3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 10:39 PM by asifdegr8

Serving up flv videos from tomcat webserver

Mainmanian Level 1

I am running Tomcat as my webserver and I am trying to play videos that are available on my website. I use VideoDisplay and set the source to "http://mywebsite/flvdirectory/myVideo.flv". When I do thus, the video screen is black and the sound plays. I do not know how to fix this. I checked the crossdomain.xml and it seems to be quite permissive. Is there anything special I need to do to for my flex app with VideoDisplay to paly that FLV.

NEED HELP!!!!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Serving up flv videos from tomcat webserver
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Here are some things to check:

1) -use-network=true       Project - Properties - Flex Compiler - Additional compiler arguments, add -use-network=true

2) Verify that the relative paths to the video files are correct on the server.

3) Verify that you are displaying .flv files only, because VideoDisplay doesn't do .mpg, .mov, .avi, just .flv

4) Could be a timing issue. If the video is not streaming and its not loaded yet, black screen could be the result.

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Serving up flv videos from tomcat webserver
            Mainmanian Level 1

Greg, there must be gremlins in my computer :-) Thanks for your resonse. Very helpful to check my sanity. It still has not resolved my problem. I do use use-network=true (though, I understand that it is the default option in Flex) and I am trying to play only flv. The relative paths are correct and I even added an event listener for the VideoEvent.ready to make sure that it is loaded (though it runs counter to the progressive download concept) and still not close.

If I play the same flv from the same location in a flash FLVPlayback component, it works flawlessly.

• 3. Re: Serving up flv videos from tomcat webserver
              asifdegr8

Try to run without using web server. if it works, then definitely you have to fix this issue for web server.