11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 11:41 AM by kglad

Small Scroll Wheel Problem

EricFight

I have a flash site in as2.0. When my site for shows up i can use the scrollwheel,but if i click anywhere on the website then i can't use it again after that. Any idea on what i can do to make sure i can use the scrollwheel the whole time. Most people use the scrollwheel, at least i do. Please help. You can check out the website and see if you have the same problem.

www.signsetconline.com

• 1. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i don't see a problem.

• 2. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem
            EricFight Level 1

Ok, thanks for the prompt response. So if you go to the signs page or any other page you can still scroll up and down when you get there. Cuz on my computer once i clip on another page the scroll wheel won't work??  Could that just be a computer problem??

• 3. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem

don't see anything to scroll on signs or any other page except home.  when i return to home, scrolling works as expected though the scrollbar doesn't work quite right.

• 4. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem
                EricFight Level 1

yeah i know the site isn't quite finished yet.....do you have a big screen monitor maybe? Because on all my computers at work(4 of them). If your on the home page you can scroll down just a bit with your scrollwheel to get to the very bottom of the page, and then when you click to go to another page it wont scroll. Do by chance now any script to make your scroll wheel prominent over the whole site? I really apreciate your effort. I'm new at all of this.

• 5. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem

i have a 1920x1200 monitor.  i can minimize the browser window so the browser needs to scroll to view all your website and when i do that your website scrolls normally.  BUT that means i have to click outside your flash to give the browser focus so the browser window will scroll.  that's expected behavior.

• 6. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem
                    EricFight Level 1

thanks for the knowledge, you know your stuff. Is there any way around that or anyway to put a place on the site that says"Mouse here for Scroll wheel Use" Or something along those lines?????   I've been to some flash sites that the scroll wheel works, but i could be mistaken! And THANKS AGAIN!!!

• 7. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem

i don't think your site works differently than anyone elses site.  people that use the mousewheel know they have to click to use their wheel.

• 8. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem
                        EricFight Level 1

ok... i see....but on my screen the flash sites take up most of the page and it's almost hard to find a place to click so the browser takes focus, but thats not your problem...thanks for your help, it was tons useful....if you ever find a way around it that would be awesome cuz i don;t think my boss is gonna take that as an answer.....lol....thanks again

• 9. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem

you're welcome.

• 10. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem
                            EricFight Level 1

KGLAD.......i found the answer to my problem incase you wanted to know

Try adding this to the <head> tag of the HTML file that your SWF is embedded into:

HTML Syntax:
                            ------------
                            <script type="text/javascript">
                            function pageScroll(amount) {
                            window.scrollBy(0, amount);
                            }
                            </script>
                            ------------

Then, in your ActionScript, add these lines:

ActionScript 2 Syntax:
                            ------------
                            import flash.external.ExternalInterface;

var mouseListener:Object = new Object();
                            mouseListener.onMouseWheel = function(delta) {
                            if (delta != 0)
                            ExternalInterface.call("pageScroll(" + (delta*25)*(-1) + ")");
                            }
                            Mouse.addListener(mouseListener);

This make the scrollwheel work the whole time no matter where your focus is!!!!

Thought you might wanna know!!

• 11. Re: Small Scroll Wheel Problem

that's not annoying when the mouse in a scrolling textfield?