5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 7:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Elements keeps conforming audio over and over

Widget King Level 2

Hello,

I'm working with Premier Elements 7. I really like the program, but one thing is really bugging me. In my current project every five minutes or so, Elements starts to conform the audio again. Not for the entire project, but for a few specific files. What's even worse, is that sometimes it gets mixed up and attaches the wrong audio to the video. To correct that I need to go and find that video file in the organiser, open it up, allow Elements to conform the audio back to its original state, and then do it all over again five minutes later.

Has anyone had this problem before?

• 1. Re: Elements keeps conforming audio over and over
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us about the Assets (your Video files) in complete detail. The Audio aspects (assuming that these are muxed files) will likely be important, as well.

Next, please tell us about your system, especially your HDD (I/O sub-system).

Last, tell us about the location of your Scratch Disks on your system.

Conforming problems most often happen (once per session), when one has the Assets and Project on an external HDD and PrE (and PrPro) cannot find the .CFA (conformed Audio files) and the .PEK (Waveform Display) files. Again, this is usually once per session.

Why PrE is loosing track of the .CFA files might be in the answers to the above questions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements keeps conforming audio over and over
            Widget King Level 2

My Video files are AVCHD (.MTS files), according to Premier Elements the audio is 48000Hz-compressed-Stereo.

My harddrive is a 285 gig SARTA.

And the scratch disks are in the same location as the project (C drive).

• 3. Re: Elements keeps conforming audio over and over
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, things look like they should work.

Now, I am assuming that your Project is set up for AVCHD w/ stereo and not DD 5.1 SS. Is that correct? I am also assuming that you have not Moved, or Deleted and files within your Project's folder structure. Is that correct?

I believe that your original Audio source file will be MPEG (do not use AVCHD, so someone will need to correct me, if I am wrong), so it will be Conformed to PCM/WAV at the same 48KHz 16-bit. This should happen only once, unless the .CFA (and the .PEK) files are removed. With the Scratch Disks located in the Project's folder structure, they should not be. Do not Move, or Delete any .CFA's, or .PEK's, until the Project is finished, or they WILL be regenerated each time you Open that Project. These files should be located within your Project's folder structure in the [Project Name].MACC folder and should have the Clip name and then both a .CFA and a .PEK extension. One for each Clip. [The .PEK file is the Waveform Display file.]

Now, your Project file is a .PREL, which is an XML database file. It is basically a series of links to the Assets in your Project, with instructions on what is done to those Assets. The physical Assets (the files that represent them) are not touched, only referenced. The same for those .CFA and .PEK files. They are linked in the .PREL file.

In your case, it seems that those links are being broken in some way. If PrE cannot find those .CFA's and .PEK's, they will be regenerated. What is breaking those links is the mystery. It could be corruption of your .PREL. It happens, but rarely. Is anything else "wonky" with your Project? Is PrE having any problem finding any of your Assets?

Good luck, and let us know the answers to these new questions, please,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements keeps conforming audio over and over
                Widget King Level 2

Okay, I think I may have worked out the problem. I tried playing some of the files that Premier Elements kept conforming in a AVCHD player, and there is definitely something strange going on. I think the files must have become corrupted. I have backups stored on an external hard drive. How do you recommend I swap the files?

• 5. Re: Elements keeps conforming audio over and over
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If the files have the same name. then I would first Move over the files that are linked (the possibly corrupted ones) for safe-keeping, and then replace them with the archived ones. Open up your Project and see how things go.

Good luck,

Hunt