5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 8:57 PM by the_wine_snob

Uninstalling Premiere Elements 4 Deactives all Adobe Products

Interstella5ystem

Hello, I am upgrading to Premiere Elements 7, so I need to uninstall Premiere Elements 4. The problem is, when I uninstall Premiere Elements 4, it deactivates all of my other Adobe products on the system and requires them to have their CD key entered before using. This wouldn't be that big of a problem except this uninstall need to be done on hundreds of computers. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Does anyone know a fix for this problem? I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything related to this issue. I hope it's not specific to only me. Also, I installed Pre Elements 7 and uninstalled it to see if it also affected the other software and it doesn't, it just does with 4.

• 1. Re: Uninstalling Premiere Elements 4 Deactives all Adobe Products
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never heard of this happening. I find it odd behavior, as PrE does not use the same Activation process as most other Adobe programs now do. My guess would be that an Adobe folder needed by the other applications was accidently deleted too. PrE 4 is pretty self-contained, and removal of it should not affect any other Adobe app.

The only issue, even remotely similar, was with the installation of PrE 4, if one also had PrPro, Bridge, AE, PS and AI already installed on the system. In that case, PrE 4 fritzed up the Adobe Production Studio install. A Repair Install of all apps in the Production Studio was required to get them functioning again. Apparently, Adobe had not anticipated that people would have the Production Studio already and then add PrE 4. Obviously, enough did, since Adobe had a KB article on what one needed to do. Was not a big deal, so long as one knew it was coming and how to get the apps. back.

I'd definitely contact Adobe TS and find out what the deal is. I'd search the Adobe KB (Knowledge Base) for any articles on this behavior.

Maybe some user has knowledge to help you, but I've never seen any mention of this problem in any of the fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Uninstalling Premiere Elements 4 Deactives all Adobe Products
            Paul_LS Level 4

If I recall there was an issue with PE4 and Adobe Bridge... there were a couple of posts but I can only find this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1760629#1760629

• 3. Re: Uninstalling Premiere Elements 4 Deactives all Adobe Products
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that installation issue bit many folk. I happened to have seen the KB referenced by the OP before I even knew I had a problem. Sure enough, PrE 4 had killed my entire Production Studio suite. Going back some years, I had posted the links to that KB, as PrE 4 was still being sold and some with Production Studio, or its components, were still having issues.

All I can come up with for the OP would be on the method of uninstalling PrE 4. Gotta' be a folder getting taken out, that needs to be there for the other programs.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Uninstalling Premiere Elements 4 Deactives all Adobe Products
                Interstella5ystem Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I'll do some further digging and hopefully come up with some solution. I'm pretty sure you are right about something being deleted or changed during the uninstall. Both "pcd.db" and "cache.db" in the Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD directory are changed during the uninstall and when I make a backup of them before the uninstall and replace the new ones after the uninstall, the deactivation does not occur. I am not sure this is a 100% fix, I'll have to see if there are any other problems that come up from updating or anything else.

• 5. Re: Uninstalling Premiere Elements 4 Deactives all Adobe Products
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with the process. Please report back, should another user have the same issues and look to this thread for resolution.

Hunt