2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 9:44 AM by jfraze

Removing white background around image in Illustrator

leahzierke

I used the custom shape tool in Photoshop to make a paw print and then took it into Illustrator and used the Live Trace tool to vectorize it (as the image will be used in an Illustrator file). Now I cannot figure out how to remove the white background from around it. I have a gradient behind the image and must have the white box removed from it. I'm sure the method is probably quite simple but I am rather new to Illustrator so would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Removing white background around image in Illustrator
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

leahzierke wrote:

I used the custom shape tool in Photoshop to make a paw print and then took it into Illustrator and used the Live Trace tool to vectorize it (as the image will be used in an Illustrator file). Now I cannot figure out how to remove the white background from around it. I have a gradient behind the image and must have the white box removed from it. I'm sure the method is probably quite simple but I am rather new to Illustrator so would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!!

Sounds a pretty crooked workflow. Create the paw as a a path in Photoshop, select it with the path tool, copy&paste it into Illustrator. Works much better and avoids all pitfalls. For your trace problem: Make sure to choose Ignore White.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Removing white background around image in Illustrator
            jfraze Level 1

If you have the path already created in Illustrator, however it got there, all you need to do is fill it with a color. Then you can delete the pasted image.

For something as simple as a paw print I'd recommend hand-tracing it with the pen tool though, even if you're new to Illustrator. The auto-trace function is likely to give very rough results.