19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 8:56 PM by ann2004

Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!

ann2004

Hi. I need to burn a DVD to take out of town tomorrow morning.  I bought and loaded Premier last night and transferred my slide show from Elements into Premier since I found out that Elements won't burn a DVD.  Now I am getting an error message each time I try to burn the DVD in Elements.  I've tried 4 times.  One message said "Sense Code 3oc OO Write Error Write" after 2 hours.  Another said "Device Error Service Code 057202" after 1 hour.  Another  said "The device driver for Lite-on DVDRW sort w 16335 device is preventing machine from entering hibernation.  Please close all aps and try again. If problem persists, you may need to update this driver." (I did have Elements open so I closed it and tired again but I still got an error after trying to burn the CD).  I really need to burn this CD! Help!  ann

• 1. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
          Ed.Macke Level 3

Ann,

The first step would be to try burning to a folder.

Instead of burning to a DVD, select "Burn to Folder". This will create a VIDEO_TS folder underneath the folder you select.

Then use Nero (if you have it) or ImgBurn (a free software program) to burn the DVD. You will want to tell it to use the VIDEO_TS folder. 

When you burn the DVD, make sure you select a slow burn speed (e.g. 2X instead of 8X or 16X) in Nero/ImgBurn, and use reliable media - either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Since you have to have this done by tomorrow, you might want to go with Verbatim since it can usually be found locally while Taiyo Yuden is usually available only over the webs.

This approach will do 2 things:

1) Isolate the problem to either the PRE encoding or the burn process, and

2) If something goes wrong, you just have to re-do the burn step, not the entire encode + burn process.

• 2. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            One message said "Sense Code 3oc OO Write Error Write" after 2 hours.

Sense Code errors are most often a problem with the media being used first, and then a problem with the burner second. What brand of meda are you using? I strongly recommend either Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden media and have never had one issue with either over 1000's of DVD's.

Another said "Device Error Service Code 057202" after 1 hour

This error indicates a potential problem with the drive/burner. That might account for the Sense Code error, above. Have you checked for an update on the burner's firmware from the Lite-on Web site?

Another  said "The device driver for Lite-on DVDRW sort w 16335 device is preventing machine from entering hibernation.  Please close all aps and try again. If problem persists, you may need to update this driver."

This is a new one to me, but could mean that the "Power Save/Hibernation" feature on the computer (or the OS), is coming into play. I would turn these to OFF - no Power Save, no Hibernation. Also, disable any screen savers.

Unless your burner is something like a LiteScribe, it should not require any drivers. Is it a LiteScribe?

I'd also turn OFF all AV, pop-up blocking and spysweeping software, before starting the burn. Make sure that Windows Indexing is OFF for your HDD's. It should not be ON for your burner, but check that too.

I do not do anything with any of my computers, while a burn is in progress - nothing, even though I have multi-core and multi-CPU machines with tons of RAM and great HDD I/O sub-systems. Many argue that they can do all sorts of things, while a burn is in progress. I am very old-school, so I eliminate anything that could take CPU cycles, or other resources from the burning operation. Though my machines are lean and mean, I also shut down most background programs (besides those already mentioned AV, pop-up, etc. ones) and elimnate unnecessary Processes. Check your Task Manager Processes tab to see what all is loading and running on your machine. There will be so very much more, than just what you'll see in Applications. You think that you've shut down everything, but I'll bet that you've got 60+/- Processes loaded and running, that you do not know about. Any could be the fault, and the sum of them all could also be the fault.

Ed's suggestion on doing a Burn to Folder and then doing the physical burn with a program like ImgBurn is a good one, for several reasons. First, all Adobe apps, that can burn to DVD, need 100% control of the burner. Many other applications, like Roxio and Nero, can "hook" the burner to prevent this necessary 100% control. Usually, different error messages are associated with this problem. Second, ImgBurn will allow you to set the burning speed to the absolute minimum. PrE will not, and does a "best guess," based on the speed of the media and the speed of the burner. Slower IS better in all cases. Last, if ImgBurn will get your DVD out the door, then you can come back and troubleshoot the cause. If not, then the statements above would be the first places that I'd start looking.

Now, if you have issues with PrE and Burn to Folder, there are other issues afoot. If you have a problem with ImgBurn doing the physical burn, you have other issues to address.

Tip: the two biggest secrets to great DVD's with ultimate playability are:

1.) media used

2.) burn speed - remember, slow is better

Good luck,

Hunt

PS if you have a brand of media, like Memorex, ImgBurn will tell you what the media really is. Companies like Memorex buy the cheapest and then rebrand it with their logo. Most is junk, though you can hit a good one out of every 25 discs.

• 3. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I saw the "urgency," and only looked at the first part of your reply to the OP. Sorry that I then went on to restate most of what you had already mentioned. I agree with everything that you said.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

I was in such a hurry to get some ideas to you, that I forgot my "Southern" manners - Welcome to the forum and hope that something in Ed's reply will get you going.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                  ann2004 Level 1

Ed and Hunt, you have been very very  kind to take the time to answer me.  I am (probably futile waiting for a 6th burn and then I will implement your suggestions. Oh, and I am not on my own computer.  I have been staying off of it during eachburn).

I had tried the burn to hard drive option earlier and got impatient and stopped it.  So now that I know it is the best route I will definitely try that.  I do think I have Nero on my machine so I will check when the burn is done.   I am Memorex DVD-Rs that I am using...if I am understanding correctly, you are saying that those are the ones that aren't good...only every so often do you find a good one?  ann

• 6. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                    PopaTim Level 1

I have not used Memorex in over a year or so but back then I had found them to be of inferior quality.

Yes they' re one to buy a lot of disc's and have them branded in their name; they do not make their own.

edit - By the way, are you using an external burner? One of your errors reminded me of one I used to get with my 18x LG external.

• 7. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                      Ed.Macke Level 3

Just like a lot of other things, most DVD media is made in Taiwan or China these days with the associated quality control issues.

Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (TY) DVDs are really the last remaining quality media. So using either one will maximize your chances of success.

As a rule, Verbatim or TY DVDs are not going to cause burn problems and will work right the first time. Other media can definitely cause burn errors. And even if the burn succeeds the DVD might not work on all DVD players, or might fail after a few months, etc. etc.

Start your PRE burn to folder, and while its rendering go get some Verbatim DVDs!

• 8. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                        ann2004 Level 1

Hi...I It is not an external DVD drive.  I saved to my hard drive and it took a little over an hour, but it didn't create a Video_ts file.  When I tried Nero anyway, it told me that I wasn't in compliance because there was no Video_ts.tup file and no video_ts.bup file.  Ideas?  I'm wondering if there was something else I could have chosen when I was saving it to my PC that would have created that file?  UGH...

• 9. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                          Ed.Macke Level 3

VIDEO_TS isn't a file - it should be a folder.

Here's the steps that you should have taken (this is for PRE7)

• Click Share, then Disc

Then select the following:

• Burn To: Select "Folder (4.7 GB)"
                          • Folder Name: test_project <or whatever folder name you like>
                          • Folder Location: c:\documents
                          • Presets: NTSC_DolbyDVD

This would create a c:\documents\test_project\video_ts folder, and you'd have several files in that folder. Then you would tell Nero to burn c:\documents\test_project\video_ts.

Is this pretty close to what you did? What is in the folder that was created?

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                            ann2004 Level 1

OH!  I was choosing "PC" to save the file which certainly did save the file and which certainly seems more logical than "DISC" to me since I wasn't saving it to a disc.  OH well...I'm HOPING it works this time and that I can finally burn this DVD.  Its for a big 50th anniversary party and I get on a plane in a few hours with hopefully a DVD in hand.  I spent way too many hours making it and not enough time left trying to burn the DVD.  I appreciate your help.  ann

• 11. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                              Ed.Macke Level 3
                              which certainly seems more logical than "DISC" to me

No argument there. Sometimes PRE isn't always the most intuitive.

Want to burn a DVD to your file system? That's "Share", then "Disc".

Want to create a file for Facebook? That's "Share", "Personal Computer"

Want to create a DVI file? That's "File", "Export".

Once you figure out all the nuances, it's a pretty powerful app, though.

Its for a big 50th anniversary party and I get on a plane in a few hours with hopefully a DVD in hand

Wow! That's adding some pressure! Well, hopefully the encoding will go well, and then you can burn your DVD with Nero or ImgBurn. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• 12. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

I am Memorex DVD-Rs that I am using...if I am understanding correctly, you are saying that those are the ones that aren't good...only every so often do you find a good one?

You are correct. Memorex, and now TDK, so it appears, buy from the cheapest supplier, and then rebrand the discs to their logo.

Since you are under a time crunch, I would go with Verbatim, as they are easier to find. OTOH, you might get lucky and get a good one out of your Memorex batch. Still, the chances are slim of getting anything better than the bottom of the barrel.

Last time that I looked at a batch of Memorex, I had several Ritek and some that had no info, whatsoever. If there is not mfgr. info, these have to be ultra-cheapies, as all are required to put that data on each disc. These must have been manufacutred in some back room in Singapore! Basically, they did not meet the minimum DVD-spec, but Memorex had stamped them with their logo.

Good luck on your Project.

Here's an ARTICLE on what to avoid, regarding burning DVD's. It's written for Adobe Encore, but applies to PrE, as well.

Good luck, and I hope you meet your deadline,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

No argument there. Sometimes PRE isn't always the most intuitive.

I will agree with you. Now, I come from a history with PrPro, and the whole litany of Share/Export still stumps me. When there is a question on these, I have to launch PrE and check it out for myself, just to be sure I am correct. It's about the terminology, but I have yet to really get my tired old head around it all.

Here's another wish of good luck for Ann and the Project,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

What you need to do is Burn to Disc, and then choose Burn to Folder. This is not that intuitive, as Ed points out.

What will happen is that a VIDEO_TS folder will be "burned" (think of this operation as the creation of the necessary DVD-Video structure, but to your HDD), along with the writing of the necessary .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files, inside of that folder. This is what a DVD player (both software DVD player and a set-top player) will need to work with to play. It is this VIDEO_TS folder and the files contained therein, that you will need to physically burn to the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                      ann2004 Level 1

Sweet Success!  11:17pm tonight was the first successful DVD burn!  It is in there playing on my TV right now.  I absolutely would not be on a plane in 6 hours WITH A DVD without you guys help.  Nero was also unsuccesful, but my husband downloaded Image Burn and that worked... Thank you, thank you!  ann

• 16. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We all hope you have a good trip, everyone enjoys the DVD you made... and that your NEXT project goes better!

• 17. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Great news! Travel safely, and I hope that the DVD will be the hit of the event. Please report how it went, upon your safe return.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                            Ed.Macke Level 3

Well, it's too bad PRE gave you such fits to begin with. But the good good news is that you were able to get your DVD burned! Yeah!!!

Just out of curiosity, what was the eventual media you ended up using? I'm wondering how this whole scenario would have played out with different media...

• 19. Re: Error burning DVD for tomorrow! Please help!
                                              ann2004 Level 1

Thank you guys for everything.  I am back from my trip.  My in-laws loved the slide show.  We played the DVD on a laptop with a borrowed projector and it looked great...about 80 years worth of photos so it was neat to watch.  Thanks for saving me!  The kindness of strangers was a blessing to me and to my family. ann