18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2009 3:38 PM by Jim_Simon

No image upon boot - new PC - first boot

jimvt

I apologize up front for posing a strictly technical Q on a PPRo forum, but I just spent a lot of time and money building up this new PC for use as my primary PPRO machine and really need to get it in serive asap. I figure a few of you just completed this drill and will have fresh insights. Thanks for any insight on the below issue! Yes, this is the first PC I've ever built - sorry for the newbie Q!

Problem:  I'm not getting any image on the LCD monitor (Samsung 23" LCD via DVI cable) when I initially power-up this brand new PC. Granted, there is no OS loaded - or anything for that matter - but I expected to get a BIOS screen after it finished POST. There are no beeps. This is an ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 with all jumpers set to factory settings (no OV settings) with a HIS 4890 graphics card. I see no VGA option on the motherboard.  All the fans and internals seems to be chugging along and I believe I heard the single SATA drive get accessed. I suspect that this is a graphics card issue and that I'm simply not seeing the BIOS display. I am hesitant to try loading the HIS driver CD that came with the card in fear that I will mess things up even worse.

Help!

Jim

• 1. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most MoBo's will give you a single "beep," on boot, when it successfully finds your vid-card. No beep could mean several things. First thing that I would do is remove the vid-card, check all connectors and then carefully and fully re-seat it. Now, I do not have your MoBo, so things could be different, but on all that I have ever had, I got that beep.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have access to a "know good" vid-card, if my first comment does not help, try with the other card. Even if you have to borrow one from a friend, or a computer shop (offer them a few $'s), it would be a test of your MoBo.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS check all vid-card power connectors too. Many of the later cards need a second power feed.

• 3. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
              jimvt Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. The GFX card takes two power plugs, both of which are installed. The card is all light-up and the fan is whirling.

Unfortunately I don't have an extra PCI-E card laying around ;-(

I'll keep hunting for a solution first and go beg a spare card if nothing gets resolved. The downside of building a PC from parts via mail!

Jim

• 4. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Reseating the card made no change?

Can you put a VOM on the two power connectors and check their output? You'll want the power supply's manual for this. Personally, I find cutting a matching connector to get to wires, and not rounded pins, etc., a bit easier. Hope that you have some matching extra power leads about - or a very steady hand. Gosh, I hate sparks!

Check the readings against the requirements on the GFX's specs. Some more powerful cards are very specific about their power requirements. Make sure that you have the right power supply cables. You could be getting enough "juice" to light some LED's and run the fan, but not enough to fire off the card.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The P6T does have an on-board status LED to signify whether everything is OK. Check that display during boot and compare with the manual in hand where possible problems may be. Also, before booting, check very carefully the power connectors to your video card. It is easy to think they are well seated, when in fact they are not. You have used the 'top' PCI-e slot for the video card (looking at it from a tower perspective), haven't you?

It these tips do not help, supply more details (PSU, video card, memory, etc.)

• 6. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    The downside of building a PC from parts via mail!

You are right there, but OTOH it is extremely rare for a card to fail completely on the first boot. Since reseating, as Bill suggested, did not help, have a carefull look at all connectors, to the mobo, to the video card, from the PSU if you have a modular PSU. When building your own PC it is a matter of check, check and recheck. And it is so easy to plug in a power connection to the moment you feel resistance and you think that is where I have to stop exerting pressure, maybe I'll damage something if I put more pressure on it. That is often the point where you may have to exert more pressure to correctly seat that power connector. If you try to disconnect the cable by pulling on the connector without using the release mechanism, and you succeed, then you know the connector was not properly seated.

CHECK ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS CAREFULLY!!!

• 7. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

The one time this happened to me, it turned out that my monitor's input selector button changed to an unavailable setting. You might also try double checking that your video card is seated all the way in the slot and the leads from the power supply are all firmly in place on the motherboard.

• 8. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                        jimvt Level 1

Thanks for all the ideas everyone...really appreciate the great response! I am going through your advice and also follow-up a procedure per the ASUS site for debugging this situation. For example, I just pulled the battery for 10 minutes to clear the CMOS. All connections were good. Next up - find the table explaining the on-board LEDs for the P6T.

I'll post another message after going through all these actions or if I get a monitor image sooner!

Thanks

Jim

• 9. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck and go slowly and carefully.

In the old days, it was just get one of the pigtails to the MoBo, one to the vid-card and some of the fan pigtails where they belonged - bolt in the HDD's and get 'em powered, and you were away. Now, it like me popping the hood on my wife's Mercedes - I have no clue what I'm looking at!

Success may just be a connection away.

Also, as per Charles' comment - can you check your monitor on another system? Still, the initial beep of the MoBo seeing the vid-card is bothersome, but maybe the lack of it is throwing us off, and Charles is on to something.

Hunt

• 10. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                            jimvt Level 1

Well, no luck yet. I've tried all your ideas and the process I read on the ASUS user forum. My main concern is that I'm not

able to get any beeps out of the MB. Even when I've removed all the memory, the GPU and the keyboard. I think I should

get plenty of beeps with all those peices missing. I have installed the tiny speaker supplied with the MB AND have an

external speaker attached to the rear audio out jack.

Next step I think is to remove the MB (easy to do with the slide-out panel on my CoolerMaster case) and check to make

sure my intelligence hasn't dropped 100 points, ie, that I didn't install the CPU backwards or something. I am trying to

borrow a spare GPU, too, but without any beeps I think that may be premature.

I'll paste the parts list for the PC below. Yes, Harm, it is largely based on your advice from the PPRO forum. I look forward

to seeing it slice through CS4 projects...especially since I'm moving from running CS4 off a laptop running Win XP,

1.8GHz Core Dou, 2 GB RAM.
                            Let me know if anyone has an inspiration about what I could be missing.

Best,
                                      Jim

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
                            Intel i7-920
                            Corsair 750TX  PSU
                            CoolerMaster ATCS 840 case
                            6 x 2GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1333MHz memory (only 1 installed until OS is loaded)
                            4 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 (only one installed until OS is loaded)
                            Samsung 2343BWX 23" LCD monitor (DVI or VGA)
                            HP DVD1170

• 11. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The one thing I have not seen yet for this problem is call ASUS tech support!

• 12. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                jimvt Level 1

Bill,

That is because it seems that ASUS does not have a tech support line. Under "Support" on their USA website they offer FAQs, forums, downloads, "trouble shooting" and an online web form for "technical service". So far they have not answered my request.

If you know of a live phone tech support phone number, please reply with it!

Thanks,

Jim

• 13. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Try this 888-678-3688, no guarantees but I found this in a Google search.  At least it is free.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                    Jim_Simon Level 9

Let me know if anyone has an inspiration about what I could be missing.

I've heard of monitors having some issues with DVI connections like this.  They don't come on till after the boot process is up and running.

Try using VGA.

• 15. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                      jimvt Level 1

Thanks...I switched to the DVI-to-VGA adapter and cable a few days ago to elliminate that issue - however the reality is that the GPU still must output something in either case.

Because of not getting any beeps whatsoever, ASUS agrees that this is either a dead motherboard or CPU.  Now I either send both back or try to find someone in my area with a LGA 1366 socket who will be willing to test my CPU.

Thanks,

Jim

• 16. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                        jimvt Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the number! In case someone else finds this post in the future, ASUS send you to another number for motherboard and GPU issues. That number is:

812-282-2787

I was pleased with only a 5 minute wait, a native English speaking tech who seemed to know the product well and was very helpful! It looks like a dead MoBo or CPU. Unless I can find soemone locally who will let me plug my CPU into their PC, I'll have to send both back.  :-(

Jim

• 17. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                          Phil Griffith Level 2

Something to think about.. Is your processor in place and seated correctly? I notices this is your first time. The processor will only fit one way and easily is correct.

Also, I have experienced for my self that some power supplies have "extra" power plugs for mother board. there should be main power connector and usualy (if memory serves me correct a 4pin?? connector on motherboard. I have in the past mistook other power plugs and no work. Make sure you have all the correct power plugs in place. Without spare parts, it can be cumbersome to trble shoot.

Edit: it helps when I read!  Noticed you did check cpu.

It does happen that you sometimes get mb or cpu dead on arrival. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Message was edited by: Phil Griffith

• 18. Re: No image upon boot - new PC - first boot
                                            Jim_Simon Level 9
                                            ASUS agrees that this is either a dead motherboard or CPU.

That'll do it.