7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 8:26 AM by John T Smith

No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell

Charliemc4

Hello,

I am very new to premiere elements and editing so please bare with me! I filmed my sister's wedding and have edited the clips. I tried to burn it to a dvd but it doesn't recognize my burner. So I tried to burn it to a folder which worked but there is no sound when I play it back (it automatically plays on Windows Media Player but there's no sound when I play it back with Real player either.)

I was hoping to burn it on to a disc using media player or maybe using Roxio.

I am using Premiere Elements on windows Xp on a dell.

Many thanks in advance.

Charlie

• 1. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, what is your source video? What type of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

Also, try using a program other than a general purpose media player to play your DVD file. Your computer likely has DVD player software on it. (It's what launches when you put a commercial DVD in your DVD drive.) These programs usually play a "folder" rather than an individual file. Direct it to the VIDEO_TS folder Premiere Elements created and it should play just like a DVD disc.

• 2. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.

When an Adobe program, that burns to DVD, cannot find the player, the most likely problem is that another piece of software has "hooked" the player. Adobe programs need 100% control, and if one has any packet-writing software loaded, it cannot function. Here is an article from the Encore FAQ with suggestions. Here is another from the PrE FAQ. The most likely candidate for a problem is Roxio with its DLA packet-writing module. There are fixes, from uninstalling part of Roxio to using a 3rd party burning program, such as ImgBurn, which is great, small and free.

Now, when you did the Burn to Folder, tell us about that folder and the files inside of it. What is the folder's name, and the names of the files inside?

Windows Media Player, by default as of about ME, cannot natively play a DVD-Video. There are plug-ins that will restore this capability, but MS stripped it out some years back in an attempt to stop piracy of DVD's. As I have not seen RealPlayer in at least 15 years, I have no idea of its capabilities. I use CyberLink's PowerDVD as my software player, and it functions very nicely. Depending on the version of Roxio that you have, it is likely to have a DVD software player in the suite.

Back in PrE, did you have sound? If so, then there could be several reasons for not being able to here it at this point. It could be a setting on the software player used, or a setting on your computer's audio system. It is qute possible that PrE uses a different part of that system, than does the software player, so one might function, while another might not. We can address that, after we find out exactly what your files (those that you burned to a folder) are.

Good luck, and please tell us about your folder and its files,

Hunt

• 3. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
              Charliemc4 Level 1

Thanks for your replies. It has sound fine when I play it in Premiere Elements.

I uploaded it from a Sony Z1 using a firewire cable. I use this camera for work and there haven't been any problems with it.

The folder is called wedding because that is what I named it! But there are two folders inside:

1. OpenDVD

inside it is another folder called sources with a file called VTS_01_1_VOB.ses

2. VIDEO_TS

it has got eight files in it.

VIDEO_TS.BUP (6kb)

VIDEO_TS.IFO (6 kb)

VTS_01_0.BUP (30 kb)

VTS_01_0.IFO (30 kb)

VTS_01_1.VOB (1,048, 544 kb)

VTS_01_2.VOB (1,048, 544 kb)

VTS_01_3.VOB (1,048, 544 kb)

VTS_01_4.VOB (232, 964 kb)

Thanks

• 4. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
                the_wine_snob Level 9

VIDEO_TS

it has got eight files in it.

Great. That is exactly what I wanted to see. You have the correct VIDEO_TS folder, and the contents look good.

Now, the thing to determine is if the Audio was Transcoded into the .VOB's.

A little background first:

What happens when one authors a DVD-Video (regardless of where they burn it, i.e. folder or disc), is that the NLE (Non Linear Editor), or authoring program (PrE is both), will Transcode the Project into an MPEG-2 file. It will be muxed, in that it contains both the Video and the Audio. In the process of Transcoding, there are initially two files created, the elemental streams of Audio and Video. Near the end of this process, these two elemental streams are combined into one MPEG-2 file. Then all things like Menus and navigation are assembled and finally the necessary DVD-Video files are created. The MPEG-2 (now Audio & Video) is broken into parts - the .VOB files. The first contains all Menus, plus the first part of the MPEG-2 file. The next contain the other parts. These can be no larger than about 1GB, so the Duration of one's production will determine how many of these there are. A few other files, the IFO's and BUP's are written, and the VIDEO_TS folder is created to hold these. In some authoring programs an empty AUDIO_TS folder is also created. This is a holdover from an never fully implemented DVD-Audio system. Some very old players still want to see that AUDIO_TS folder, though it will always be empty. If my client has really old gear, I'll just create such an empty folder - just in case. Most newer players never even bother. Some authoring apps. still write that empty folder. Though your problem is Audio, the presence, or absence of that folder is meaningless.

Now, to the issue at hand. You need to test the files in your VIDEO_TS folder, to make sure that there IS Audio in the muxed MPEG-2 file, contained within the VOB file.

You mentioned that you have Roxio. Open it up and see if you have a DVD player in its suite. For Nero, a similar suite, it's called NeroVision. Been so long ago that I saw a Roxio product, I haven't a clue what it might be called. If you have one, launch it, and point it to either the IFO or the VOB files. Actually, you should be able to just point it to the location of your VIDEO_TS folder, and it should do the rest. Make sure that the Audio is turned on and up in the Roxio DVD software player. It's usually an icon of a slider/potentiometer, somewhere on the interface. Does it play with Audio?

I'd leave WMP and RealPlayer out of the mix for these tests.

Let me know how this goes, please.

Hunt

• 5. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not have a DVD software player module in Roxio, I'd recommend MediaPlayer Classic HC (Home Cinema). It's free, has decoding for most popular formats, and is built on the older, rock-solid MediaPlayer Classic. Unlike another popular freeware DVD software player, it does not use any illegally obtained code (the other player is under investigation and no charges have been proved yet. To date, only allegations have been made.).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
                    Charliemc4 Level 1

Hello,

sorry for the delay, I have tested the VOB files and they do have sound on the home cinema you recommended. Thank you!

My roxio can burn to a disc that will play in the computer but I am pretty sure it won't play in a dvd player.

Is there any free to download software you could recommend to burn a dvd from this?

Many many thanks

Charlie

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:21:21 -0600

To: charliemccathie@hotmail.com

Subject: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell

If you do not have a DVD software player module in Roxio, I'd recommend http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-player-classic-hc.html (Home Cinema). It's free, has decoding for most popular formats, and is built on the older, rock-solid MediaPlayer Classic. Unlike another popular freeware DVD software player, it does not use any illegally obtained code (the other player is under investigation and no charges have been proved yet. To date, only allegations have been made.).

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: No sound when I burn to folder - PE7, Dell
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>free to download software you could recommend

Search the forum for Imgburn to learn what to do, and Google to find a download link - MAY be www.imgburn.com but I don't have the link where I am now, so not 100% sure about that

Use Verbatim or Tayio Yuden media and tell Imgburn to use the SLOWEST speed possible for the best burn possible