4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 7:32 AM by zontaluma

How to change the registration point in Catalyst?

zontaluma Level 1

All-

Is it possible to chagne the registration point of an object in FC?  I have a button where I'd like the over state  to animate from the center  instead of from the left.

Cheers,

`z

• 1. Re: How to change the registration point in Catalyst?
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

I am curious what type of animation you are doing? The Rotate effect does animate from the center. Resize animates from the upper left, but can be made to look like it is from the center if you use a Move effect in parallel.

You may also look at editing the bounds of your component. The upper left of the bounds is the origin of the object. To do this:

1. Double click to edit a component

2. Go to the menu Modify > Auto Size Component Bounds (name may be slightly different in your build)

3. Editable bounds will now be displayed around your content

4. Drag the corners around to adjust the bounds.

Ty

• 2. Re: How to change the registration point in Catalyst?
            zontaluma Level 1

I have a simple rectangle that is 60 x 60 which is inside a button component.  The size of the box is 60 x 60 in the up state.  What I'd liike is for the box to resize itself to 100 x 100 when it's in the over state and back to 60 x 60  in the up state.  The resize works only the resize happens from the upper left instead of the center.  Let me know if you need further clairification.

Cheers,

`z

• 3. Re: How to change the registration point in Catalyst?
              Tvoliter Adobe Employee

I have attached an example fxp file of a button that grows from the center on rollover.

Here is how I made it:

1. Draw 60 x 60 rect

2. Select rect, right click, and choose Convert to component > Button

3. Double click new button to edit in

4. Click the "over" state in the States panel

5. Choose menu Modify > Auto size component bounds. Uncheck the option

Now the components bounds are displayed

6. Select the rect in the "over" state and resize it to 100 x 100 by dragging in the corner (in beta 2 you will be able to hold down a modifier to resize from center)

7. Drag the rect to recenter it within the bounds

Now on to the animation

8. Open the timelines panel

9. select the "up > over" transition. You will see a "Move" and "Resize" action automatically generated because Catalyst recognizes the object has moved and resized in those states.

10. Click smooth

11. select the "over > up" transition.

10. Click smooth

Run your project

One tip: sometimes changing the size of a button on rollover can cause problems because the buttons hit area is moving (since you are animating it) so you can sometimes get a rollout right after a rollover even when the mouse is not moving. This can cause flashing. To avoid this problem, draw a rect that is as large as the largest state in the button and make it transparent. This will act as your mouse hit area.

Ty

• 4. Re: How to change the registration point in Catalyst?
                zontaluma Level 1

Hey, Ty.

Just got back.  Thanks for the reply.  I will look into this option this week.  Will let you know if I have any problems.

Cheers,

`z