4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 7:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Repost of Hijacked Post.

Captain825 Level 1
      Hi

My last post of this question was hijacked so I didn't get a response so I am reposting hoping you can help me out.

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 on a PHP server and I have a form on a page where the user can click on the Submit Button and the form gets emailed. However, I would like the user to have a choice of submitting the form via the Submit button or by clicking on another button and the data in the form is passed to a form they can print and fax which would automatically generate a fax cover sheet in addition to the form.

I would really appreciate any help.
        • 1. Re: Repost of Hijacked Post.
          Level 7
          a way to do this would be to have one submit button, and have the choice of
          sending by email or showing a printable version they can fax in be a select
          or set of radio buttons.

then customize the php script so at the top of the sequence it reads the
          value of that form field and then processes normally if email is chosen or
          if print for faxing is chosen goes to a new section that outputs an html
          page with the form info displayed so they can print it. If you want multiple
          pages (you mentioned a cover letter) it would have to be done in separate
          calls to the script, or have the script call a pdf engine on the server to
          generate a pdf file the user will be prompted to download and print out.

Given that [AFAIK] this will all be custom scripting, why do you or the
          client want this? What does it add? Why give the visitor the choice to print
          and fax the info when they have typed it in and it can be sent by Your
          server's mail server to email by just pressing the button?
          It's really not something that's going to be needed and trying to do it just
          isn't worth the effort IMHO unless i'm missing something.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Repost of Hijacked Post.
            Captain825 Level 1
            I agree with you 100%. This is a law firm website and they feel they don't want the user to accuse the firm of limiting their ability to communicate with the firm to only email. I am going to try again to discourage them from adding this ability to the site but if they insist, you have pointed me in the right direction and I will take it from here.

Thank you for your input.
            • 3. Re: Repost of Hijacked Post.
              Level 7
              > I agree with you 100%. This is a law firm

Lawyers tend to over analyze everything.

There's a flaw in their logic. To print/fax the form, they have to visit the
              web site anyways. If they're already visiting the web site, they could
              easily submit the form via email if you set up a server-side forms
              processing script.

If they still insist, then maybe just offer a PDF version of a paper form.

-Darrel

• 4. Re: Repost of Hijacked Post.
                Level 7
                I've used OmniPage in the past for this.
                it's incredible too. I scanned the client's printed employment application
                and output it as a PDF "form" the user can actually type into the form and
                print it out, etc.

--
                Chris Leeds
                Have you seen ContentSeed (www.contentseed.com)?
                NOTE:
                This message was posted from an unmonitored email account.
                This is an unfortunate necessity due to high volumes of spam sent to email
                addresses in public newsgroups.
                Sorry for any inconvenience.
                "darrel" <notreal@notreal.com> wrote in message
                news:g6sgcq$rfk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> I agree with you 100%. This is a law firm
                >
                > Lawyers tend to over analyze everything.
                >
                > There's a flaw in their logic. To print/fax the form, they have to visit
                > the web site anyways. If they're already visiting the web site, they could
                > easily submit the form via email if you set up a server-side forms
                > processing script.
                >
                > If they still insist, then maybe just offer a PDF version of a paper form.
                >
                > -Darrel
                >
                >
                >
                >