1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 10:42 AM by sheryl fillmon

Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera

Predicted_Spider

I have a Sony HDR SR 11 camera that records in AVCHD codec at 1920 X 1080i HD. When I import the m2ts files into Premiere they will get choppy in the time line and the footage breaks up digitally.  No matter what setting I choose it does not import them. Does anyone know if Premire supports this codec? Sony is clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I have to actually render the thing in Sony Vegas Platinum and THEN import it into Premiere if I want it to work that way. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
          Harm Millaard Level 7

AVCHD is supported, at least in CS4. Use an AVCHD preset that matches the resolution and framerate that you shot in. If that does not help, look at the link below, and specifically look at the Wiki link included and answer the 16 questions at the end. BTW, choppy can be caused by an underpowered system.

Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
            Predicted_Spider Level 1

That's the thing. I know it is supported, but I tried every preset when I start a new project and no preset works.

I will look at the link.

I have an Alienware with Dual icore7s and 12gb of RAM. I also use external HD for scratch discs when working with a lot of footage. I dont think its my system.

• 3. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Presumably you are in PAL country (based on the time of your reply), so I would guess you need a sequence preset like this:

07-08-2009 09-26-42.jpg

but you need to choose the preset that matches what you have shot.

Alienware are usually good machines, but Dual icore7s does not directly ring a bell. Do you mean dual Xeon 55xx (Nehalem based) CPU's or single i7-9xx CPU (quad core with hyperthreading)? From a processor point of view, that should be sufficient for editing this material and not be the cause of choppiness. However, the external disk for scratch files, is NOT a USB disk I hope, but an eSATA disk.

• 4. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                Predicted_Spider Level 1

No Im in the US, I am just up late because I am dumb - and that explains my error - I have an icore7 and I have Nvidia GTC 295 GPU cards.

No, they are USB ones. I am looking into getting the eSATA ones.

I tired the versions you are showing though, and it still breaks up. Its odd. I don't quite get it.

I really do appreciate your help and advice. I just wonder what is up with my camera's codec.

• 5. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

How are you getting the media into Premiere?  I believe the correct way is to copy the entire folder structure from the camera/SD card to your computer's hard drive (not just the media files) and use Premiere's Media Browser to enter that folder and import form there.  Or something like that.  It's my understanding that any other method may not work correctly.

• 6. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                    Predicted_Spider Level 1

Sony has software that comes with the camera which anaylzes and imports the footage. I dont recall if I have tried to bypass this and direcely copy the files from hy camera's HD.

Sony's program (PMB  - Picture Motion Browser) Imports my files and they stay as m2ts. Though it does do something to them in the analyzing process. It never occoured to me that this could be the issue as they almost force you to use PMB.

• 7. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

With XDCAM material you have to copy the complete BPAV directory with all it's subdirectories and files to harddisk and have to import the complete BPAV directory with all the subdirectories and files in order to make it work. Those subdirectories and files are crucial.

• 8. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                        Predicted_Spider Level 1

Harm,

(Or anyone else who knows really)

Thanks for your help. Right now I am trying what you suggested. I realize you must be in the UK, so you probably will not answer me until later, but my camera does not have a BPAV folder it has a BDMV folder in the AVCHD folder. I am going to copy the BDMV folder to my hard drive and see if that helps. Any of the files in the BDMV will not import into Premiere other than the actual video file. Do I just need the other files to be accessible in the folder then?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Do I just need the other files to be accessible in the folder then?

Correct.  Premiere doesn't 'import' them.  But it does 'use' them.

• 10. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                            Predicted_Spider Level 1

I copied the entire folder to my hard drive and I have the same issue. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I would imagine Premiere can handle this codec, but it is not doing well with it.

Any other suggestions on what I could be doing wrong? I choose the ones that my camera claims it records in.

1920x1080i HD recording.

Am I choosing the wrong size or what? I choose 1080p for the hell of it and the same issue happens. I will keep trying, but this is confusing me.

• 11. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Try one folder up (copying the folder named AVCHD and everything in it).

If that doesn't work, it starting to look like your system just isn't up to the task of editing AVCHD.

(One final note, on a sneaking suspicion.  Make sure the Playback Quality is set to Highest, and not Draft or Automatic.)

• 12. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                Predicted_Spider Level 1

Well, there is no way its not my system I can tell you that for certain. If you need a better system than what I have in order to edit HD video, then no one would even bother.

Vegas plays the files fine, but Premiere does not.

I also just rendered a file and the issue is not showing up in the final render. I am seeing those little lines in the final cut that one sometimes sees in High quality video, but that can  usually be fixed with rendering.

I dont even know where to change playback quality. Where do I do that?

• 13. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  there is no way its not my system I can tell you that for certain.

What is your system?  There are folks here who try editing with the newest Core i7 and 12 GB of RAM and an ATI 4850 or nVidia 280 and they still have a hard time of it.

Vegas plays the files fine, but Premiere does not.

Two different programs that may well use system resources differently.  You can't properly compare and say from this "it's not the system".

• 14. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                    Predicted_Spider Level 1

Right, right I gotcha, but its not that the system has a lack of resources it is the fact that they are not used properly. I have heard of issues with some dual graphics cards and such with Adobe programs, so i understand that - again, the system has the resources to run the files enough to use them, it is just getting the program to do it.

• 15. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

again, the system has the resources to run the files enough to use them

Well, what exactly are those resources?  What mobo and CPU?  How much memory, at what speed and timings?

• 16. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Don't you understand that Spiderman can't divulge this information, because he is bound by the Official Secrets Act if he tells us.

• 17. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                          Predicted_Spider Level 1

I would divuldge it if I knew exactly what he is asking me. I am not as advacned as he. The system isn;t slow with the video, The video is just being distored in my preview window.

• 18. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

With that willingness, reread post #1.

• 19. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Its probably not your entire problem, but get your scratch files off a USB drive!  Its too slow.

• 20. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I would divuldge it if I knew exactly what he is asking me

If you don't know what your system specs are, how can you possibly say that your system isn't the problem?  That's like someone who knows nothing about engines telling the mechanic that the carburetor is working fine, even though the engine sputters all over the place.

The system isn;t slow with the video

You said playback was choppy.  Is that true, or not?

The video is just being distored in my preview window.

That is probably a separate issue.

• 21. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                  Predicted_Spider Level 1

For some reason, I am sensing animosity. Perhaps it is something I said or the way I worded what I am saying. I will do my best to reply to everyone here.

Harm Millaard wrote:

With that willingness, reread post #1.

Technically, post #1 is my post. Do you mean your first reply? I am not trying to be a smart a** about it, I just am not certain what you mean precisely.

Curt Wrigley wrote:

Its probably not your entire problem, but get your scratch files off a USB drive!  Its too slow.

Yes, I know I need better scratch disks, but I assumed that even USB ones were better than none at all. The issue I have happens even if I don’t use a scratch disk. I know that is not “better” per se, (Though my hard drive is a lot faster than the scratch disks and it always will be.   I can have one short file on my hard drive or scratch disk (5min or less) and I will get the same error.

JSS1138 wrote:

I would divuldge it if I knew exactly what he is asking me

If you don't know what your system specs are, how can you possibly say that your system isn't the problem?  That's like someone who knows nothing about engines telling the mechanic that the carburetor is working fine, even though the engine sputters all over the place.

The system isn;t slow with the video

You said playback was choppy.  Is that true, or not?

The video is just being distored in my preview window.

That is probably a separate issue.

Since I am a beginner to this I am not certain what you are asking me as you are using terms I am not 100% familiar with using I didn’t know you meant motherboard for “mobo” as I do not use that term. I know PC’s fairly well, but I have not taken courses or educated myself on those things.   it was late and I didn’t have the time to look it up, so this is why I am replaying with this today.  With that being said, here are the specs I think you are looking for:

Intel® Core™ i7-940 2.93 GHz 8MB Cache

1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Dual, 792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295

12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 x 2048MB

Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready

Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory  Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

Single Drive Configuration - 300GB Velociraptor SATA 3.0Gb/s 10,000RPM 16MB Cache

While I know I am new to these programs I am not new to video editing. I am by no means an expert either. I have learned a lot on my own and by reading and researching; however, there is A LOT of information and misinformation on Adobe products. I do like the products a lot, but it is not easy to find answers for troubleshooting sometimes when you are new to the programs. This is why I posted here.

My system has no problems handling the files or displaying/playing them unless I import them into Premiere. So, not knowing what the specific issue was, I only assumed it had to be the way I was setting up my project and/or importing the footage.  The digital breakup seems to happen if I import the entire file folder or if I use Sony’s program to analyze and import the files. I am still not certain what is going on here.

I did say the “footage breaks up digitally.” If there is a technical term for it, then I am not aware of it. It is just digital distortion in my source and program monitors. The render seems to come out okay when I tested it, but I do not know why it has that digital distortion in the previews.   I only get slowdowns when I try to use bridge to replace Premiere files with After Effects comps (i.e. create effects in that premier file) but I have read that many people have problems using this too. I am new to using Premiere but not After Effects so I have not used this feature before and it seems great in theory, but I have not had success in practice.   Again, if my posts were coming off curt or snooty or something, then I apologize as that was not my intent.

Now, if you see something in my information I posted that logically or typically lends it self to digital distortion, then let me know. Still, I would wonder why Vegas can play and preview the files fine, but Premiere cannot. Do those programs have known conflicts when installed on the same computer?

• 22. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Overall, it's a very nice system.  But it is still entirely possible that any choppiness during playback is because AVCHD is a bear to edit and your system just can't handle it (and remember, editing in Premiere takes far more resources than just playback in another program).  I won't claim that to be a fact, just a possibility you should not dismiss.

The breakup is likely a separate issue from playback choppiness.  If you could post a screenshot so we can see what a frame looks like when it's broken up, it may help.

• 23. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

A couple of remarks about your system:

Dual GTX295 is a complete waste. Adobe can not use them. A single card performs equally well and possibly by using two, you may be introducing problems.

Your disk setup is way underpowered. Better sell one videocard and get 3 or more internal disks and you will notice a significant performance improval.

Can you post a screenshot of the broken up image?

• 24. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                        Predicted_Spider Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I will try and post a screen shot at some point tonight or tomorrow. The distorition is sometimes hard to see unless its playing, but I will try and get it for you if I can.

Good point about premiere using more resources. I did not consider that (oddly enough)

• 25. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                          BobBenson Level 1

I have a Sony HDR-SR11 and I also use a Core i7 machine with nVidia 260 video card. I have no problem importing and editing the M2TS files with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. Playback is very smooth.

The trick is to import the files to your local hard disk first using Sony's PMB software, then import the files into Adobe Premiere.

Be sure you update your PMB software to V4.2.1.0 or later and be sure to download the BD (Blu-ray disc) AddOn0901 for PMB.

My video disk is striped as a RAID 0, which I highly recommend.

Good luck.

• 26. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                            Predicted_Spider Level 1

I didnt get the dual specifically for Adobe, and I have heard dual can mess up some programs. Why does not adobe not use them?

So, what you mean is I need more internal hard drives.

• 27. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                              Predicted_Spider Level 1

jrben1@comcast.net wrote:

I have a Sony HDR-SR11 and I also use a Core i7 machine with nVidia 260 video card. I have no problem importing and editing the M2TS files with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. Playback is very smooth.

The trick is to import the files to your local hard disk first using Sony's PMB software, then import the files into Adobe Premiere.

Be sure you update your PMB software to V4.2.1.0 or later and be sure to download the BD (Blu-ray disc) AddOn0901 for PMB.

My video disk is striped as a RAID 0, which I highly recommend.

Good luck.

I have imported using the PMB and imported the files to premiere. I do not use the render options PMB has. Ugh.. I dont like them.

I will look for the updates.

At the risk of sounding like a n00b, I have no idea what you mean about stripping to RAID 0, I will have to look into it.

• 28. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                Gary Agoura

WOW - Another person with the EXACT same problem that I have but I have a Mac Pro Quad with 6GB of RAM running OSX 10.5.8.

I have the same Sony camera also.   What I had to do is bring in the video through Final Cut Express and then bring into Premiere Pro CS4.  I am interested in a resolution to this problem also.

• 29. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                  Predicted_Spider Level 1

YAY I am not alone.

lol

Yeah, as I said, the only way I could do it was to bring mine into Vegas since I am on a PC. I can certainly let you know if I figure it out or if the tips here from people help me.

• 30. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                    Gary Agoura Level 1

So can I use that PMB software from Sony to bring in the video then Import into Premiere?  Looks like I can but I am at work right now and can't try it until I get home.

• 31. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                                      At the risk of sounding like a n00b, I have no idea what you mean about stripping to RAID 0, I will have to look into it.

A RAID stands for a 'Redundant Array of Inexpensive/Independent Disks'. It is a means to improve performance. Raid0 is when two disks are seen as a single disk by the OS and all disk actions are spread across both disks, they are being striped. Here is some background on raid arrays:

http://www.raid.com/04_00.html

• 32. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                        BobBenson Level 1

Yes, that is correct. Be sure to update your PMB software first. You must have an older version on your computer and you will have to connect your camcorder in order to update the software. After the clips have been imported to your hard drive you can then import them into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. You might find it helpful to preview the clips in Adobe Media Browser, but that is your call.

• 33. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                          Gary Agoura Level 1

What a nightmare.  I have a laptop I thought I would test the PMB software with.  The laptop is running Vista.  I tried to install the original version of PMG (that came with my camera 2.0 something) and it crashed during installation.  No problem I thought.  Reboot and try again.  Well, during the second attempt, the install screwed up Vista.  Vista then tried to recover by saying it was trying to fix itself.

Vista was damaged beyond repair.  I tried to do a restore to previous settings and that didn't work.  Finally I had to reinstall Vista.  What a pain in the a$$.

Lucky for me the laptop is a loaner which I have for two weeks.  I get a new laptop at the end of the month.   I am now afraid to try to reinstall PMB again so I think I will stay with the setup that I have.

Back to the Macintosh computer.   I think I will stay with Final Cut Express 4 and maybe not deal with Premiere until they get it fixed.

I still can use Premiere to edit the video that I captured using Final Cut Express.

What an evening I had last night.

• 34. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                            Predicted_Spider Level 1

So, I have an update to this but I do not know if the information will help. It took me a while to render last night and when I checked it this morning the video file had jumps in it. Let me explain, Think of how Max Headroom used to look. It is like my image is vanishing and reappearing. I am not sure what is doing this as I do not think this is necessarily the same issue.

This could be the way I was using After Effects in bridge to key out items. Or it could be how I chose to render the file.

I will try to get some samples when I fix it this evening. My question is - has anyone seen the max headroom syndrome in their videos?

• 35. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

That seems to indicate reversed field order.

-Jeff

• 36. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                                Predicted_Spider Level 1

Jeff,

I am new to this, so please can you let me know how to fix that? I have a couple video tracks. One, that is actual video and others that have jpgs and titles in them.

• 37. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Interlaced 1080 AVCHD footage is upper field first.  Check that your sequence settings and your export settings maintain that field order and that you do not inadvertantly switch to lower field first sequence or use a lower field first export preset.

-Jeff

• 38. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                                    Predicted_Spider Level 1

Thanks! It may have said lower field first. I generally do not touch that dropdown in the render process as I have yet to need to do so. I will check that.

• 39. Re: Help with importing footage correctly with Sony Camera
                                                                                      Predicted_Spider Level 1

Hello All,

Sigh, well it's just not working well for me lol

I have rendered this several times. I got one to work, but I want to change my background color. I am trying to alter my size down to 1280x720 without getting any black bars on the video and I cannot render to flash as I need a different file type. Blu ray worked, but I forgot it separates the audio and that is not good to me.

Below is a jpg with the dsitorition around the face and a rendered clip with no sound of the max headroom effect. I rendered with the upper field first so I do not know why I got this error.

I thought this might be easier than you all downloading.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/Test-for-forums.jpg

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=r.flv

I will try to render again in the mean time. Even reducing the  bit rate makes my 8 min video take 3 hours.

1 2 Previous Next