8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 11:16 AM by amberfrog

Batch Placing Word Documents

amberfrog

Hi

Is it possible to create an Indesign CS4 Script for Windows in Javascript, using Indesign's script library. http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/scripting/pdfs/InDesignCS4_ScriptingGuide_JS.pdf

Such a script would need to

1. Place one Word Documents in Word 2007 from a series of Word documents in a nominated folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\PDOCS) into the second page of an Indesign CS4 template (as a Word 2007 imported document)

2. Save the resulting document with a unique file name to a second nominated folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\INDOCS)

3. Search for the next Word Document and repeat the process until all the documents are completed in the relevant folder.

Do you know anyone who might be able to complete this task ?

Many thanks

Peter 

• 1. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Laying down the basics is not hard: reading a file folder puts all files into an array, ready to be looped over. Opening a template and saving it as ID document is no problem. You don't specify what name the output ID document should have; giving it the name of the original Word doc sounds logical.

Do each of the documents fit into that one page? Or should the script add pages until done? Mind, sometimes a Word document doesn't "play nice" and ID cannot add pages by itself. In that case, what are the specifics? Master pages? Text frames?

Is there already a text frame on that page 2 to place the text in? If so, add a Scripting label to it: click the text frame, open the Script Labels panel, type in a useful identifier. Press Tab to confirm -- double check by selecting something else, then the text frame again, the name should re-appear. Then save the template.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
            amberfrog Level 1

Hi

Many, many thanks for this reply.

The script needs to add pages until the document is "done". The current templates have text frames in place, and Master pages. You would not know anyone who might be able to create the script for us (Obviously we would be happy to pay by Paypal or any other usable method. Currently we are placing the files by hand and there are a few thousand of them!

Regards

peter

• 3. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
              OSLOT

Hi Peter,

My company would be able to help you out with the scripts. We can't do it for free (but maybe someone on this forrum can). Feel free to send me an e-mail to discuss this: o.slot@jea.nl. Again, maybe someone else can help you out here for free (that would obviously be the best option!).

Regards,

Oscar

• 4. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
                .. maybe someone else can help you out here for free (that would obviously be the best option!).

Actually, I would disagree with that.

I usually pick up scripting challenges for the sheer thrill of it, but at some point -- in my case sooner rather than later -- the 'novelty' wears off, and all that's left is details, lots of details, heaps and heaps of details, and they all desperately need to be addressed and fixed before the script is even remotely usable. This is in most cases not a problem, because the poster himself is the scripter and just needed to git going where he got stuck.

In this case, however, the OP admits not being up to writing the basics and adjusting any and all details by himself. As much as I like discussing the finer points of scripting and related (and unrelated) stuff, going into extremely fine detail here in the forum is definitely not interesting for any other readers. So that's best left to private contacts (easy initiated by clicking the name of the poster you want to contact -- and if you never hear from him/her again, their interest may have waned ).

Enter the paid professionals! It's (usually) guaranteed quality, scripts tailored to your wishes, and, not unheard of, with options such as an update for a new InDesign version.

Most important, it's unlikely they get bored halfway the discussion of details and wander off to do something else.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
                  amberfrog Level 1

I would agree. The point for someone who uses Indesign as an "amateur", or at least a part timer (same thing?) is that (a) we need to get up to speed but don't sometimes have time and (b) the world of Indesign scripting seems to be (globally) quite small, so finding a professional can be difficult. Hence, the original post

• 6. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
                    Thomas B. Nielsen Level 3

I sent you a personal message last night - if you are still looking for someone to write you the script, drop me an e-mail.

--

Thomas B. Nielsen

http://www.nobrainer.dk

• 7. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
                      amberfrog Level 1

My work email is peter.stannack@cktl.com

2009/8/5 Thomas B. Nielsen <forums@adobe.com>

I sent you a personal message last night - if you are still looking for

someone to write you the script, drop me an e-mail.

>

--

Thomas B. Nielsen

>

• 8. Re: Batch Placing Word Documents
                        amberfrog Level 1

Hi Thomas

Sincere apologies. I am terribly sorry not to have got back to you. If you

could write the script we would be interested. Please advise of payment,

timescale and payment methods, and I will get back to you immediately

Regards

Peter

2009/8/5 Thomas B. Nielsen <forums@adobe.com>

I sent you a personal message last night - if you are still looking for

someone to write you the script, drop me an e-mail.

>

--

Thomas B. Nielsen

>