7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2008 11:31 AM by

Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons

dbonneville Level 1
      OK...I’ve been a Fireworks user and advocate since it was in beta 10 years ago. I use it everyday for every webstie. But I’m stumped. In in FW8 on a Mac. If I draw a box and put a linear gradient on it, and then hit “q” and rotate the box, the gradient as expected rotates along with it. But if I draw a circle or polygon and apply a linear gradient, if I hit “q” and rotate it, the gradient stays at the angle of the orginal position. I have deleted and redrawn the circles and polygons several times to make sure I’m not losing my mind, but it happens every time. I even grouped the obect – no dice. I then grouped 2 objects (2 circles) and when I “q” rotate them, their gradients stay put incorrectly in the original position. However, no matter what I do, a rectangle with a gradient goes exactly where I rotate the object. If rotate 10 or 100 degrees, the gradient is perfect as I’d expect it to be.

What am I missing? How to you apply a gradient to a circle or polygon and then rotate the object and keep the gradient??

Doug
        • 1. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
          Level 7
          Flatten it?

Peter
          ago.
          | I use it everyday for every webstie. But I?m stumped. In in FW8 on a Mac.
          If I
          | draw a box and put a linear gradient on it, and then hit ?q? and rotate
          the
          | box, the gradient as expected rotates along with it. But if I draw a
          circle or
          | polygon and apply a linear gradient, if I hit ?q? and rotate it, the
          gradient
          | stays at the angle of the orginal position. I have deleted and redrawn the
          | circles and polygons several times to make sure I?m not losing my mind,
          but it
          | happens every time. I even grouped the obect ? no dice. I then grouped 2
          | objects (2 circles) and when I ?q? rotate them, their gradients stay put
          | incorrectly in the original position. However, no matter what I do, a
          rectangle
          | with a gradient goes exactly where I rotate the object. If rotate 10 or
          | degrees, the gradient is perfect as I?d expect it to be.
          |
          | What am I missing? How to you apply a gradient to a circle or polygon and
          then
          | rotate the object and keep the gradient??
          |
          | Doug
          |

• 2. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
            dbonneville Level 1
            That's what I'm doing now, because I can't figure out how to do it any other way. But I was going to scale it down, which is going to give me strange edges on the bitmaps that flattening creates. I'll just have to clean it up.

But there has to be way to do this...

Doug
            • 3. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
              Level 7
              On 17 Jun 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, dbonneville wrote:

> That's what I'm doing now, because I can't figure out how to do it
              > any other way. But I was going to scale it down, which is going to
              > give me strange edges on the bitmaps that flattening creates. I'll
              > just have to clean it up.
              >
              > But there has to be way to do this...

Hit the paint bucket tool to get the handles for the gradient, and use
              them to rotate the gradient?

--
              Joe Makowiec
              http://makowiec.net/
              Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
              • 4. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
                dbonneville Level 1
                I could do that as well, which is also kludgy because you have to move the position of the anchor. You can't just rotate it with the paint bucket.

The kicker is why you can just simply rotate a box with a liner gradient, but you CAN'T just rotate a circle or elipse or polygon. I guess there is no way except by hand. Must have been an oversight. I don't know if CS3 is any different. I'll check on the PC I have that running on...

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
                  Level 7
                  On 17 Jun 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, dbonneville wrote:

> I could do that as well, which is also kludgy because you have to
                  > move the position of the anchor. You can't just rotate it with the
                  > paint bucket.

Sure you can. The anchor is initially in the center of the shape, with
                  the other end hanging off somewhere. Just grab the outer end and rotate
                  it around to where you want it. It shouldn't be any harder than moving
                  the shape itself.

--
                  Joe Makowiec
                  http://makowiec.net/
                  Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                  • 6. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
                    dbonneville Level 1
                    Make a circle and then put a linear gradient on it. You'll notice the anchor is directly on an edge. Rotating the handle flips the gradient more or less "out of bounds" so you end up with one end of the gradient only, if you rotate 180 or something. To really change the angle, you'd have to grab the anchor and put it where you want to terminate one of the colors, and then grab the handle to get your angle correct, but it's all eyeball. If you want a 45 degree angle, for instance, you have to move the handle until you don't see a dithered line (no jaggies), and make sure you anchor is halfway between anchor points on the circumference of the circle.
                    • 7. Re: Can't rotate gradient on circles or polygons
                      the information on rotating the handle flip was good. could you give more on that same