3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 1:05 PM by alice_data

Flex Charting

alice_data Level 1
      Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has tried to extract some information from the database and make attempts of plotting it using Flex Charting. My code is in the following, and the database output brings back all the results I desired, but when I run the script, I was given the following error:

ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property theta not found on mx.rpc.http.mxml.HTTPService and there is no default value. at mx.charts.chartClasses::Series/cacheDefaultValues()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\ datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\Series.as:990]
      at mx.charts.series::LineSeries/updateData()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavisual isation\src\mx\charts\series\LineSeries.as:1041]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::Series/validateData()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavi sualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\Series.as:1509]
      at mx.charts.series::LineSeries/describeData()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavisu alisation\src\mx\charts\series\LineSeries.as:1174]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::DataTransform/describeData()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects \datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\DataTransform.as:230]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::AxisBase/describeData()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\data visualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\AxisBase.as:177]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::NumericAxis/get dataDescriptions()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\c hartClasses\NumericAxis.as:1033]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::NumericAxis/autoGenerate()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\d atavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\NumericAxis.as:1050]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::NumericAxis/updateCache()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\da tavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\NumericAxis.as:761]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::NumericAxis/update()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavis ualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\NumericAxis.as:884]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::NumericAxis/getLabelEstimate()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projec ts\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\NumericAxis.as:645]
      at mx.charts::AxisRenderer/measureLabels()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavisualis ation\src\mx\charts\AxisRenderer.as:1740]
      at mx.charts::AxisRenderer/calcRotationAndSpacing()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\dat avisualisation\src\mx\charts\AxisRenderer.as:1459]
      at mx.charts::AxisRenderer/adjustGutters()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavisualis ation\src\mx\charts\AxisRenderer.as:1326]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::CartesianChart/updateAxisLayout()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\pro jects\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\CartesianChart.as:1873]
      at mx.charts.chartClasses::CartesianChart/updateDisplayList()[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\pr ojects\datavisualisation\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\CartesianChart.as:1355]
      at mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src \mx\core\UIComponent.as:6214]
      at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framewo rk\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:602]
      at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\frame work\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:657]
      at Function/ http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
      at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\sr c\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8460]
      at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src \mx\core\UIComponent.as:8403]

Could anyone please give me a clue on what mistake I have made here?
      Thanks in advance.

Alice
        • 1. Re: Flex Charting
          Level 7
          What is the result format you're setting on your HTTPService request?

"alice_data" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6novb$gpl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am wondering if anyone has tried to extract some information from the
          > database and make attempts of plotting it using Flex Charting. My code is
          > in
          > the following, and the database output brings back all the results I
          > desired,
          > but when I run the script, I was given the following error:
          >
          > ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property theta not found on
          > mx.rpc.http.mxml.HTTPService and there is no default value.

This suggests that your HTTPService result is coming back in a format where
          you can't just get the properties off of it. You may need to set the result
          format to e4x, and since it is rss you may need to use one or more
          namespaces.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Flex Charting
            Developer504 Level 1
            I'm not sure what the error means exactly, looks like you are connecting to your HTTPService right, but we are doing this without any problems, I'll upload a simplified example later today when I get a chance.
            • 3. Flex Charting
              alice_data Level 1
              What is interesting is that if I take out the entire section after <mx:LineChart id="linechart" height="100%" width="90%" paddingLeft="5" paddingRight="5" showDataTips="true" dataProvider="{rssRequest}"> until </mx:LineChart>, my data is brought back correctly.

Therefore, I am assuming that my problem is not a HTTPService problem coming from my PHP code.

To answer Amy's question, all my PHP returns stuff in XML format, and that is why I call it RSS.
              To be clearer on what I am trying to do here, I think I wanted to combine data access and flex charting together by calling the data have the results be printed in Flex. Is there a good tutorial where I can read about this?

Alice