10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 9:53 AM by the_wine_snob

CS4/ audio issue

chuck122441 Level 1

I know the source of audio "crackles" could be from many sources.  But does anyone have experiece with this issue occuring within Premiere?  If so, were are the adjustments that can be made within the program?  The video/audio imported from the camera is clean.  So it is being corrupted somewhere.  There is no capture involved as I'm using .mts files right off the camera into Premiere.  I'm on Vista .   Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: CS4/ audio issue
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

Have you played the files after you copied them from your camera to your computer, but BEFORE you Import them into PrPro? Does careful listening tell you that they are still "clean" to that point?

I would guess that PrPro could be doing something wrong, when basically demuxing and then Conforming the file, but do not recall of others having a similar issue. PrPro is usually very good at delivering clean Audio.

Which Audio-processing applications do you have available to rip the Audio from the Video? I do not believe that the freeware Audacity can handle your source footage, but could be wrong. I also do not know about Soundbooth. Audition will do this from most Video sources, but again, I've never done it with your source material. I would be interested to see what it (or other Audio-processing programs) shows with both the "before" and "after" for these files. It also might point up a pattern to the noise.

While the source of this noise should be your first concern, Audition has some good Effects, most with Presets, that will address similar issues. There is an amazing little program, Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, that does a great job with such problems. I was blown away by what it did on semi-automatic mode vs what I could do in Audition with a lot of work. Something like this might be worth a shot to get the Project out the door, until you can track down the cause.

Good luck, and please report back.

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS4/ audio issue
            chuck122441 Level 1

Hunt,

Following a series of tests, it was determined the audio interference was coming from the computer card and had nothing to do with CS4.  The issue did a very good job of disguising itself in Premiere, but that turned out to be the problem.  Thank you for outlining some steps that got me to a solution.

chuck

• 3. Re: CS4/ audio issue
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

Great news! Glad that you got it sorted, and posted back.

In similar cases, I've been able to isolate issues and have often found them creeping where I least expected them. Sometimes, things do get masked along the way, and our first reaction is to focus on where we first detect them. Sometimes, they've been around for a bit, and we just did not see, nor did we hear them.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                chuck122441 Level 1

Hunt,

? Again thank you for your assistance.? I just put up a new post....this having to do with rendering times. Take a loo,at that one.? I'm sure I'll get a variety of comments because I'm certainly not the only one dealing with this.? Also, I'm still fighting the good fight trying to get some level of picture quality out of my finished renderings.? The update of AME to 4.1 did help.? I'm shooting in 1080p, I've got both "maximum quality" options checked. I'm also rendering in "progressive," trying to get the HD .mts fiiles down to MS .avi SD.? If you can think of any quality issues I might be missing, your advice will be used and appreciated.

Chuck?

• 5. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

I'll certainly look, but will openly admit that for HD material issues, others are far more qualified to help, than am I.

If I read the last part correctly, you are also trying to obtain high quality from HD material, going to SD. If that is correct, then Dan Isaacs has a workflow that gets one ultimate quality. Unfortunately, the one bookmark and even a Google search only gets to the old article and that now leads to the Adobe main forum page. I know that the article was reposted, but I just cannot find it - swore that I had a bookmark to the new one. If I track it down, or someone can post a live link, it would be worth a read.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                    chuck122441 Level 1

Hunt,

? I'll look, I think someone sent that to me.? It really looked complicated.? I have a computer wiz-guy who couldl probably figure it all out and then walk me through it.? I'll check.

ahhhh, wine snob?? I'll be in France in about 4 weeks.? It will be my 22nd visit there.? They've got the wine thing down pretty good.?

chuck

• 7. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Chuck,

Check your Rendering time topic.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

If you do have a live link to that article, I'd greatly appreciate you posting it. I'll make sure to get a good Bookmark this time around for the future.

Now, for Dan's methods. He goes through all of the steps, but goes so far as to publish scripts to automate most of the work. Yes, there are a few steps involved, but the workflow is not as tough to do, as it is to read about. Take is slowly, and step-by-step. Dan's results were better than using PrPro for this.

As to the FR winemaking - I do agree. There are a few regions there, that produce my favorite versions from several varietals. Not that many years ago, my wife came over to white Burgs (Chardonnays), and now finds it hard to appreciate some of her old favs. She still has not developed the taste for those with some years on them, as I have, but then she likes her Cabs a bit younger, and also her Ports. Hey, that just means that if I have some younger versions of these, she's good to go. If they sit in the cellar for a few years, I'm good to go.

Travel safely and wine-n-dine well. I envy you!

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                          chuck122441 Level 1

I love white burgs.? And speaking of Port... My first stop is in Lisbon.? I'll meet my wife there.? She is now is Switzerland.? We'll spend 12 days there, then go to Paris and won't be back until mid Oct. An opportunity to help the French wine industry.?

Thanks for the help,

Chuck

• 10. Re: CS4/ audio issue
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            An opportunity to help the French wine industry.?

That, and the wine industry of Portugal too!

Enjoy,

Hunt