6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 9:56 AM by yenaphe

Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?

52club Level 1

I think I'm in trouble. I'm finishing a project where a logo (let's call it a box) was built by creating all the sides using solids, then making these solid layers 3D. I then move the CAMERA around the box. That seemed to be a lot easier than trying to move all the 3D layers in front of a camera.

I cannot get any motion blur effect when the camera moves fast. I've tried numerous settings (and of course have the layers enabled for motion blur). Is it not working because the layers aren't in motion? Can I acheive motion blur by animating a camera around 3D layers?

• 1. Re: Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?
          yenaphe Level 4

If the mtion blur switch for your Composition _and_ your camera/layers then it should work.

• 2. Re: Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?
            52club Level 1

Thanks, but I do have motion blur on for the composition and the layers and the render queue. There is no "switch" to turn motion blur on for a camera layer, and of course no 3D switch for a camera because it's inherently 3D.

I used various motion blur (advanced) composition settings, as well as adjusting the camera's apature, fstop, focal length, focal distance, etc. Can't seem to get any motion blur effect. The camera occasionally whip-pans, slows down, speeds up - so it's certainly moving fast enough.

Just wondering if I should have created a Null layer, parent it to the camera and animate the Null because that does have switches for 3D and motion blur.

Why wouldn't motion blur show when animating a camera around an object?

• 3. Re: Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?
              52club Level 1

DUH!

There's a icon in the comp layer panel - looks like tiny diagonal circles - tool tip says "enable motion blur for all layers".

So even if you have each layer's switch on, and adjust motion blur in advanced composition settings, and enable it on render queue - you won't see anything until you hit that little tiny icon.

I guess the only way to enhance motion blur is to parent a camera to a Null layer and use CC Force Motion Blur filter on it.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?
                yenaphe Level 4

You can also check your shutter angle and shutter phase to add more motion blur.

You shouldn't have to use a CC force motion blur.

I've just made a simple test, created a new comp, a new 100px solid in 3D and a new camera. I animated the camera to pan from left to right and activated the mblur icon for the solid and the comp and i do have motion blur.

Are you sure your camera moves fast enough so you can notice the mblur ? Try to change the shutter angle to 360 and phase to -180 (default is 180 / -90) and see if you see any improvements.

• 5. Re: Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?
                  52club Level 1

Thanks. I answered my own question - the motion blur icon in the comp window was turned off. I thought it would still render correctly but no, it needs to be on.

Playing with shutter angle and phase produced some nice results, but I wish these settings could be keyframed. I want extreme mblur for fast movements and be able to change settings when slowed down. Extreme mblur will occur when it slows.

• 6. Re: Why no Motion Blur when animating a camera?
                    yenaphe Level 4

Keyframable motion blur is a frequent feature request, so be sure to let Adobe know your vote by subbmiting this Feature request form.