6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 8:37 AM by Joe Riggs

past attributes?

Joe Riggs Level 1

I love the option in PPro to past attributes, is there one in AE? I can't find it, so what I've been doing is selecting the keyfames from the timeline and then pasting them. However, something akin to paste attributes would be more accurate and save a significant amount of time.

Thanks

• 1. Re: past attributes?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What specifically do you refer to by "attributes"? The property streams in the timeline are your attributes, whether keyframed or static. The only thing not covered are layer switches, which can on occasion be a pain, but you can find scripts for that (Jeff Almasol's rd_statesman from his website). Footage interpretation is still done in the project window and can be mass-applied by using Ctrl+Alt+C and Ctrl+Alt+V to copy&paste such settings. Similarly, for othere everyday tasks you can find shortcuts everywhere to input values numerically or trigger special settings dialogs. just read the help files on that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: past attributes?
            Joe Riggs Level 1

Thanks for your reply. What I mean by "attributes" is anything that has been applied to a clip in the timeline (effects or any of the items under transform). What I'm trying to figure out is the easiest way to copy those "attributes" and paste them onto different clips.

As mentioned in my first post, the rudimentary way I've been doing is needlessly time consuming. PPro makes it simple with their paste attributes option, and I would think AE, where one needs to apply the same filters and transform settings to multiple clips would have something similar.   

• 3. Re: past attributes?
              yenaphe Level 4

If you select your layer and press UU to show all the modified properties of your layer, and then select all of them and copy past, does it work ?

Sound quite fast for me.

• 4. Re: past attributes?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Seb said, U and UU shortcuts are your friend to reveal all properties that have changed or are animated and with that, it's easy to copy&paste stuff around. You should get yourself into AE's way of thinking instead of trying to apply the logic of another program. It's always best to free yourself of preconceptions when learning a new tool - there may be similarities, but the actual implementation may differ considerably. If you need the same effects, masks and animation types over and over again, you should familiarize yourself with the powers of Animation Presets.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: past attributes?
                  Joe Riggs Level 1

The UU way, is pretty much how I've been doing it. However, it is nice to know the shortcut to reveal the effects and transform properties. I tried the animation preset as well and that works, however, I find both inferior to Premiere's paste attributues, especially when dealing with keyframes that you want lined up at the exact same spot in numerous clips.

In AE you must have the CTI at the desired spot when you paste/apply the animation preset or the effects won't line up with the other clip. In premiere, I can paste and the effects will be applyied in the new clip, in the exact same spot as the older clip, regardless of the CTI's positiion.      

• 6. Re: past attributes?
                    yenaphe Level 4

I know what you mean. When i was doing much editing I loved premiere way of copy/pasting, but now that i'm much more of a motion designer, I find AE's way much more powerfull for that. It indeed took me some time to get accostumed to this behavior, but it's always like this i guess.

Seb