunderstorm comes along...

• 4. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3

I don't have a canned method just using effects.  I think you'd have to

layer several of them together, at which point you'd increase your

render time enough that it might end up being the same as for the Noise

Reduction filter in the AME.  Maybe someone else has already worked out

how to do it.

You can spend money or you can spend time in order to finish your

project.  It's all the same, isn't it?  What's the dollar cost of the

hours you'll spend rendering?

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3

Try the demo and see how the render time compares.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                    Diamond Ent. Level 1

Thanks Jeff  

We'll try it, and post back the results when we're done.

• 7. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I use Neat Video often. It is very good, and though does take some processing time (as Jeff points out), is probably 10-20x faster (and better IMHO), than the Noise Reduction in AME.

It's extremely good at automatically finding the settings if you have some blank area in the frame, but also allows for infinite tweaking. For the ultimate in determiing the best setttings, I'd recommend shooting a few seconds of a greay card in the same lighting setup, and then doing the automatic survey on that, before applying those settings to the rest of the Clip - just cut out that grey card, before you Export! Still, with a clean wall, or ceiling in the scene, the automatic works really well, and you can still tweak. For me, Neat Video was well worth the $. I normally throw in a little Unsharp Mask Effect AFTER Neat Video. Experiment, as you do not want to overdo it. Just a touch goes a long ways.

I also highly recommend their still image plug-in for Photoshop, Neat Image. I've used it to take 4x5 transparencies up to 12' x 15' and they looked like an 8" x 10" from Kodachrome. I actually added a touch of noise back, they were so clean. Again, a bit of Unsharp Mask AFTER Neat Image is the way to go.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                        Diamond Ent. Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the tips.

We bought Neat Video, and will be trying it out later today. Unfortunately we're not able to shoot a blank gray thing with the same lighting and camera like you said, because our source material consists of old concert footage from 1990, cut together from different cameras at the same show. We will try and find a sufficient spot somewhere in the footage.

I do have a problem that I'm not sure how to solve though, maybe you can help?

Our footage has PAL aspect ratio (720x576), and when I open the Neat Video, the preview clip/frame is extremely stretched. We read in the help files that I need to open a new project with the aspect ratio settings of 650x480 (or something similar), but that's not what we need.

Can I make the 720x576 look normal in the preview window in NV?

We do have the pro version.

Again, thanks for your help!

• 9. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          We will try and find a sufficient spot somewhere in the footage.

That is what usually happens. Few of us actually shoot a grey card at the beginning of each lighting setup. After the automatic detection phase, you can move the little square to another spot, should the plug-in NOT choose a good "blank spot." Then, run the automatic detection again. Last, tweak to the best of your abilities. The "preview" is smaller, than I would like, but what is, is what is.

Can I make the 720x576 look normal in the preview window in NV?

Since I am in NTSC-land, I have not encountered this. However, as it is a preview, I'd not be too concerned with what it shows, so long as it does not change your source footage, and I cannot believe that it would. It's all about the preview, and it should apply the Effect to your footage, regardles of what it might show. Please report if this is not so. Sorry that I have never used Neat Video with PAL, so have not encountered this problem. I hope that it is just "preview," and not something more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                            Diamond Ent. Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the info.

Now that we've had some time to look around the interface, we figured that the preview is stretched sideways probably because our video is interlaced, not progressive, amd Neat Video seems to take out every other line. Our NV preview dimensions are 720x288, and if you double up 288 it comes to 576 which is what it is in premiere. So for some reason NV takes out every other line, effectively halving our footage's tallness. No idea why, or how to make it not do that though. Kind of bothering not to have the full picture in there.

We haven't done any noise removing yet (reading through the manual at the moment), but I highly doubt the preview would affect the footage to be squished. If it does, then I'll file a bug report.

By the way, our footage is PAL, but we'll be transcoding our material to both NTSC and PAL to work with in Encore (menu setup, etc).

Thanks again for your help!

• 11. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                              jonhand Level 1

Don't worry about the preview size. It will render fine.

We use NeatVideo all the time (if you read the manual carefully and do some tests, it will render superior to AME noise reduction).

Unfortunately you won't save much rendering time. It takes forever. There is no way to overcome this.

I last time I applied NeatVideo to a 1-hour timeline, I went away for two days and had fun with my family. You could get a second studio PC to handle just the AME renders, so you don't have to lose your main PC for other work...

Good luck.

• 12. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                last time I applied NeatVideo to a 1-hour timeline, I went away for two days and had fun with my family.

Yes, it is not quick. I had to use it on a bunch of VHS captures, and for 1 hour Timelines I had time to go out to dinner. Do not recall being able to get away to the mountains, or anything, but then I did just fire up the laptop and head over to this forum. I'd guess that my 1 hr. Timelines were taking about 4-6 hours to process each, though I did have some other Effects applied to most Clips. Neat Video, however, was the biggie in every case.

Thanks for verifying the display issue for the OP. As all of my material was NTSC DV-AVI Type II, I had not observed that problem and was only speculating.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                                  jonhand Level 1

On a VHS SD capture timeline the render time for NeatVideo is much less. My huge render times is for HDV resized to SD for DVD output (in AME with high quality turned on). I apologize for not being clearer in my earlier post. For HDV timeline, render time is enormous. SD, not so bad.

• 14. Re: Noise Reduction help please, CS3
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That is good info to have, though not necessarily "good news." When I migrate to HD, I'll plan my vacations around the Renders!

Hunt