7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 6:40 AM by PaulieDC

I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?

coach bob

I am a life long still photo guy. Never had much interest in video (until now).

I needed a new camera to keep up with all of the moving targets in my Adventure Camp - the kids.

After a lot of research I bought a nifty point & shoot Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3.

DMC-ZS3.jpg

"Hey - what's this red button on the back for?" I asked myself.

This thing records HD video (1280x720) in the .mts format.

(Does APE7 handel this camera's 60 fps AVCHD (.mts) video files?)

Now I post daily videos in addition to photos for the parents & kids to see.

See - www.youtube.com/coachbobsports - for some examples.

I have been planning on buying a new desktop workstation in October after Windows 7 is released.

I now want to get a machine that will easily handle video editing.

I don't play games but would also be loading and using the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium applications.

Is a budget of $800-$1200 realistic?

I now have an old 22" LCD monitor in the 4:3 format. Should I get a new one in 16:9?

What kind of processor? Intel Core i7?

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions,

Coach Bob

• 2. Re: I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here are our recommended specs for editing video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390599?tstart=0

But I sure wouldn't recommend this program to run with that camera! Rather than shooting in AVCHD it shoots in AVCHD Lite, a format that is not well supported and which will give you nothing but trouble with Premiere Elements.

You'll be much better off with a traditional tape-based HDV camcorder.

If you do want to shoot in AVCHD, make sure it is true AVCHD and not AVCHD Lite -- and you may find trouble finding a system that can handle it for under $1200. AVCHD editing generally requires at least a quad core processor and 4 gigs of RAM.

• 3. Re: I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?
            coach bob Level 1

Thank you Steve for your reply.

I don't think buying another video gadget is in the works for me.

If I could convert the AVCHD Lite files into another HD format which one would you suggest would work best for PE7.

And here are the other formats that my camera outputs:

Would “Motion JPEG HD” work?

Thanks – Coach Bob

• 4. Re: I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?
              coach bob Level 1

Thank you Steve for your reply.

I don't think buying another video gadget is in the works for me.

If I could convert the AVCHD Lite files into another HD file format before importing into PE7 which one would you suggest?

And here are all the formats that my camera outputs:

screenshot.05-08-2009 19.08.36.jpg

Would “Motion JPEG HD” work with PE7?

Thanks,

Coach Bob

• 5. Re: I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said, Bob, any marriage between this camcorder and Premiere Elements would likely be an unhappy one. In fact, we regularly see posts on this forum from people struggling to work with that type of camcorer and AVCHD Lite video. (MJPEG has challenges of its own.)

If you want to convert the AVCHD Lite video to standard DV-AVI (the ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements), you may be able to do so with Prizm Video Converter.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

But I don't know how you feel about having to convert every video clip before you can edit it.

The challenge is that these types of camcorders are not designed to shoot editable video. They're made to just shoot video and post it to YouTube.

It's possible the camera came with a basic editing program -- and that may offer you an editing solution. But because of the nature of these types of camcorders, I think you'll find it very difficult to do any serious editing with it using Premiere Elements or a similar NLE program. Sorry.

• 6. Re: I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several implementations of the MJPEG CODEC's out there right now. Nikon is using some with its recently released still cameras, that also produce motion.

Most users have had excellent results with the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC in PrPro (do not know about PrE, but would suspect that it would work there too). Others have used the Morgan with good results too.

One caveat is that different mfgrs. use different implementations of CODEC's to suit their target of compression vs quality. It can differ by camera mfgr.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: I'm new to video - buying new workstation in fall - what should I look for in $800-$1200 range?
                    PaulieDC Level 2

Coach, definitely listen to these guys regarding formats and software. PE is an OK consumer editor provided it can deal with the format you give it, but don't try to hammer a square peg into a round hole, you'll be beyond frustrated and then end up throwing more money at it than is necessary.

As far as a PC for editing, try to spring to the i7 rig. You'll be happy now AND later, that i7 is quite the processor. Your budget is a tight one for a decent i7 rig, but maybe you can find one in the Dell Outlet (great prices there, cheaper than the corporate Dell discount I get). Definitely get 64 bit and at least 6GB of RAM and 7200rpm hard drives. Windows 7 is coming out in October and it's a great operating system so if there's a free upgrade, definitely get that.

Now, in the mood to build your rig? I just built mine last month for $1279 (OK, I did patiently wait for sales and rebates since March), and at this level it pays to build. You can't build a standard dual-core PC cheaper than you can buy one, but a performance video rig can be built for much cheaper. PM me your email address if you're interested and I'll send you the components I used, I have them in a Newegg Wish List. Basically I built an i7 920 rig with 12GB ram, 300GB 10KRPM hard drive, GTX260 video card, Corsair 850w power supply and 64-bit Windows 7 RC version (with a cheap DVD burner and media card reader). The Dell Studio XPS is similar to mine in specs and costs $1600 plus shipping, and that's with slower RAM and whatever power supply they give you, and probably the stock cooler. I have 1600mhz ram, excellent power supply, a CPU cooler that allows me to do some overclocking, and a huge Antec case with lots of room to spare. But the real savings is the warranty: Most of my EVGA components are lifetime warranteed (once you register them), and almost everything else has between a 3 and 5 year warranty. A 5 year warranty from Dell will cost you well over $400 ADDITIONAL. Plus, when you build a rig, you know it inside and out and can make mods and additions wherever you need to, and you're not going to "void the warranty" if you open the case and replace something.

Just some thoughts! Welcome to the video world!