4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 9:31 AM by the_wine_snob

CS4, Rendering order question

genoism Level 1

When outputting in adobe media encoder, does it render layers that have another layer over them? (both have the opacity set to normal, the lower layer is not visible at all, only in a few places it becomes visible so going around cutting everywhere that it will be visible is going to be a huge pain).

Reason I ask is because even though its not visible at all it still plays back sluggishly in premiere until I disable it(its an AE linked file with a few heavy effects). So I'm wondering if when actually rendering, does it calculate/render the ae linked layer even though its completely overlayed by another layer.

Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: CS4, Rendering order question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically, it will Flatten/Merge (the terms used in PS with Layers) all Video Tracks (not normally called Layers in PrPro) into one. That is what will be Exported - the Flattened/Merged Timeline.

This is why, with a Rendered Timeline, if you add just a single Title on a higher Video Track, you'll get the "red line." That Clip has now changed, and the result of the combo of the new Clip (the Title) and the underlying Clip (the Rendered footage) is now different.

As for playback, the Exported file will be Flattened/Merged, and will also no longer rely on the DL AE Comp, so it should be smoother. However, your system will likely be the judge of whether it can playback smoothly enough.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS4, Rendering order question
            genoism Level 1

hmmm thats odd, it plays back the top layer fine when i turn off the ae layer below it even though its not visible. Which is what prompted me to ask this in the first place.

But thanks!

• 3. Re: CS4, Rendering order question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Is the AE Comp Clip fully Rendered and Exported from AE, or are you using Adobe DL to AE?

If the former, what are the specs on that Clip. If the latter, then it might be expected, depending on your system. Try with it Rendered and Exported. You'll need to Import that new file and replace the Clip on the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS4, Rendering order question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, are you Rendering, or Exporting? They are two different things.

The playback - is it in the preview in the Program Monitor, or are you Exporting and then using a player for the file? If so, which player and what is the format/CODEC of the Exported file?

Good luck,

Hunt