• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Captivate slow loading

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2008 Jul 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could just be me, but Captivate seems slow to load. Also, when moving objects around when I want to position some text etc, there's a noticeable time delay. I'm running other applications as well i.e. Authorware 8, which when I switch to this application it's not slow suggesting its not my machine but captivate. I assume Authorware 8 is a bigger application than Captivate is memory use etc? Or is Captivate quite resource hungary?
Anyway, I'm due a new machine, so hopefully this won't be an issue
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2008 Jul 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It could just be me, but Captivate seems slow to load. Also, when moving
> objects around when I want to position some text etc, there's a noticeable
> time
> delay. I'm running other applications as well i.e. Authorware 8, which
> when I
> switch to this application it's not slow suggesting its not my machine but
> captivate. I assume Authorware 8 is a bigger application than Captivate is
> memory use etc? Or is Captivate quite resource hungary?
> Anyway, I'm due a new machine, so hopefully this won't be an issue
>

Captivate can be kind of resource hungry.

If your Authorware file is paused or running too, then you may possibly get
resource issues - but that depends on your machine too.

If you really are running Authorware *8* then you know something I don't
;-)

Steve

--
http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999

Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
European eLearning Summit - EeLS
Adobe-sponsored eLearning conference.
http://www.elearningsummit.eu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

webacity: I have the same issue. It's not just you. I have found whenever I have two buttons and a couple of rollovers on the same screen, Captivate takes a long time to move from one slide to the next. On the other hand, when I record a simulation that has screen prints and click boxes, it is easier to move from one slide to the next.

But right now, I'm working on a project where the only objects on the slides are image, text caption, and two buttons and Captivate3 takes a long time to move from one slide to the next. It runs very slow!

Btw, I bought my computer this year (2008) and my computer specs are:
Dell Vostro 1500, Intel Core 2 Duo T5270, 1.4GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD display with TrueLife for Vostro 1500
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 DIMM
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
80G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition, SP2

If anyone knows how to make Captivate run faster, I would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Unless I'm mistaken, the beginning of this thread is citing an issue quite different from yours. I read the initial thread as saying that things move in slow motion when making edits in the Captivate application. Yours seems to indicate that Captivate doesn't seem to play back fast enough. Perhaps when you click a button.

One thing to note here is that the default action of a Button or Click Box object is to simply "Continue playing project". So if the slide is set for perhaps 10 seconds and you haven't changed the action from the default, you may be expecting the next slide to immediately appear when clicked. If this is the case, you need to change the action so that instead of simply proceeding play, the action is to immediately go to the next slide.

Hopefully this was helpful... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the welcome, Captiv8r, and thanks for trying to solve my problem. I should explain that I was talking about editing in Captivate like the initial post, not in playback mode. I can see where the confusion lies.

When I move objects and text captions, there is a time delay. And when I am in Edit mode, and I click to slide 11 from slide 12, there is a time delay before I can even start working on the new slide.

Does that explain it better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ahhh, okay gotcha. My bad

Seems I recall that if you have Text Animations or something like that on your slides it can slow things down. You might try using the little icons to hide objects on the slide to see if performance improves.

I suppose this can also happen if your project is just so large it is choking the computer. I'm talking something like 1024x768 or larger and 100+ slides.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources