16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 3:34 PM by RonNovy

Please take this very short Audition survey

_durin_ Adobe Employee

Hi folks,

As we work on the next version of Audition, we'd love to get feedback on what you want from the application.  I hope we can count on you to take part in several short, focused surveys in the coming months.

Right now, we'd like to find out which audio effects in Audition are the most popular.  This includes both the built-in effects as well as 3rd-party VST effects you may be using.  Please take a moment to fill out this short (2 questions) survey:

http://bit.ly/TqCui

For 3rd-party effects, please be sure to include the name of the plug-in along with the company that created it.

Also, if there are effects that you would like to see added to the next version of Audition, please post a reply here and include some details about it.  (e.g. type of effect, where you would use it, etc..)

Thanks for your help!

Durin

PS - This survey data will be used for internal product planning purposes only and will not be shared publicly.

• 1. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
          RonNovy Level 2

Will the results of this survey ever be released?

I'm pretty curious to know the results

[edit] Arg... I guess I should have read the entire thing...

• 2. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
            _durin_ Adobe Employee

Hehe, that's okay.

We do not intend to publish the results of the survey, especially after assuring they would only be used internally, but that shouldn't stop a discussion here for those who wish to share their own responses.

Let me even take it a step further, and ask what effects you might prefer over Audition's built-in effects, and why?  Are there Audition effects that you wish you could use in other applications?

• 3. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
              RonNovy Level 2

Here is an idea for a new plug-in...

How about a nice Measurement/Analysis/Tuner plug-in that can give real time information about the incoming audio...

Things like:

Amplitude/RMS

Peak/RMS

Dominant frequencies

Stereo Phase

It could have display views like:

Wave view (Oscilloscope)

Spectral view

Phase view

Tuner view <---   (maybe something like a strobe tuner with the option of adding a reference note to playback)

I know you can do some of that already, but it would be pretty easy to do some of it in a plug-in and it could just develop to something more over time.

[edit] Or they could just be separate plug-ins...

• 4. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                bmdenton23 Level 1

To be honest Durin, I just don't use that many of Audition's native effects, and it's never bothered me that I find most 3rd party effects to be supperior to Audition's with respects to changing DAWs. I simply use Audition because the workflow suits me. I hope there will be some opportunity in the future to comment or take a survey where we can offer our workflow ideas..

I use Auditions - Scientific Filters, Amplitude-Amplify,Channel Mixer, Parametric EQ, and Click/Pop eliminator, that's about it.

I certainly understand having to load up a DAW with effects in order to compete and sale a product, but I for one would be ok with my DAW's effects to stripped down to nothing but the basics so that every bit of development effort could be spent improving workflow, compatibility w/ 3rd party stuff, efficiency, etc...

That probably wasn't too helpful a post, but I would be interested to see if there are others who would prefer the product direction go in a similar direction.

• 5. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                  RonNovy Level 2

I'm pretty much the opposite when it comes to third party effects... I use what Audition has first and if I can't do it with Audition then I search for a plug-in that can or some other software to at least assist in what I'm trying to do.

My 5 most used Audition effects are probably:

Noise Reduction

Phase Restoration

Mastering effect

Studio Reverb

Chorus

Other 3rd party plug-ins are:

Drumagog ( http://www.drumagog.com/ )

BFD ( http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=1&tab=162 )

Peavey ReValver™ MK III ( http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/ )

I do sometimes use iZotope Ozone or other iZotope plug-ins too, but now that Audition has it's own multiband compressor I try and use Audition first...

As for work flow, I spend most of my time trying to get the drum tracks just right.  In the video on the BFD website here about half way through it shows basically how I used to work with drums using drumagog and BFD.  Now I just mark the beats using Audition and then convert those beat markers in each individual drum track (kick, snare, hat, tom) to it's own individual MIDI file and use that for editing drums... You can't completely digitize a real performance that way but you can mix the samples in with the real thing and add/delete hits here and there... Or if the original drums don't have a good enough sound I can use the BFD samples and then re-record just the real symbols together or individually as necessary to get a perfect set of drum tracks...  It would be nice to just have all that built into AA

For guitars I like to run ReValver on a seperate computer with low latency (when possible) to get ReValver working live. If that doesn't work out I just run the clean signal to an amp and record the amp and the clean signal so I can try it out later on ReValver for a cleaner sound... Or mix some clean guitar with the dirty one.  But if AA's Guitar Amp effect were a bit better with the dirty side I might just use that. Simpler is sometimes better but I like all the features in ReValver...

• 6. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                    dstdean Level 2

I use Auditions - Scientific Filters, Amplitude-Amplify,Channel Mixer, Parametric EQ, and Click/Pop eliminator, that's about it.

I'm right along with you, even down to the specific plugs.  I use Waves Platinum, PodFarm iLok, and SonitusFX for "outside" plugs.

--Dean

• 7. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                      veech1

I don't have an answer specific to your question at the moment (let me think more about it) but there is one feature I think should be added to the next version, if not made part of the next update:

If changing a setting in Audition requires the program to be closed and restarted before the change takes effect, there should be a pop-up window that says so when the change is made.

thanks for the opportunity to make the suggestion.

Veech

• 8. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                        Geoff Vane Level 1

I used Audition 2.0 a lot when it came with CS3. Now we have CS4 and I miss Audition.

I struggled with the multi-track engine a lot. If I had to do some crossfading, it allmost never sounded right, so I use premiere to do that. Much faster in my case. I couldn't understand the engine without reading the book and in real life I have no time to read manuals, sorry. (Adobe books are bad anyway, there is no explanation where you can find certain settings, only that you have to use them. And they don't show you in a logical way how to do things.)

I also hate the Audition / Soundbooth way of navigating over a sample. Far too fiddly, I always lose track of the spot I am focussing at. Please learn from Soundforge, the have a perfect way of navigating through a sample window.

So, how can I miss Audition then? The Izotope multiband compressor. I really need that. Never heard anything better. And the hard limiting as shown in the tutorial by Total training is very good. It is strange and fiddly that you have to try it several times, to find out if you don't go over a certain percentage. However weird that you can not just type in how much percentage you want, the end result is very good. The pitch shifter and retimer is also something I need but Soundbooth has an easier one and does sometimes sounds better.

Soundbooth has the handy clip tool for removing the end and the beginning of a sample. That sould become standard, like the drag fading tool which is also handy.

The timestrechting/pitch shifting in soundbooth is easier than in Audition and sometimes it is better sounding. Only one thing is very annoying. You can not see the time in videoframes but only in audio notation (milliseconds or whatever). So the time I type in, never corresponds to the premiere track. I have to try several times by trial and error. I just create a fake track with the new length in premiere. Export that into Soundbooth. Measure that time. Fill in that time in the sample that needs to be stretched in Soundbooth.

Soundbooth fails in its multiband compressor. It's useless for it sounds horrible. Also the maximizing and the hard limiting fails in many ways. I never use it because it enhances cuts and partial level adjustments in terrible ways. It also seems to distort with these tools very fast in weird ways. It's also not nice, having an auto hard limit when you keep maximizing. If you forget you maximized, you end up with junk.

All seperate premiere tracks should be able to fly over to Audition, in the same multitrack representation and then you should be able to edit them and put automatic copies back into premiere with one click. Then you would be doing something good for the world.

• 9. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                          SteveG(AudioMasters) Level 6

Geoff Vane wrote:

I struggled with the multi-track engine a lot. If I had to do some crossfading, it allmost never sounded right, so I use premiere to do that. Much faster in my case. I couldn't understand the engine without reading the book and in real life I have no time to read manuals, sorry. (Adobe books are bad anyway, there is no explanation where you can find certain settings, only that you have to use them. And they don't show you in a logical way how to do things.)

The reason that you are having crossfade problems is that you are using Audition 2.0 - and I'd have to agree with you about that version when it comes to crossfades. But in Audition 3.0 the single most useful update was a completely new crossfade system that happens to work brilliantly - enabling even  multitchannel crossfades even to be done with precision, and quite seamlessly. And it's easy to use too.

As far as manuals go, it seems to be the case now that really they are just a list of the facilities present, with one or two notes added when somebody could be bothered. The old Syntrillium manuals were rather better, but it would appear that this simply isn't Adobe's style. As far as I can tell, this might actually be a deliberate policy; there are so many ways in which you could achieve the same results using Audition in any given circumstances, that just to suggest that there might only be one 'correct' way of doing things (certainly multiple-step processes) would imply that other approaches might actually be wrong - when they aren't. The argument could even be extended (although I think rather unfairly) to suggest that Audition is pro software, and in terms of processes, once they've understood the basics of how it works, 'ideal' users should be able to work the rest out for themselves. And it's unfair simply because it's completely unrealistic. And yes, there's stuff missing from the manuals - on the AudioMasters forum we even have a post containing otherwise unpublished (or underpublished) information that really should be there.

If you look at the printed manual and do a comparison with the help files, you will find that apart from the obvious structural differences, they contain identical content, and that's another short-cut that I don't think is particularly helpful. If you have all the context-sensitive information in the help files, then surely the manual should go beyond this, otherwise there's no point in having one, surely?

• 10. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                            Geoff Vane Level 1

You're probably right about the difference in version 2 and 3, as regarding to my crossfade problems. I can't check because I don't have 3, but I believe you.

About the Adobe manuals. I'll be clear. I never read the Audition paper version. Haven't got the time. I must do my audio editing and mastering within 15 minutes. I edit low budget TV commercials for a living (audio & video). A very good program does not need a manual, or it must be for setting up certain preferences and showing you some tricks like shortcuts and so on.

I tried to find out in v2 how to do the cross fading, but I have only about 5 minutes to find something out, and then time is up. If I can't find it in such a timeframe, the help is worthless.

I'd rather have no book at all, just a very good help file. There's where Adobe falls short enormously. They THINK they do allright by telling you things like this: to do A, use panel B and option C from its D menu. Problem is, they forget to show you time after time, how to summon various tabs and menus or where to find them!!!

And what also makes me furious, are the new help files which search on the internet. I don't want that. I have Google.

Furthermore, older functions like f.e. the after effects help text galleries are now hidden under a panel in the Bridge. Took me hours to find that out. They really shouldn't do such things. I'm in an extreme hurry and I can't adjust to silly changes every new version. It's work, not a hobby.

The worst help is found with Indesign for print. I had to create left aligned text, then some dots to fill the line and then some right aligned text. Think like on a CD's track listing. It took me one entire workday to create that. It's enough to make a grown man cry. I saved this structure in a special archive, because I need it every year and I could never reproduce this setup again. That's how little help you can expect from Indesign help files. Illustrator come in second evil, especially snapping and curve adjusting are very nasty to look up. I could continue the list but don't get me started, I must think of my heart here.

Adobe software is great, but most helpfiles make me wanna kill something. And, certain programs should have lexicons to explain the jargon. For example, I know nothing about print, but I still have to work with jargon laden Adobe apps.

• 11. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey

Well as I said, I can only agree with you about the manuals - but what I don't know is how to do something about it... because previous complaints have fallen on deaf ears. I think that this has far more to do with corporate policy than anything - I'm pretty sure that the developers also don't really like the software being sold short, but that they can't really do anything about it either.

• 12. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                                _durin_ Adobe Employee

You're not going to get any argument from me on this topic.  I think documentation for software in general has become less helpful as our computers have become more powerful and our applications get more complex.  While I do appreciate the push towards the more dynamic, more community-supported documentation online, to me nothing beats real-world example tutorials for learning how to use tools.  Once I can see one method of achieving a particular goal, or how a particular tool can be used, it opens a lot of doors and encourages experimentation.  Learning by doing is far more useful to me than reading about parameter ranges.

Hmm..  A good Audition-specific tutorial wiki might be a very good idea...  I happen to have a domain I've been sitting on for months trying to figure out what to use it for.

Anyways, thanks for the input.  It is being read and will be shared.

• 13. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                                  djwayne2000 Level 1

Hmmm effects I use most often...In no particular order........Studio Reverb, Limiter, Multi-Band Compressor, Amplify, Fade Out, Graphic EQ, Delay, Mute/Enter Silence.

What I would like to see ??   More presets for each effect. I audition presets like crazy, always looking for the "just right" sound. I know I can tinker around and save my own custom presets, but having killer presets already set up can be a great time saver.

You may want to include some sort of synth or sound module for working with midi....something like the Spectrasonics line of soft synths....

Anything from iZotope is cool, I love the Multi-Band Compressor.

A Leslie effect.

• 14. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                                    RonNovy Level 2

How about a new effect?   A multiband delay for correcting frequency/phase problems?  Don't know if that would be usefull, but might be interesting...

• 15. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey

RonNovy wrote:

How about a new effect?   A multiband delay for correcting frequency/phase problems?  Don't know if that would be usefull, but might be interesting...

Slight problem with that... exactly what you are talking about is in the full version of Ozone - and it's one of the features that has been deliberately left off the restricted version in Audition. You can probably work the rest out...

• 16. Re: Please take this very short Audition survey
                                        RonNovy Level 2

Nnooooo... Say it ain't so

I have an old version of Ozone, but I don't really use it anymore since AA3...