7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2017 7:36 PM by carlosfilippa

Retrieving deleted audio possible?

jdmack01 Level 1

Let's say I have a project that consists of several short clips, and I have deleted the audio from the timeline because the audio is unneeded and the audio clips are in the way.  Later, my client tells me that they want to hear the audio for each the sort clips quietly in the background.  Is there a quick way to restore the deleted audio for each of my video clips?

J. D.

• 1. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Click on the video clip, locate in project and drag from the project to the timeline.

• 2. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Harm points out, your Audio Clips have NOT been deleted. Only the "instance" of them on the Timeline has been deleted. The Audio is still attached to your Assets in Project Manager and can be easily retreived and placed back onto the Timeline.

In similar situations, I usually find that just Muting, or Bypassing the particular Audio is enough. I leave them in place, for situations as you describe. Clients have a real habit (must all go to "Client School?") of doing that, just when you think the Project's perfect.

If the Audio Clips get in the way, resize your Timeline Tracks vertically, so that they appear either above, or below the point where you'd have to scroll to see 'em.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
              jdmack01 Level 1

Thank you for the replies.  The problem stems from my method of editing.  I'll usually have long clips in my project which I'll add to the timeline, and then proceed to chop and rearrange the clips there.   If I pull the clip from the project to the timeline, it will be its full length.  I only want to retrieve the audio from small portions of the larger clip.

J. D.

• 4. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Place the CTI over the clip whose audio you want back.  Press the M key

to load the source clip in the Source Monitor.  The in/out points for

the video will be respected.  With the SM as the active panel, press the

Q key (Go to In Point) and then press the I key (Set In Point).  Press

the W key (Go to Out Point), and then press the O key (Set Out Point). 

That sets the In/Out points for the audio to match the ones for the

video.  Then drag the audio icon (or change the Take Audio and Video

switch to just Take Audio) to the timeline and place it under the clip

segment you chose initially.

It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get used to the keyboard

shortcuts, it will go really fast.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  If I pull the clip from the project to the timeline, it will be its full length.  I only want to retrieve the audio from small portions of the larger clip

For that, you are probably better off to get your larger 'Source Clip" into the Source Monitor and setting the In & Out Points to match what you have set in the Clips in the Timeline already. You can get just the Audio from these and place them as you wish. Each will be but an "instance" of the Source Clip. Hint: the Info Panel will be your friend, as will having both the Program Monitor and the Source Monitor side-by-side.

Personally, if I anticipated this, I'd just do a Render/Replace of all Audio (creates and Replaces with a WAV file, that will appear in the Project Panel for later use), before I deleted anything. You can either leave the WAV in place and Mute it (as mentioned above), or delete it from the Timeline and it's still in the Project Panel and on the HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Jeff was posting a more elegant solution, while I was typing and on the phone. Use his method!

• 6. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe in your next project you could make subclips, then retrieving the audio is very simple.

• 7. Re: Retrieving deleted audio possible?
                      carlosfilippa Level 1

I'm looking for the same problem. I just find a workaround to retrieve all the audios at once.

1. Export an EDL from the sequence

2. Open the EDL with a text editor

3. Replace all the "_V_" with "_AA/V_" where _ is a space

4. Import the EDL to the project

5. Relink all the clips

But I think Adobe should have a tool to do this because I don`t think this was an isolate problem...