4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 2:00 PM by Newsgroup_User

Bitmap Performance Problem

235media
      Working with Bitmap 2285 x 258 px and Stage 1024 x 768 px

Just doing a simple Animation results in a defective performance. A wave moves up and down. Somebody told me: The "wave" is called "tearing" and it happens because Director is not "synced to the vertical retrace signal of your monitor". As far as I know, there is no way to vertically sync Director.

Is there any solution?
        • 1. Re: Bitmap Performance Problem
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant
          Director has a frame rate. Its probably possible to set your movie's frame rate to be the same as the sync rate of your screen. This might help somewhat. You would still have to ensure that your, and your user's, video card is up to the task that you are giving it. If the video card can't keep up, then the frame rate will falter.

Its important to remember that this is not a Director problem, but a design problem. You need to design within the performance parameters of the hardware that you expect your end users to have. It doesn't do anyone any good to design a project that can only be played back on one computer.
          • 2. Re: Bitmap Performance Problem
            235media Level 1
            Well, I have got a Dispaly with 60 Hz and a Beamer (the final display destination) with 60 Hz and my frame rate is 60 fps. Furthermore I have got a 32 Bit color depth, Geforce 8600 GT 256 MB. My PC work station is the one and only final destination.

So what? The hardware should be fine. Or have I missed something?
            • 3. Re: Bitmap Performance Problem
              Level 7
              235media wrote:
              > Well, I have got a Dispaly with 60 Hz and a Beamer (the final display
              > destination) with 60 Hz and my frame rate is 60 fps. Furthermore I
              > have got a 32 Bit color depth, Geforce 8600 GT 256 MB. My PC work
              > station is the one and only final destination.
              >
              > So what? The hardware should be fine. Or have I missed something?

You could try setting the movie rate to a factor of 60fps, like 30fps or
              20fps.

When you say "simple animation", do you mean through Lingo or animating it
              in the score? You might get better performance using copyPixels to copy only
              the visible part of the image to the stage.

Andrew

• 4. Re: Bitmap Performance Problem
                Level 7
                For the time being I would recommend you to consider doing this "simple
                animation" in 3D asset. Using Shockwave 3D member you can take advantage
                of hardware acceleration. You can animate bitmaps as overlays, etc.

Then, because it's real OpenGL or DirectX - no bloody tearing any more !

At the beginning it looks tedious, but as you get familiar with 3DPI,
                you will find this pretty easy. You can even use a lot of CHromLib
                behaviors!

Rgs,
                Ziggi