4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 2:41 PM by jimmyoneshot

Using Java within an Adobe AIR appl to interact with the desktop

jimmyoneshot Level 1

I have recently been developing an Adobe Air application using Adobe Flex 3 but require the project I'm working on to do a function that flex does not seem to allow.

What I need is when a user of my created application clicks on a button that is WITHIN the application the F1 key will be outputted to the operating system/desktop. So for example if F1 is binded to a certain program installed on the operating system somehow (which it has been) pressing F1 on the desktop would open this program. I want this to be able to be done at the click of a button within an Adobe AIR application without pressing any keys at all (the system my application will be used on won't have a keyboard).

This may sound strange and I may be clutching at straws by asking about Javaon these forums but I have been told that this would require Java to work and I don't know where else to turn.

If anyone can help me out and understands Flex, here is the very simple code for my button application so far which will be implemented into my main app when I can get it working. I simply need the click function of the button to output F1 to the desktop/OS:-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:WindowedApplication

xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute"

>

<mx:Button id="LetterButton" label="Button" horizontalCenter="0" verticalCenter="0" click=""

/>

</mx:WindowedApplication>