9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 11:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Widescreen within 4:3

Rusty Pietrzak Level 1

I'm trying to put two videos on a DVD, and somehow have one that is widescreen within the 4:3 frame, and the other which shows as full widescreen. I need to make the full widescreen video "smaller", so it's a widescreen format within the 4:3 box. I guess it needs to be 640X480? I see that there are "Frame Width" and Frame Height" adjustments, but they are greyed out and I can't adjust them. I don't know the actual pixel ratio of the small widescreen image, just that it's only "4:3" wide. It's a 16:9 original video.

• 1. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing to look at would be Interpret Footage, and checking the PAR. It is very likely that you can just change that to get what you want. Use Properties to get the data on the Clip that you want to match to.

If the simple PAR interpretation does not do it for you, look at the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
            Harm Millaard Level 7

From what VIDEO camera with what format/codec and how captured?

• 3. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
              Rusty Pietrzak Level 1

"Interpet Footage" is greyed out and not available. Reading the Properties of the files, they BOTH say 720X480!

• 4. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Without knowing the camera you used (you didn't answer the question) it is likely both are 720 x 480 in 4:3 format.

• 5. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Reading the Properties of the files, they BOTH say 720X480!

That is good. Your 16:9 footage should be PAR = 1.2 (for NTSC), and your 4:3 should be PAR = 0.9.

"Interpet Footage" is greyed out and not available

This is odd. Did you only have one of your Clips selected? You can't get this if you have multiple Clips of different dimensions/PAR's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
                    Rusty Pietrzak Level 1

Sony HC7, AVCHD format.  Since 2.0 didn't hamdle that codex, I had to use Sony Vegas Home Studio to edit. I then saved the files as the best quality, and imported them into Premiere to do the soundtrack mixdown. I was able to get the right size one time, but ended up with separate .n and .wav files, and don't know how to get those onto a DVD!

• 7. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are on CS4.1 (do not recall the version # now), you should be able to Import and edit (with a stout computer) the AVCHD material.

[Edit] OK, I see the "2.0" now - PrPro 2.0. Sorry.

Did you use the same specs. for the conversion in your Sony utility? What does G-Spot say about the PAR of each Clip?

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] What exact format/CODEC did you convert to?

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added [Edits]

• 8. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
                        Rusty Pietrzak Level 1

I'm trying to do a rescale, by selecting the Program monitor and dragging the corner down, to match the image size of the widescreen within the 4:3 crop. I'll let you know if it works- I KMOW I can't enlarge the smaller to full widescreen without losing quality. I'll be upgrading to Premiere CS4 soon, which will solve the codex problem.

Rusty

• 9. Re: Widescreen within 4:3
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck and hope that you can get the results that you need.

I'm still puzzled why Interpret Footage is greyed out, when only one Clip is selected.

I'll be upgrading to Premiere CS4 soon, which will solve the codex problem.

Make sure that you have a beefy computer to handle the AVCHD. There are several threads on that material and editing it. Also, be sure to see Harm's three articles on building/buying and setting up an editing machine.

Hunt