3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 7:38 AM by Gregory Lafrance

Problem debugging Flex app(.mxml)

beckman16

I am new to flex.
      There is this project(website actually) where swf files are loaded on aspx page.
      This project was developed by someone else and I have to understand this.

When I run the flex application in Flex Builder3, it expects some parameters to be passed to it.
      Like it loads some other swf file, whose path is passed to it by the calling aspx page(please tell me if this is even possible)

When this swf file is loaded by aspx page, it works just fine, but when I run the flex application in Flex Builder3, it reports error saying "file not found at the location", because the expected path is not being passed to it. How did they developed this application?....I know with little workarounds this is possible, but is there some proper way by which such apps are being developed(specially flex coupled with visual studio)

Please tell me if you dont understand what my problem is.

would appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Problem debugging Flex app(.mxml)
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Its hard to say how the app was developed. You have been given all the files for the entire application, or just a sub-set?

Does it have one or more .mxml and/or .as files, such that it is a Flex app (perhaps using other technologies)?

If you have .mxml and / or .as files, then you can start to figure out how it was developed, for example does it use HTTPService to get data, etc.

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

• 2. Re: Problem debugging Flex app(.mxml)
            beckman16 Level 1

Hi Greg,

Yes, I have whole project source with me.

It does have many .mxml and .as files. I started looking into the code

....It does not have any HTTPService or sort of clue which I can use to get

to the root of the problem.

The flex project have different directory structure than that of the website

project directory stucture, but the output of flex project is set to be in

the website directory structure...It could be that when launching the

website....it finds the resources at appropriate place....but running the

flex project, it is unable to find the resource....probably it is programmed

to get the current file location at runtime and tries to find the resource

relative to that location.....that seems fine.....but the annoyment is how

they would have developed it?...I am having tough time debugging the app. to

get to know how the things are going inside....it ends up with the page not

found.:(

Is there any way to couple flex project with flex bulder?

Regards

Pankaj Gupta

• 3. Re: Problem debugging Flex app(.mxml)
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Flex apps need to use something to access data, and also to post data back to the server, so there should be something somewhere that accesses data, like HTTPService, WebService, RemoteObject etc.

Look for creationComplete event handlers, or if not that then initialize event handlers. That is often when data is accessed.

If the file you got was a zip Flex project archive just import it from the file-import menu, otherwise you may need to create a new Flex project, but then you may need to setup libraries and compiler options, etc. and that can be problematic.

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.