8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 1:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing

sabinefroni

hi,

sorry I am a premiere elements 7 newbie.

I started my project on my laptop but unfortunately it hadn´t enough space and was not aible to work with the data flow. i bought a desktop and made the mistake that I only copied the "premiere elements project" the document..........

then I organised the new pc and so on...opened the project but all my files (audio, pictures and videos) were missing.

can someone help me what to do? I don´t want to do it again...........

please note that I saved the documents (songs, pictures and avi) from different places on the laptop.

thank you so much

sabine from germany

• 1. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
          Kodebuster Level 3

Assuming you still have the original Assets (audio, pictures and videos files) on the Laptop, just create a Folder on your new System, and copy these files to that Folder.

When you Open the Project, a Dialog Box will appear stating that a specific file is missing, just navigate to the Folder, select the file. and PE will then re-link all of your Assets.

(You should only have to do this once)...

• 2. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
            sabinefroni Level 1

hey great.

just to be on the safe side:

the beginning is clear. i put all the used files - everything - in the folder. than transfer this folder to the desktop, answer the box (it says "where is your file") and then I choose ONLY 1 file? means one movie or one picture? thats enough and correctly understood??

hopefully!!!!!!! I will try it immediately

thanks in advance

• 3. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
              Kodebuster Level 3

Yes move the files to your desktop, keeping all file names the same,

When the Project Opens, at the top of the Dialog Box will be the (one) File Name it is trying to locate.

Navigate to this File and Select it.

Assuming all the Files you moved were part of this Project, PE should then be able to locate them all.

(If it happens to ask for another File, just continue this process till done).

PE will continue to look in this folder on any subsequent Opens performed for this Project, so you should only have to do it once...

• 4. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
                sabinefroni Level 1

I tried..

I had to click all the files, but it didnt open one in the project. not even one

• 5. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sabine,

The Project file (.PREL) is just an XML database and contains none of the media, only links to where that media was, when it was Imported into PrE, plus instructions on what you did, as you edited in PrE.

Now, when one moves either a Project, or the media (your Assets) is to break those links. PrE goes looking, per the Path in the .PREL file. Unless the files are in that exact Path, it will throw up an error message, basicly saying, "help, I canno find these files." One has several choices at that point. One is to help PrE find the files, where they are now. Depending on the folder structure, if you help it find the first one that it's asking for, it'll automaticlaly link to all others in that folder, that it needs. If it then asks for another file, the chances are great that that file will be, maybe in a sub-folder. After that one is linked, it'll gather any that it needs in that sub-folder. This is repeated until all Assets have been found and linked. It could be find the first and all get linked or search around the sub-folders. This part just depends on the folder structure.

Another choice is to choose Media Off-line. What this does is allow one to edit with any Assets that are found, and just show all others as Off-line. Here comes a big warning. If, after choosing Media Off-line (actual syntax for all unfound media would be "Off-line All."), you chose to Save, and your original Project file is overwritten, you will now have to manually locate all Assets to get them relinked. If I were going to do any off-line editing, I'd always do a Save_As, or a Save_As_a_Copy and NOT a Save. As mentioned, if you do a Save, then you have to go in and manually relink all Assest, unlike the scenario in the second paragraph.

Now, if you media is shown as off-line and you do not have an original copy of your .PREL Project file, you'll need to go to the Project Panel. Your Assest will have a different icon, than before and the media will show as off-line. Rt-click on each one and choose Relink Media. Now, navigate to the new locations for that file and choose it to relink. I believe that this is the same in PrE, but that is the list of steps for PrPro. One must do this for each Asset, that you wish to bring back online. This method does take a lot of work, especially for large Projects with lots of Assets.

As Kodebuster says, copying over your Assets entire folder structure to the second machine and then helping PrE find the first file (and any additionals that are in sub-folders) is the best way to do this.

Again, remember that the .PREL file contains no media, just links to where PrE last saw those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
                    Kodebuster Level 3

To confirm we are in sync, when you Open your Project, what exactly happens ???

If PE can't find your Assets/Files, first thing you should see is PE asking for it's location.

For example, if the file in question is a photo named "Pic01.jpg", at the top of the Dialog Box will appear: "Where is the file named Pic01.jpg ???".

Assuming you point it to the correct file, things should work.

Is this what you see on Opening the Project (or something else) ???

Are you confident that you moved both the Project and Assets over to the new System correctly ???

• 7. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
                      sabinefroni Level 1

oh guys youre so great! it worked, it worked.

I opened the first picture and than ignored the others "überspringen" it

said and afterwards there were the videos. the only stuff that were missing

were the music files but thats no problem I can reload them. the best thing

is that I got my videos..

THANK YOU

• 8. Re: Help! Moved a project from laptop to desktop files are missing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! Glad that you got your Project back.

As for the music files, you should be able to re-Link those easily in the Project Panel. [It's easy as Rt-clicking and choosing Re-link Media, in PrPro, and would assume it's the same, or similar, in PrE.]

Good luck,

Hunt