4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 3:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

Expanding Templates

Go easy on me please, I am pretty new to this. I have a really good grasp on Illustrator and am decent with Photoshop but Dreamweaver is giving me nightmares!

I have recently downloaded a template from a website that assured me the template is expandable regardless of the number of lines of text I need. The template can be found here: http://www.4templates.com/view/professional-templates/12/AX0289GR

As I have been trying to build my new site, I am struggling with getting it to expand for the amount of text I am looking to put in. When I tried it with the templates included with Dreamweaver, it expands as I press enter in the content area. However, when I try to do it with the new template only certain parts expand with the text. The other parts stay where they are and everything becomes pretty messy.

Is there a simple solution to get the box to expand vertically as I enter new text/content without becoming stretched or messed up? Is it best to do it in Photoshop? Is it easier to do it in Dreamweaver?

Sorry if these questions are basic but as I mentioned I am COMPLETELY new to Dreamweaver. Any insight would be much appreciated.
      Thank you
      CP
        • 1. Re: Expanding Templates
          Level 7
          > Sorry if these questions are basic but as I mentioned I am COMPLETELY new
          > to
          > Dreamweaver.

If this means that you are also completely new to HTML and CSS, then take a
          break and get some serious study under your belt. DW will beat you up
          pretty good if you don't know some code.

Post a link to one of your pages, please. To understand what makes this
          'expand' we would have to see the code. To understand why yours is not
          'expanding' as you want, we would have to see the code.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"chinpunkanpun" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6nteb$l7m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Go easy on me please, I am pretty new to this. I have a really good grasp
          > on
          > Illustrator and am decent with Photoshop but Dreamweaver is giving me
          > nightmares!
          >
          > I have recently downloaded a template from a website that assured me the
          > template is expandable regardless of the number of lines of text I need.
          > The
          > template can be found here:
          > http://www.4templates.com/view/professional-templates/12/AX0289GR
          >
          > As I have been trying to build my new site, I am struggling with getting
          > it to
          > expand for the amount of text I am looking to put in. When I tried it
          > with the
          > templates included with Dreamweaver, it expands as I press enter in the
          > content
          > area. However, when I try to do it with the new template only certain
          > parts
          > expand with the text. The other parts stay where they are and everything
          > becomes pretty messy.
          >
          > Is there a simple solution to get the box to expand vertically as I enter
          > new
          > text/content without becoming stretched or messed up? Is it best to do it
          > in
          > Photoshop? Is it easier to do it in Dreamweaver?
          >
          > to
          > Dreamweaver. Any insight would be much appreciated.
          > Thank you
          > CP
          >

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Expanding Templates
            Level 7
            Can't tell anything from screenshots. Can you upload what you have so far
            to a server and post a url to the page(s)? The answer is in the code. My
            guess is that some areas on the template.com page are absolutely positioned
            and of a fixed width and height. Thus they do not flex.

If you intend to work in DW, you really need to get some experience with CSS
            and Html code. DW is not a graphics application so the way you work in it
            is a big departure from what you are accustomed to. Design view isn't
            reliable. Code view is where all the action takes place.

Free CSS & HTML tutorials:
            www.w3schools.com

--Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

news:g6nteb$l7m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Go easy on me please, I am pretty new to this. I have a really good grasp
            on
            > Illustrator and am decent with Photoshop but Dreamweaver is giving me
            > nightmares!
            >
            > I have recently downloaded a template from a website that assured me the
            > template is expandable regardless of the number of lines of text I need.
            The
            > template can be found here:
            > http://www.4templates.com/view/professional-templates/12/AX0289GR
            >
            > As I have been trying to build my new site, I am struggling with getting
            it to
            > expand for the amount of text I am looking to put in. When I tried it
            with the
            > templates included with Dreamweaver, it expands as I press enter in the
            content
            > area. However, when I try to do it with the new template only certain
            parts
            > expand with the text. The other parts stay where they are and everything
            > becomes pretty messy.
            >
            > Is there a simple solution to get the box to expand vertically as I enter
            new
            > text/content without becoming stretched or messed up? Is it best to do it
            in
            > Photoshop? Is it easier to do it in Dreamweaver?
            >
            to
            > Dreamweaver. Any insight would be much appreciated.
            > Thank you
            > CP
            >

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Expanding Templates
              I was afraid that was going to be the answer...
              I am not COMPLETELY new to HTML but fairly new to the world of CSS.

When I get back into the office tomorrow I will put something up for you to take a look at.

Time to hit the books
              thank you for responding!!!
              CP
              • 4. Re: Expanding Templates
                Level 7
                Good luck!

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

news:g6o4a1$sas$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I was afraid that was going to be the answer...
                > I am not COMPLETELY new to HTML but fairly new to the world of CSS.
                >
                > When I get back into the office tomorrow I will put something up for you
                > to
                > take a look at.
                >
                > Time to hit the books
                > thank you for responding!!!
                > CP
                >