16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 10:32 AM by nt22

Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?

neilt22

I have a video file that I want to add to my project.  When I bring it in the whole video is not there.  Is there a limit on the size of the video file?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
          Ed.Macke Level 3

I've added a approx. 26GB (2-hour) DV-AVI file and it worked. I wouldn't recommend it but it did work.

That was with a dual-core, 1GB, WinXP SP2 box and PRE4.

• 2. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
            neilt22 Level 1

The size of the file is 282,240 kb and when I drag it in to edit it the whole video is not there.  Is there a setting or something I need to do, to get the whole video into my project?

• 3. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us more details on the Video file that you are Importing. This ARTICLE will tell you how to get all of the necessary info.

Then, tell us more about your system, especially the HDD's and how they are formatted. If they are FAT-32, that is very likely the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                neilt22 Level 1

Oh boy, I am not that techie, so some of the stuff you are talking about I don't understand.

When I look at properties is is a dvd file.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

Hunt is asking about the configuration of your hard drives... do you have 1 or 2? Are they internal or external? If external, how are they hooked up (USB, Firewire, eSATA)? Do you have any configured as RAID (probably not).

As far as FAT32, Windows drives can be formatted either with FAT32 or NTFS. You can see which by opening Explorer (not Internet Explorer, just regular Explorer). Right-click on the drive where your video is stored (e.g. C:\), and select Properties. You'll see a label that says "File System".

The issue is that FAT32 has a limit as to how large a single file can be (as well as limits on how large a partition can be).

What we're wondering is whether your file was limited to a specific size due to the limitations of how your hard drive is formatted (as opposed to any PRE limitations).

If your hard drive is FAT32, you'll probably need to convert to NTFS - a fairly simple process.

• 6. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                    neilt22 Level 1

I am using an internal drive and the file system is NTFS.

• 7. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                      Ed.Macke Level 3

Well that's not it, then.

Do you know for sure that the file you're trying to import is complete?

I don't know of anything in PRE that would cause a file to be cut off. So I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the file itself.

How did you produce the file? Did you capture it from somewhere? Was it just copied off a camcorder? The more details the better.

• 8. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                        neilt22 Level 1

I recorded the file onto a dvd from a vhs tape.  When I watch the dvd all of the footage is there.

• 9. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                          Ed.Macke Level 3

I'm not going to be much help, I'm afraid. I've never edited DVD files directly, so I don't know what issues might be associated with that.

Do you still have the original VHS tape? I think the usual advice, and I'm sure others will chime in, would be to capture the tape as DV-AVI.

DV-AVI is the file format preferred by video editors everywhere.

• 10. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                            neilt22 Level 1

I will give that a try if I can figure out have to save it in that format.

I am sure there is away to bring it in, in the dvd format, just looking for that little trick to make it happen. 

• 11. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, the problem is that it's a DVD file -- in particular, it's apparently a DVD file from one of those devices that turns video input into DVDs. Those files often cause problems like this for video editors.

The solution is to convert the VOBs (video files) to DV-AVIs using Prizm video converter, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 12. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the system info, and thanks to Ed for clarifying. Sorry that I was not more clear.

As Ed says, "that isn't it," but it was worth a shot.

Now, however, we do know the cause. You have a DVD. As the .VOB files in a DVD-Video can ONLY be ~1GB in size, it is most likely that you only got part of the total tape in the .VOB that you ripped (the term for getting to the MPEG-2 file inside of a .VOB). It is very likely that the rest of the tape is on other .VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder. This ARTICLE will give you more background into DVD-Videos and .VOB files.

As Steve (and that article) points out, many devices that burn DVD's can cause problems. Most are because they create a menuing system that is not DVD-spec. This can really mess up an editing program, when trying to work for those DVD-Videos.

There are, however, freeware programs that will both rip the MPEG-2 AV file from the .VOB's and will also "stitch" them together into one MPEG-2 file. I believe that the FAQ has the step-by-step process, including suggestions for other software to use. I'll post a link, when I have a second to go and search for it. [Edit] Steve posted the link to the FAQ in this thread already.

That said, If you have the VHS tape, the best method for getting that analog material into an editing program, like PrE, is to do an A-D Capture from the tape and bypass the DVD all together. It will be easier to edit, there will be no "stitching" of the VOB's and you also will have much higher quality, than from the heavily compressed MPEG-2 inside the VOB's. For that, one only needs the VHS deck, that you already have (I have a Panasonic VHS - DVD unit, but only use the DVD portion to archive from the VHS tapes - not to edit from), and an A-D bridge, like the Grass Valley/Canopus AD-110. It comes with software to do the Capture and you just save that Captured file as a DV-AVI Type II w/48KHz 16-bit Audio. That is the perfect format to edit in PrE.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added [Edit]

• 13. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

You're ahead of me. I was headed over to FAQ to get this for the OP, but see that you've already posted it. I also see that the name on the FAQ article has changed, and I would have had to poke around a bit. Great job, and great job rewriting, consolidating and updating the FAQ articles!

I did see that we need a "cleanup on aisle 5," as there are a couple of posts in the FAQ sub-forum, that belong out here. A MOD's job is never done...

Thanks,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's the FAQ on combining .VOB files.

Here's the FAQ on A-D Capture.

Hope that some of this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                                      neilt22 Level 1

Thanks guys for your help.  I will give your ideas a try.

• 16. Re: Is there a size limit to the file I can bring in?
                                        nt22

Need some more help.  I downloaded the prism vidoe converter and followed your instructions with the setting for encoder options and edit output.

encorder option is set at DV encoder NTSC (direct show)

edit output is set at 720 x 480 and framerate is 29.97

Is this correct?

When I bring in the new file, Premiere Elements gives me an error message and shuts down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.