4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 3:11 AM by Barbara Pope

Why my animated gifs won't display on certain mobile phones

Barbara Pope

I have been creating animated gifs in Fireworks for use on a Bluetooth server. 

Once created I save as a png and then as an animated gif file.

I then upload the animated gif to the server to be transmitted to mobile phones.

For some reason certain gifs display and others don't.  I've looked at file size etc but cannot understand why the file won't display.

My collegue has a Nokia mobile and I recently sent two gif files.  One displayed and the other didn't.

They were both similar in size etc and both had been created and saved in the same way.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why certain animated gif files won't display.

I thought it might be the phone yet certain files have successfully been displayed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Why my animated gifs won't display on certain mobile phones
          pixlor Level 4

Do you "Save As" or do you "Export" to the .gif format. The distinction is important.

"Saving" files saves with propreitary Fireworks information in the header (including .gif files for some versions). Any file intended for the Web or other use should be "exported."

• 2. Re: Why my animated gifs won't display on certain mobile phones
            Barbara Pope Level 1

It worked!

I've exported all my previously saved gif animations and uploaded them to the Bluetooth server and everyone was received by all the different mobile phones.

Thanks for that

• 3. Re: Why my animated gifs won't display on certain mobile phones
              pixlor Level 4

You're welcome!

Once you have your export parameters set, saving your source Fireworks file will save the export parameters with the FW document. After that, you can just use File> Export. I always go through File > Image Preview, myself, since I may decide to output an image with different parameters.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why my animated gifs won't display on certain mobile phones
                Barbara Pope Level 1

Hi,

I managed to sort out the issue with exporting my files.

After your advice I exported all my gif animations and they worked perfectly however, one day when I was working my animations I exported and had problems viewing some of my files.

As you advised, I went to image preview and checked all the different options for exporting and found that it had defaulted back to settings that weren't suitable for my gif animations.  I just assumed that as I had been exporting in the same manner with all my files that it would just default to those settings everytime I used Fireworks.

Now, I go to image preview to check all the settings are correct for my gifs and I haven't had a problem since.

So, many thanks for that, I'm back on track again.

Also, as you appear to be a wealth of technical ability   I just wondered whether you knew what program I would use to create and ebrochure.

My company has just launched a new website and one of the staff has produced an ebrochure with Microsoft Publisher.  Needless to say it not very slick

Do you what program I could use to put one together?  Any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Barbara