8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 11:35 AM by boulaflex

AE animated GIF Render changes anim's length & frame amount, why?!

boulaflex

Hi,

Trying to render a project into an animated GIF inside AE: I made just a basic little test with 2 shapes moving and spinning for 3.05 seconds in a 200 X 120 comp at 15 frames/second, rendered it choosing the 8 bit per channel option in the render settings ( + web safe colors, no dithering, no transparency, loop mode on), and the animated GIF ends up being rendered at a 1/3 times slower and plays as such in my computer/web... (the final size of the file is 20kb btw).

And as a PROOF, I imported it back into AE and dragged it on the new comp icon, and its length became 4 secs!!! But wait, that's not all : just to make it more bizarre here is what I found: as I walk through the frames, one by one, of the imported rendered anim GIF's comp from 1rst to 2nd to last, they all add up to 3.13 (already 7 mores frames), and as I move ONE frame forward (on the actual last one), suddenly the timecode jumps from 3.13 to 4.00!!!

I'm sure there's a logical reason for it, but this is just too mind boggling for me... Thanks for the help!

Pat

ps: Note that in the the Output Module options all other choices aside from millions of colors in the depth section are grayed out... I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm just saying.

• 1. Re: AE animated GIF Render changes anim's length & frame amount, why?!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, I never really used AE to create animated GIFs. I prefer ImageReady/ PS Extended - much more control over color palette and optimization. That being so, I can't give you any real advise on what goes wrong in AE, but GIFs are handled via Quicktime, so actually that may be the culprit - at least for re-importing, that is. Have you checked the footage interpretation? Internally, GIFs use a fraction of a second as their metrum, but not a fixed frame increment, so you may also see odd value rounding here and there. The same could apply to differnces in playback speed, which also quite naotably depends on the number of colors used and the size of the GIF as well as which browser/ viewer is used. So all in all, even if you try very hard, there will be cases where against all your efforts, it may not work as expected.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE animated GIF Render changes anim's length & frame amount, why?!
            boulaflex Level 1

Ok, thanks for the info.

But what I should have started asking actually, would probably be, how can I render a small animation made in AE into a light animated ad for the web. I have no knowledge about flash so I thought I'd save myself by doing ''What I once did in the past'' with the gif animation process... But I just have realized I can save all this trouble by exporting my AE animation comp into a SWF, which gives the right timing to every frame and basically just looks like it should. (or am I doing something wrong that I don't know yet by doing this somehow?). Point being that I'd rather animate with a program I know instead of going through the hassle of buying/learning Flash.

Still wondering why the SWF render option is listed under the Export features instead of the Render Option formats in the Render Module...

Pat

I

• 3. Re: AE animated GIF Render changes anim's length & frame amount, why?!
              dansch37

i have been experiencing kind of the same thing. I am using my animated gifs to be light for Powerpoint. great solution if i dont say so myself. but the timing being off. Thats a serious issue that is making me look bad. Why would Adobe put a feature to export to Gif if it doesn't work properly?Perhaps we should report it as a bug.

have you tried exporting as a .FLV? Its the raster version of a swf. (Swf being better for vector stuff while FLV is better for raster stuff, and youll notice it in the file sizes too. One more thing. You'll probably want to to insert a FLV into a SWF to play it, as most machines/players (including Flash player) cant play FLVs.

• 4. Re: AE animated GIF Render changes anim's length & frame amount, why?!
                boulaflex Level 1

I've tried both FLV and SWF, and I don't know how to check the playback for the FLV aside from Winamp who opens it, but it seems a bit buggy or something (most likely a winamp thing). File is smaller, but SWF has done the job so far (also on the raster level).

I've noticed something else though, why does it creates an additional file of the same name but with the addition of the letter ''R'' at the end and getting the extension''.htm''?

• 5. Re: AE animated GIF Render changes anim's length & frame amount, why?!
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  >  I don't know how to check the playback for the FLV

"You can play a movie in an FLV or F4V container file in many different ways, including the following:

• Import the file into the Flash Professional authoring application and publish the video in a SWF file.

• Play the movie in the Adobe Media Player (AMP).

• Preview the movie using Adobe Bridge."

See "Render and export a composition as an FLV or F4V file" for more information.

> why does it creates an additional file of the same name but with the addition of the letter ''R'' at the end and getting the extension''.htm''?

That's a report file. This is explained in After Effects Help: "Render and export a composition as a SWF file"

• 6. `
                    Navarro Parker Level 3

I make animated GIFs all the time for message boards.  Render your Quicktime movie out of AE. Go to Photoshop Extended and simply open the movie. Then go to Save for Web and set your color depth, looping and scale. Really easy.

• 8. Re: `
                      boulaflex Level 1

Navarro Parker wrote:

I make animated GIFs all the time for message boards.  Render your Quicktime movie out of AE. Go to Photoshop Extended and simply open the movie. Then go to Save for Web and set your color depth, looping and scale. Really easy.

Seems pretty easy indeed. Don't have Extended though... Only doable through that version? And are you sure that there is no time delay/slowness/extension/chopiness involved with that process? i.e. if you compare the 2 next to each other, aside from a bit of downgraded visuals, the play along exactly the same?

Thanks!