19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 1:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro 2 Newbie

royallark Level 1

Hi,

Sorry for this really basic question but I've just started using Premiere Pro 2.

Is there any keyboard shortcut to automatically snap the work area bar to the part of the video you are working on? If so is it the same on mac and pc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The manual and help file have a function. Look on page 171 of the manual. It is clearly spelled out.

I reserve the right to call anyone a noob, especially if you haven't read the friendly manual.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
            royallark Level 1

Thanks but I never got a manual, I just bought the media.

I have looked at the keyboard shortcuts in the help file and I can't see one that does what I need.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Thanks but I never got a manual, I just bought the media.

Have you heard of the F1 button? Or Google, or the Adobe site?

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would not want to face PrPro 2.0 without that manual. Besides being filled with all sorts of useful info, it's really kind of a fun read.

There are .PDF versions of it on the Web and probably on your installation discs.

Harm is right about the other possible resources, and they should be the next "go-to" right after the manual.

In your case, F1>Work Area Bar will yield Alt+[ and Alt+], as the answers.

I know that I am cheating for you a bit, but I do think that you will have learned the lesson on F1 in the future, or I hope so.

Now, I would definitely get the manual. Most of the good books on PrPro 2.0 (ought to be discounted now, BTW) usually start a bit later on in the learning curve. Even if you have to take that .PDF to Kinko's, or other printer, and have them print it up for you, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Now, even with the manual, you will see "Refer to Help Files" quite often, so F1 will be your sidekick in the learning process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  If so is it the same on mac and pc?

2.0 wasn't available for the Mac, which leads me to wonder if we have all relevant and accurate information.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Question from one who knows nothing about a Mac: would it be possible to run PrPro 2.0 on a Mac with Bootcamp, or Parallels or similar?

I know that from Pr 6.5, until PrPro CS3, there was not a Mac-ported version, but didn't some folk run in a "virtual Windows" setup of some sort?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>never got a manual, I just bought the media

I'm sure it will take some searching, for a program 2 versions old, but Adobe is usually good about having the user guide on their site as a PDF... which is also on the CD/DVD you bought

Also go to the Premiere Pro Wiki http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page and read... but, do be aware that some of the newer CS4 information may not work for your version

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                        royallark Level 1

Yeah sorry,

I didn't explain my question very well plus I am using Premiere Pro CS3 on a Mac at home on and using both version 2 and 3 on a couple of different PC's in work.

What I should of said is when I import a video to the timeline then razor it into two parts, If I want the work area bar to snap to just the second half is there a way of me selecting the second part then doing either a keyboard shortcut or function from the menu bar to do it automatically.

All I am doing in Premiere is just chopping up lots of large video's into smaller chunks and exporting them so although it only takes a few seconds just to drag the work area bar to either side myself, because I'm doing so many a shortcut would save me a lot of time.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not aware of any way to do this as requested.  Though you can put the CTI at the desired location and hit the [ and ] keys to set WAB start and end.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

With two keyboard shortcuts, you should be able to do as you wish.

Set CTI and Ctrl+k (Razor), then Alt+[ to set WAB. Move CTI to the next "cut," and repeat, substituting ] for the previous [. Export.

Now, how keyboard shortcuts (default) compare between CS3 (Mac & PC) and PrPro 2.0 and will need to be verified. However, you should be able to tweak them for customization, so you don't go crazy trying to remember which machine, and which version you're on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Alt+[ to set WAB.

Oops.  My goof.  Bill's right abuot that shortcut.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Of course it might well have changed with CS3, and/or CS4. As the OP mentioned PrPro 2.0, that was where I went for the clarification. Now that other, newer versions figure into the mix, I tried to hedge my bets by mentioning keyboard customization. Also, I have no clue how things might differ on a Mac (like the lack of Transitions and Effects in CS4?). Heck, who knows, Atl+[ might be hard-coded into a Mac to "Erase the HDD."

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I happen to still have the 2.0 manual and as stated this is clearly laid out on page 171 and works exactly the same as in CS3 and CS4.

Maybe dyslexia was the OP's main hurdle, or just laziness....

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well laziness was MY main hurdle. The manual was upstairs, so I just did F1 (as you also suggested). I feel no need to check on page 171, as I trust you competely. Now, when he/she gets to their Mac, all bets are off on what the keystrokes will be.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                      royallark Level 1

Thanks for that, thats exactly what I needed to know.

Just one more question, sorry!

When I do the second cut and do the Alt + ] the end of the work area bar jumps to a frame after the blue play head thing.

When I zoom right in I've noticed that for some reason there is the a blue line a frame long after the play head.

Is there any way I can get rid of that?

Thanks

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

No.  That "blue bar" covers the frame being viewed.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Just hit the (left Cursor key) to step back to the last frame of your Razored Clip, before you hit Alt+]. One more keystroke, but at least an easy one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                            royallark Level 1

Cheers guys,

That will help me loads.

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro 2 Newbie
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Jim points out, when you Razor the Clip, the view goes to Frame #1 of the next (the "next" is the one you just created). That is what the blue bar is telling you. The same thing happens with the Effects Control Panel, when adding Keyframes. If you hit PageUp to get to the end of a Clip, you will actually be at Frame #1 of the next Clip and must step back with the Left Cursor key to get to the last frame of your Clip. Otherwise, you'll add a Keyframe to the first Frame of the next Clip!

Good luck,

Hunt