4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 1:08 PM by SVLbyler

CS3, Any way to keep image matte fixed when moving matted track?

SVLbyler Level 1

OK, I saved my best for last.  Many of my edits include split screens or other multiple images (e.g., cameo circle).  Let's use a left half-right half example.  I use an image matte consisting of a PS half black-half white .psd file (merging all layers when importing to PR).  Video 1 gets one of the images to be split, Video 2 gets the other (as well as the Track Matte key).  The matte itself is in Video 3 (and the Track Matte key is configured to find it there).

Whenever I need to apply Motion to Video 2, be it up, down, sideways, or scale, the matte moves with it.  I need to apply a complementary Motion to the matte track.  This is most annoying.  I want a #^%@ half-and-half split screen.  I did it this way with 6.5 for years.  At least 6.5 had the good sense to decouple the matte from the matted track.

So:

• What am I missing?  Someone must have thought coupling the tracks was a good idea, even if I can't see it.
      • Is there some way to decouple the two a la 6.5?
      • If not, is there some other way to achieve what I want that avoids this frustration?

Thanks for any insights.

Larry

• 1. Re: CS3, Any way to keep image matte fixed when moving matted track?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the coupling of the Matte has caused some issues for many. Unfortunately, it's working the way that it's now supposed to, and was actually a "feature" for many users.

I'd Nest my Sequences and THEN add the Track Matte Keying to the Nested Sequence.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS3, Any way to keep image matte fixed when moving matted track?
            SVLbyler Level 1

> Unfortunately, it's working the way that it's now supposed to

Another Bruce Hornsby moment ("That's just the way it is").

> I'd Nest my Sequences and THEN add the Track Matte Keying to the Nested Sequence.

I had no idea what a Sequence was, nor what Nesting meant.  So I did the sensible thing and RTFM.  Wow!, my head's still spinning.  It's gonna take some experiments in a sandbox project to get all that straight.  Once I do, your suggestion will no doubt be very useful.

Thanks again, both here and in the other threads.

Larry

• 3. Re: CS3, Any way to keep image matte fixed when moving matted track?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Larry,

Another Bruce Hornsby moment ("That's just the way it is").

Had not thought of Bruce Hornsby, but that's a very good tie-in. You need to get points for that one!

Yes, many struggled with the "new & improved" Track Matte Keying behavior. "Feature" for some, and "anathema" to others. That happens when many file feature requests and have not passed those through the forum folk for comment first. Happens all the time. Sometimes, a new feature will break an old standby. Probably no one in development tested all scenarios, and thought they HAD improved something.

I had no idea what a Sequence was, nor what Nesting meant.  So I did the sensible thing and RTFM.  Wow!, my head's still spinning.  It's gonna take some experiments in a sandbox project to get all that straight.  Once I do, your suggestion will no doubt be very useful.

I probably should have gone into a bit more detail, but the Adobe server was kicking me off with greater frequency than usual, so I was trying to get the general info to you.

See, that manual is more than a paperweight! Actually, I'm a book-guy, so I usually fly with one of my manuals in the briefcase. Regardless of how many times I've read it, there is still an "aha moment," as I either discover something new, or finally find the right application from something that did not make complete sense with previous readings.

Hope that it all works, as it should ["should" referring to how things are now... ]

Wait until you go to Export a Still Frame in CS4. Once more, you'll wish for the "good old days." At least this was mostly fixed with CS4.1. Just be prepared for a "gottcha," when you upgrade and find that things have changed again.

Good luck,

Hunt