22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 9:04 AM by the_wine_snob

cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

Mike Bergen-AidJoy

Hi guys- newbie here that needs a little help. 

Check out the attached screenshot of a paused .mov I put together.  What type of things/settings can cause this?  How do I make an exported image sequence play as a smooth succession of sharp and CLEAR images?

Thanks for your insights/time!

Mike

• 1. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
          Mike Bergen-AidJoy Level 1

image didn't seem to come along for the ride so here's another tryPicture-1.jpg

• 2. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us about the following:

1.) the Assets in the Project in detail

2.) the Project's Presets and any details

3.) the export settings used, plus how you "played" the resultant Exported file

There might be something in there that will jump out and you'll then get the answer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

Hey there Hunt

1. Asset details:

.jpg

72dpi

720x479

2. Project presets:

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

...more coming

Mike

• 4. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

...well, the system stopped letting me upload images so to finish answering your questions:

2. Project presets:

see previous post and in the "automate to sequence" dialog clip overlap was set to "0", placement "sequentially",  method "overlay edit"

3. Export settings:

compressor "DV/NTSC 24p"

frame rate "23.976"

pixel aspect ratio "D1/DV NTSC (0.9)

data rate "recompress- maintain data rate"

exported as a quicktime movie (.mov) and played back on QT pro

• 5. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

...any other information needed?

Thanks!

M

• 6. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Sorry that the server is limiting you. I've been having issues lately too, but not those.

Now, to make sure that I am clear, the "ghosting" that you show early on is from a static JPEG. Is that correct? That surprises the heck out of me. I had assumed that it was a freeze frame from video, but your reply about Assets suggests that it's from a JPEG. Just want to make sure that I've not had too much Pinot Noir (a lovely little Mercury '04, BTW).

Thanks for posting the answers, and sorry that I need clarification.

Good job,

Hunt

• 7. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

hehehe- you sound like my kind of guy Hunt!

Yes, the image sequence is comprised of static jpegs- originally captured by a Nikon D3 at a rate of 4 fps (thus the video transition default duration of 24 and the still image default duration of 6 to yield the real-time sequence)

• 8. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK. JPEG image sequence.

Now, what is Frame Blend set to? That might well be the cause and the cure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          JPEG image sequence.

By this, I mean that you Imported the stills as a Numbered Sequence, right?

Hunt

• 10. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

I imported a folder containing numbered stills then clicked the automate to sequence button.

I found "frame blend" under <clip> <video options> but i can't get it to be selectable.  i.e. it's always grey and I can't click on it.

ideas?

• 11. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I found "frame blend" under <clip> <video options> but i can't get it to be selectable.  i.e. it's always grey and I can't click on it.

Oops, my mistake. I thought that PrPro treated Numbered Stills like a Video Clip. You are correct, Frame Blend is greyed out. My memory is faulty.

OK, let me do some more thinking here. Maybe I'll get something correct next time!

Sorry,

Hunt

• 12. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

No worries Hunt- I appreciate your persistence!

Mike

• 13. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  ideas?

OK, let's try this:

Your Clip Duration is 24 Frames (01 sec.) and your Transition is what, 25 Frames? Do a test with your Transitions shortened by a couple of Frames. If there is a difference, it should show up with say a 22 Frame Transition. What could be happening is a Frame at the Head of each Clip and the Tail of the preceeding Clip is being repeated to account for the Transition taking up more than one half of the Duration, as you've got a Transition on each end of each Clip.

Does this Export better?

You cannot get tigher than the Frame-level, so you will probably have to live with 1/24th sec. untouched Frame in the middle of each Clip?image. If you can smooth things out on the Export, see if you can live with that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. hmmmm..

Sorry Hunt but you're dealing with a noob here.  I don't see anything set to 25 frames.  Where might this transitions setting that you're talking about be located?

I appreciate your patience.

Mike

• 15. Re: hmmmm..
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Sorry to get ahead of you there.

Going back to your earlier comments on the Duration of your stills, and also you Transitions. With a Clip and a Transition, you need to have the Frames available for that Transition. If one does not have enough Video (or still, because of the Duration), then PrPro will add still Frames matching the last Frame of the Clip.

Give me a moment, and I'll do a graphic to depict this.

Hunt

• 16. Re: hmmmm..
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an illustration of what might be happening. This is shown as it would appear on separate Video Tracks, in A-B Roll editing, as an example.

If the Duration of a set of Clips is shorter than the Duration of a Transition, then PrPro will have to "create" frames to allow for the Handles of the Transition(s).

Handles_04.jpg

If your Transitions are a full one sec. and your FPS = 24, the Transitions will take up 12 Frames per Clip. As each Clip has half of two Transitions, the Clip needs to be slightly longer than the 2 halves of the Transitions. Since you cannot edit to less than a single Frame, the Clips need to be at least 24 Frames and I'd look at 25 Frames long, or PrPro will create extra Frames from the first and the last Frames in the Clip - in your case the still frames that are repeated.

Hope that this helps and also cures your problem,

Hunt

• 17. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?

I think I understand the concept of what you're saying- I'm just at a loss as to where to adjust the transitions.  The only thing I see is the "video transition default duration" which is set to 24- four times the "still image default transition" of 6 which gives me 4 frames per second which is what I originally shot the sequence at...  Is there something wrong here?

.....ooooh neat, a graphic.  gimmie a second to see what you just posted. 

• 18. Re: hmmmm..

Ok- read your post.

Wouldn't making the clips 24 frames or more long make each image appear for a second or longer?  I need it to run at four images per second..

• 19. Re: cs3- Help with Image sequence *ghosting* ?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Duration of a Transition can be changed, rather like a Clip's Duration. You Click-drag to shorten, or lengthen it.

Try this on a small protion of your Timeline. Use Alt-[ and Alt-] the WAB (Work Area Bar), and then Export that section, choosing WAB. See what this does and please report back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: hmmmm..
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The "trick" is to get the Duration of the Transitions to be just below the Duration of the Clip (with one half Transition on both ends) to be 100% equal, or one Frame more. That is where I am going with this. Remember, it is now, but a test. If we can get your Clips + Transitions smooth, we can then work out which we alter, the Clips, or the Transitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I had similar with Button Transitions in Encore. I thought I had cut it to to the min. but had to add one Frame per Transition to get it smooth.

• 21. Re: hmmmm..

ok- I see where you're going with this.  I'll try it tomorrow when I have some time (have some work work I have to get done tonight.)

Thanks Hunt- have a good night

M

• 22. Re: hmmmm..
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    I'll try it tomorrow when I have some time (have some work work I have to get done tonight.)

Hey, you can't let work work come between you and your video!

Good luck, and hope that the tests prove worth the effort. I'd do it so that each of your Clips has one more frame that the combined Duration of the two Dissolve-halves (the full Duration of the Transitions used). If that works, then we can just eliminate that one extra frame to make everything percisely the same. I'm only suggesting changing the Duration of a few Clips to the Duration of the Transition +1, as it will be easier to see. Render that area with the WAB and study. Then, try it with precisely the Duration of the Transition (can be slightly more critical work there, but with the Timeline zoomed way in, you should be able to do it with the Info Panel open and right beside you).

Let me know if this works,

Hunt