6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 5:51 PM by Colin Brougham

Is there a way to insert a specific gap between clips? (CS4)

a13firman Level 1

I am trying to insert a 3 second gap in between about 15 clips on a timeline. I could do it manually, but it is sort of a pain. How can I insert a standard gap between clips?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to insert a specific gap between clips? (CS4)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I know of no semi-automatic way to do this--it's going to be some degree of manual work, whichever way you slice it. But this might help make it a little faster:

1. Drop all of your clips, end to end, in your sequence.
          2. Switch to the Track Select tool; I believe the default shortcut is "A", but I might have changed that.
          3. With the Track Select tool active, click on the second clip in your sequence to select it and all clips after it.
          4. Using the numeric keypad on your keyboard, type in "+300" for three seconds, or whatever time duration you need, and hit the Enter key on the keypad. All of the selected clips will be moved forward in time three seconds. This will leave a gap of three seconds between the first clip and the group of following clips.
          5. Go back to step #3 and repeat this as often as necessary to create the gaps. You should be able to mow through them pretty quickly in this fashion.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to insert a specific gap between clips? (CS4)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would go about this in a different way.

In the Project Panel, chose the New icon and Transparent Video. Don't worry about the Duration set in Preferences, as we'll take care of that in a second.

Once in the Project Panel, Dbl-click the newly created Transparent Video, to get it into the Source Monitor. Set the Out Point to your Duration. Then just Insert it at the junction of the Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS you can use PageUp/PageDn to step through your Timeline, Clip by Clip.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to insert a specific gap between clips? (CS4)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am also a big fan of NOT having true gaps in the Video. Now, if you have material on other Video Tracks, no problem. While some have never had an issue with gaps in the Video, but many have horror stories. I cut my "losses" and always have contiguous Video in the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is there a way to insert a specific gap between clips? (CS4)
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I hear what you're saying, Bill, and I agree, but I think my method is still valid and, in fact, preferred in certain circumstances:

1. The clips are audio clips.
                2. The clips are graphics on Track V2+ that are supered over a video/graphic background on Track V1.
                3. The clips are video clips on Track V2+ that are supered/PIPs over a video/graphic background on Track V1.

As the OP did not specify the nature of his clips nor his application of the "gapping" technique or his rationale for it, both approaches have merit. The OP can decide which works better for his purposes.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to insert a specific gap between clips? (CS4)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  What sort of problems?

The most common one is the failure to Render, or Export and receiving the "Failure to Return Video Frame" at the gap.

Now, I have had some Timelines with gaps that worked fine. Why one gap can kill a Timeline and dozens do not is still a mystery, at least to me.

Hunt