14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 9:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7

dthomp03

I have a new problem that has just cropped up with PE7, and I'm stumped.  I have been importing video from my HDV camera for several months and using the footage to create mpeg4 files for use on my iPhone.  No problems for the last several months.

However, the last project I was working on, I was trying to get fancy and overlay the video with video that I already had in mpeg4 format.  In the process, I found I needed to upgrade to the latest Quicktime to be able to import mpeg4.  I did that, but now I'm getting very strange results when trying to render and export the files.  The resultant file will open with a green screen, then will flicker between solid green and an out of synch video stream.  It looks like a speeded up version of the old Max Headroom commercials.

I can export as a DVI, then use Roxio to create the Mpeg4, but I don't want to take the extra step (besides, Roxio has some issues keeping audio and video in synch for large files).

I've tried reinstalling PE7, but the behavior doesn't change.  Any suggestions on how I can fix this and get back to the way things were?

• 1. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As you've found, you can't really use MP4s created by Premiere Elements in a Premiere Elements project. (You also can't use FLVs output from Premiere Elements.)

• 2. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
            dthomp03 Level 1

Uhm, not sure what you are saying here.  After installing the latest quicktime, I was able to pull in and use mpeg4 files just fine.  Ended up with a really cool result.  What has happened is that I can no longer create mpeg4 files, they are corrupted.  I'm not trying to view them in PE7, I'm trying to view them using quicktime.

This is for new projects that have no mpeg4 files involved at all.  They are all HDV, but when rendered as mpeg4, they are trash.  I *used* to be able to render HDV files into mpeg4 with beautiful results, but no longer.

• 3. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
              dthomp03 Level 1

Ah, just reread my original post, and it wasn't clear.  I'm no longer trying to output mpeg4 then pull them back in and render them a second time.  I've finished with that project, and used a workaround.

What my problem is that I can longer render ANY project as an mpeg4, even ones that are 100% HDV or 100% DVI.

• 4. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When something used to work but doesn't any more, it's usually an indication that you need to update your system. In particular, go to Windows Update manually, click the Custom button and download all of the updates.

Also update Quicktime. In fact, in this case you may want to UNINSTALL Quicktime and then install the latest version. It could have become corrupted.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along Steve's lines, several users in the PrPro forum have reported some problems with the Apple H.264 CODEC's recently. Most have opted to get the MainConcept H.264 CODEC, as they have found it to be less "fragile." Do not know what might be going on, but back about QT 7.4.x, there were some really bad versions of the player, especially with Adobe products. After that debacle, 7.5.5 seemed very good and very stable with Adobe programs. Not sure if 7.6.3 (most recent?) is having problems, or if something else is going on.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                    dthomp03 Level 1

Thanks, I'll run a full set of updates (pretty sure I'm already up to date, but doesn't hurt to check again).  Uninstall quicktime looks promising, so I'll give it a try.

• 7. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                      dthomp03 Level 1

Now this looks the most promising, and goes into an area where I'm weak.  If I want to use a different codec, do I just buy it and install it?  Or is there a specific installation order I need to go through to install quicktime then a new codec?

I basicly understand what the codecs do, but changing them is not something I know.  After installing quicktime and PE7, I'm trusting that things were installed correctly.  If there is a good resource that I can read that will give more information on how to choose specific versions of codecs, I'm happy to self educate.

Also, is there a way I can get the "stable" version of quicktime, instead of having to use the latest version?

• 8. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                        dthomp03 Level 1

Well, I self helped and found a copy of QT 7.5.5, so I'll uninstall QT tonight and install 7.5.5 in its place to see if things get fixed.

I am still very interested in the MainConcept idea though, and am willing to pay some money for better codecs (not $1000s though).  I went to their web site, but got quickly confused about what to buy.

• 9. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the MainConcept H.264 CODEC, that has been getting the great reviews. It is not cheap, but beats their Pro version in that category by US$1300.

As a side note on high-compression CODEC's and the output. People often ask how Hollywood can cram so much material onto a DVD-9 with such great quality. The answer is simple - money. The CODEC's and encoders that they use cost 10's of thousands of $'s. The people who run them do nothing else all day, and have many years of experience doing nothing but encoding. They cost a lot of $ too.

Now, none of us is Hollywood. We do not have pockets that deep. However, if one wants the same quality and Duration as Hollywood gets, there is an answer - money.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                            dthomp03 Level 1

Thanks!  I know what I want for my birthday now.

So let me pick your brain a little more.  Since this program runs outside of Premier, that means that once a project is complete, it would need to be saved in an intermediate file prior to encoding it in H264.  What is the best choice for that?  NTSC DV 16:9?

• 11. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              What is the best choice for that?  NTSC DV 16:9

For an SD (DVD-Video) Project, yes.

There are other intermediate CODEC's, like Lagarith. I personally do not know how, or if, it handles HD material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                                dthomp03 Level 1

Well still no luck.

I tried uninstalling QT and reinstalling QT 7.5.5.  I then rendered a small file in PE7 and ended up getting the green flashing result.

Next I tried uninstalling QT completely.  I rendered in PE7 and ended up with a file I couldn't read on the computer.  Moved the file to another computer and checked the result.  Still the green flashing result.

So QT doesn't seem to be the culprit, unless the codec remains in the system even after QT is uninstalled.

I tried doing a repair on PE7 earlier, but that didn't fix the problem either.  I can just see myself paying $700 for a new codec and still having the problem.

I'm stumped.

• 13. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                                  dthomp03 Level 1

Success!

Somehow my presets were changed for the mpeg4 rendering.  I went in and tweaked all of them to match some recommendations that they gave me on Vimeo, and the problem is gone.

Thanks everyone for you help, without the discussion here, I wouldn't have looked hard into codecs.  Learning about the different codecs let me understand the settings and how to modify them.

• 14. Re: Problem with mpeg4 rendering in PE7
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Success!

That is a word we love to hear.

Glad that you got the Export setting right. Though it does not apply in PrE, in CS4 PrPro, there are some confusing settings dialog screens. One has to basically make settings in the first, and then check them in the second. Most assume that these settings are transfered, but with certain Presets, they are not. Tons of "hey, I made the settings in the first screen, but they did not take!" The answer is usually, "yes, but did you check those in the second screen?"

With Presets, one can "clear" custom settings in a hurry, and not realize that they have.

Happy editing,

Hunt